Sponsored by:

New system install going kaput

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 09:24 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well-- That would be correct-- I doubt the guys are completely stupid --

The wires you had running to your harness from your head unit amp are now running to the new outboard amp-- I guess you eliminated your oem amp alltogether--

We're just trying to make sure you have the factory amp disconnected completely from the speakers as well as power if you're not using it -- If the factory amp and aftermarket amp were both powered up and both connected to each speaker that would make a serious problem--

Soooo-- You said you disconnected the sub and the amp stopped cutting off-- I wonder if you ever tested that sub with a multimeter-- If the speaker wire were damaged to it the meter would read a short-- or 0.000 resistance/ohms -- instead of 6.8 ohms-- which is what it should read if wired in series like you say it is--

The next thing is-- your factory speakers are much more sensitive than the aftermarkets, meaning that per 10w they'll have much more output-- but be driven to their max output much more quickly-- The aftermarket components will take a lot more power to make the same volume, but be able to use more power to achieve even higher total volume levels--

I would leave the sub disconnected, and look at where your gains for the front speakers are set-- you may need to turn the gains up a good bit to get the amp making some more power-- maybe 1/4 turn to start-- which should be a noticeable increase-- Bass output will still be determined by the crossover frequency-- you may want to turn the front xovers down to about 85~hz -- they may be set higher as of right now-- I've always had good results with 80~100hz for 6.5's -- different mids play lower than others-- My cadence mids will play down to 80hz very well-- but they're huge and look like aluminum subs more than mids--

If this increase in gain and proper setting of the crossover doesn't net a noticeable increase of front speaker output-- you may have an amp problem given that the speaker wires you're using were working fine on the deck power--

These adjustments should however really increase the output and may just be the reason you're not satisfied with the volume level--

A 50w channel will really need a good push to get a solid component set to really crank---

I'd be interested to see what a multimeter reads on that sub if the adjustments above do make a big difference for you--

After these steps listed, you will know your amp is bad, but until then you can't be sure--

1.Signal to amp is unobstructed (good quality unbroken RCA's from good h/u)
2.Power wire to amp is adequate-- you have 4ga so it should be fine there
3.Speaker wires are unbroken and something bigger than 22ga --(which still wouldn't cause this problem)
4.Speakers are working properly and undamaged-- (as in good voice coils that are not smoked/seized and shorting the amp channel)

At this point I'd be metering every speaker wire with a multimeter to check the ohms/resistance at each speaker-- if you see 0.00 ohms at any of the speaker wires-- that's a wire with a short in it (pos is touching neg somewhere)-- IF it reads "OL" the wire is broken (lead is severed somewhere= likely not the case if you have sound at all speakers and ran good wire)

IF -- by chance a shop is able to bench test your amp just to verify it's in proper working order-- and load test it with a sub-- that would be a good option -- most will do it for $30 -- some will do it free--

OR-- You could just hook up the amp in another car-- with only the sub connected-- that would tell you if the amp is fine-- if you get the sub kicking good and it's not throwing the amp into protection--

The alternator-- I'm sure you would know if you had a bad alternator-- you wouldn't need to step up above the oem amperage -- 100A is more than enough to run this amp and maybe a small sub amp too-- I was just being certain your alternator wasn't near toasted making 8v and 25a or something--
Old 04-14-07, 06:24 AM
clammbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
Well-- That would be correct-- I doubt the guys are completely stupid --

The wires you had running to your harness from your head unit amp are now running to the new outboard amp-- I guess you eliminated your oem amp alltogether--

We're just trying to make sure you have the factory amp disconnected completely from the speakers as well as power if you're not using it -- If the factory amp and aftermarket amp were both powered up and both connected to each speaker that would make a serious problem--

Soooo-- You said you disconnected the sub and the amp stopped cutting off-- I wonder if you ever tested that sub with a multimeter-- If the speaker wire were damaged to it the meter would read a short-- or 0.000 resistance/ohms -- instead of 6.8 ohms-- which is what it should read if wired in series like you say it is--

The next thing is-- your factory speakers are much more sensitive than the aftermarkets, meaning that per 10w they'll have much more output-- but be driven to their max output much more quickly-- The aftermarket components will take a lot more power to make the same volume, but be able to use more power to achieve even higher total volume levels--

