Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:
Old 12-15-14, 01:10 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-09, 08:43 PM
UpInTheLex
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Bro I've got a '95 and I'm all Nakamitchie-ed out and my amp is blown due to water damage from a previous trunk leak.

I wanna loose the 12 disk changer/amp and put in my alpine in dash but I want to have the sub be powered without installing an amp. i've got a couple old crappy amps I could turn the gain down on, but I really don't want to have to mess with it or do a whole rewire job.

How would you suggest I got about it?
Old 07-28-09, 09:26 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryeno
The only reason you have to do this whole antenna update is because you didnt listen to me when i told you pink/blue was rem/amp wire while pink/green was ant. Thats a ghetto fix because If you just wired it up to right to begin with, that wouldnt have been an issue.
What is your problem dude? Every thread I see with you, you post up like you know everything and you come off as a complete *******, explains a lot why a lot of people on here hate you LOL

I updated this How-To for people who are using it - plus your way wouldn't have worked anyways because of how the remote/amp wire is tied into the antenna wire REGARDLESS of how it's connected up front, and it affects the way the antenna mast operates depending on source. Otherwise I would have left the How-To as it is.
Old 07-29-09, 05:43 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just completed my install today using this how to. This was the first time I've ever installed a stereo.

I just followed the guide bought the parts at radio shack, checked the connections twice before soldering, and I'm done!

Thanks a million for writing this up!!

Last edited by RyanV; 07-29-09 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 08:05 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

UPDATED 07-29-09:
- Revised subwoofer/antenna fix
- Updated harness diagram for subwoofer/antenna fix
- Added photo sample from RyanV
Old 08-03-09, 12:33 AM
TumblerZ30
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome write-up raine and thank you for taking the time out of your day to benefit the rest of us. I believe within the forum rules thread, there is a section that states, pay no attention to ryeno. Ever.
Old 08-03-09, 01:50 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TumblerZ30
Awesome write-up raine and thank you for taking the time out of your day to benefit the rest of us. I believe within the forum rules thread, there is a section that states, pay no attention to ryeno. Ever.
no problem on both counts
Old 08-24-09, 09:33 AM
Mr.412
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does ANYONE know what I have to do to install an aftermarket head unit because I DO HAVE THE Nakamichi system????? please help!!!!!
Old 08-26-09, 02:26 AM
shamblix
Driver School Candidate

Hey Raine, I followed your guide but I am running into a little problem.

First, I haven't got the RCA to speaker wire cable yet. Im trying to get my little speakers working first. Is that okay?

I followed every step, i made the mod to the sub-amp as well.

When I turn the ignition, the CD player turns on, and when I start playing a CD the cd players turns off right when audio starts. If I put the volume all the way down the track keeps playing, but if I put the volume up at all, it turns off and I dont hear any audio.

What can be the problem?
My head-unit doesnt have a dimmer wire, i dont know why :/
I have a Kenwood Excelon xxv-01D

I can take pics of the head unit and wires and rear amp if you need it
Old 08-26-09, 02:38 AM
shamblix
Driver School Candidate

Oh yea,

Once the cd player turns off, it wont turn back on. I don't know what exactly I did to get it to turn back on, but it's a combination of switching the car on and off and moving the battery and power wires.

Also, I took the OEM sub out and put in an aftermarket 400w 10.
Old 08-26-09, 06:19 AM
BSC300TT
Lead Lap

sounds like you have a direct short in your speakers. double check you connections. Pretty sure the radio is going into protect, and you do not have to have the rca's hooked up for the interior speakers to work. Sorry for chiming in on your thread Raine, just my professional opinion. Feel free to give me and him your input.
Old 08-26-09, 08:57 AM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BSC300TT
sounds like you have a direct short in your speakers. double check you connections. Pretty sure the radio is going into protect, and you do not have to have the rca's hooked up for the interior speakers to work. Sorry for chiming in on your thread Raine, just my professional opinion. Feel free to give me and him your input.
No problem man... and that sounds about right, seems like something's going on with the speakers. Disconnect the speaker wires and see if the head unit still does funny stuff. Oh and the RCA-to-speaker wire question, unless you like removing the head unit a lot, you're going to want to have it when you do this since there's no way to connect the RCA to the back of the head unit without pulling the head unit cage out
Old 08-26-09, 11:50 AM
shamblix
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys.

Thanks for the update. I'm headed out to work, so i will stop by radio shack and grab that RCA wire and try this again when I get home.

I might have missed one step. Step B connection A11 (ground wire)
Is this wire already grounded, or do I have to ground it. If I have to do this then I missed it. Could this cause the cd players to shut off?

Thanks again!
Old 08-26-09, 12:07 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shamblix
Hey guys.

Thanks for the update. I'm headed out to work, so i will stop by radio shack and grab that RCA wire and try this again when I get home.

I might have missed one step. Step B connection A11 (ground wire)
Is this wire already grounded, or do I have to ground it. If I have to do this then I missed it. Could this cause the cd players to shut off?

Thanks again!
A11 is supposed to be ground for the factory head unit... and as for the shut off problem, if there's no ground then the head unit shouldn't even turn on - so I don't think that's the problem. From your posts since the problem happens as you raise the volume, I'd still take a look at the speaker wiring first.
Old 08-26-09, 05:44 PM
shamblix
Driver School Candidate

I have another question I want to clear about the wires for my cd player. Looking at my user manuel, it shows me the connector function guide. The speaker wires aside, the guide says there are 5 wires:
Yellow = batter
Blue/white = power control
Orange/white = dimmer (I don't have this wire)
Red = ignition (acc)
Black = earth/ground

Can you please clarify which wires goes where because I'm not sure since the sc300 has one wire for power and batter. Thanks again.

Last edited by shamblix; 08-26-09 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-26-09, 07:13 PM
raine
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shamblix
I have another question I want to clear about the wires for my cd player. Looking at my user manuel, it shows me the connector function guide. The speaker wires aside, the guide says there are 5 wires:
Yellow = batter
Blue/white = power control
Orange/white = dimmer (I don't have this wire)
Red = ignition (acc)
Black = earth/ground

Can you please clarify which wires goes where because I'm not sure since the sc300 has one wire for power and batter. Thanks again.
Do you have a link to the installation manual online for your particular head unit? I can help you ID the 5 wires you need to connect to where.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: SC300/SC400 Install Aftermarket Head Unit, OEM Speakers and Sub Working!