I would leave the sub disconnected, and look at where your gains for the front speakers are set-- you may need to turn the gains up a good bit to get the amp making some more power-- maybe 1/4 turn to start-- which should be a noticeable increase-- Bass output will still be determined by the crossover frequency-- you may want to turn the front xovers down to about 85~hz -- they may be set higher as of right now-- I've always had good results with 80~100hz for 6.5's -- different mids play lower than others-- My cadence mids will play down to 80hz very well-- but they're huge and look like aluminum subs more than mids--

If this increase in gain and proper setting of the crossover doesn't net a noticeable increase of front speaker output-- you may have an amp problem given that the speaker wires you're using were working fine on the deck power--

These adjustments should however really increase the output and may just be the reason you're not satisfied with the volume level--

A 50w channel will really need a good push to get a solid component set to really crank---

I'd be interested to see what a multimeter reads on that sub if the adjustments above do make a big difference for you--

After these steps listed, you will know your amp is bad, but until then you can't be sure--

1.Signal to amp is unobstructed (good quality unbroken RCA's from good h/u)
2.Power wire to amp is adequate-- you have 4ga so it should be fine there
3.Speaker wires are unbroken and something bigger than 22ga --(which still wouldn't cause this problem)
4.Speakers are working properly and undamaged-- (as in good voice coils that are not smoked/seized and shorting the amp channel)

At this point I'd be metering every speaker wire with a multimeter to check the ohms/resistance at each speaker-- if you see 0.00 ohms at any of the speaker wires-- that's a wire with a short in it (pos is touching neg somewhere)-- IF it reads "OL" the wire is broken (lead is severed somewhere= likely not the case if you have sound at all speakers and ran good wire)

IF -- by chance a shop is able to bench test your amp just to verify it's in proper working order-- and load test it with a sub-- that would be a good option -- most will do it for $30 -- some will do it free--

OR-- You could just hook up the amp in another car-- with only the sub connected-- that would tell you if the amp is fine-- if you get the sub kicking good and it's not throwing the amp into protection--

The alternator-- I'm sure you would know if you had a bad alternator-- you wouldn't need to step up above the oem amperage -- 100A is more than enough to run this amp and maybe a small sub amp too-- I was just being certain your alternator wasn't near toasted making 8v and 25a or something--
Yesterday I disconnected the Sub, turned the music up some and the system started cutting out.....so it seems to do it with or without the sub hooked up....I have some time this weekend since my other car has a system in it I am going to swap the amps.....so now I beleive that I have eliminated the sub as the problem....so I guess it's either the amp or the charging system...I will find out this weekend......
Old 04-14-07, 03:35 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

meter each speaker lead before you switch amps-- you don't want to damage your other amp-- read the resistance at each speaker wire -- ohms--
Old 04-15-07, 10:11 AM
clammbo
Driver School Candidate

Default hooked up new amp

ok I hooked up the new amp, ppi pc 650......turned system up without sub connected, no problem........now here is the problem, on this amp there is a place to put the wires for the sub, but no place to put the rca's for the sub????? I will post a picture if need be..
Old 04-15-07, 10:45 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

It uses the front rca's to feed the sub channel, or maybe the rears-- But either way, you just answered one of my questions about your RCA config-- I guess you have a set for front, rear, and sub right?? Not that it matters, I was just wondering-- Maybe those guys weren't so dumb afterall--

Just throw the sub in there and test it-- It's possible that your JL amp needs repair-- They'll do that sometimes, where they still seem to work, but cut out under heavy power use-- and sound (almost) fine at low/medium volumes-- but still need repair-- pretty strange-- maybe you're still under warranty-- Either way having it repaired shouldn't be a hassle--

Those were the days when PPI and Xtant were the top dawgs-- Zero problems with their amps for well past the intended use time--
Old 04-15-07, 04:39 PM
clammbo
Driver School Candidate

WOW.......works like a charm, and the sound from the sub is amazing.....All I can say is wow......thanks for all your help!!!!!!
Old 04-15-07, 04:59 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

So you've got a GS huh? I'm just wondering how that VQ fits in the factory sub cutout--

I'm working on ideas for subs in the rear deck right now--