Sponsored by:

Argh! Speaker rattle!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-01, 11:40 AM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Argh! Speaker rattle!

It looks like my driver speaker may be crapping out. I had one of my U2 CDs in the other day when I noticed rattling coming from the speaker area when it got bassy. I tried pushing the door and holding the cloth grill cover, but it seems the rattle is coming from the speaker itself. This sucks. There's not much more annoying than a speaker rattle. At least it'll will complement my door rattle.

The problem is that I literally can't afford to fix it right now. Have any of you had similar troubles? Can you suggest any low cost/no cost methods to fix the speaker?

I'm thinking about possibly getting another set of reasonably priced 4" speakers and dropping them in. But I'm not sure the difficulty, how the sound will match, and if the 4 Ohm impedance will quiet the output.

I appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks,

Brian
Old 10-07-01, 12:26 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Speakers are very easy to change. You have to be careful taking of the door panle though. I have couple of used MB Quart Q series midranges if you want. They sound beautiful.
Old 10-07-01, 09:20 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

I wasn't sure what kind of wiring is on the door speakers. I printed Bannana's instructions on how to remove the door panel and, like most toyotas, it's easy to do. I just want it sounding any different (well, worse). I wouldn't mind swapping with some aftermarkets if I'm not going to lose volume or if someone might tell I did something to the door speakers.

Sadly I may be selling my baby, and I don't want to do anything that might keep someone from buying.

Are the MB's stock size (4"??)? I might be willing to take 'em off your hands if I was to get a deal.

Brian
Old 10-07-01, 11:34 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They are 4" midranges. Tested them in my car running them in my kickpanels and they sound very nice. Problem is that the dust caps on the speakers are a little bend. From what I know they have been used by one owner and were run for highs therefore they have never seen bass (the only thing that can damage the speaker).

So as I mentioned they have bent dust cups but it does not affect the performance at all. I want $80 for them shipped.
Old 10-08-01, 08:19 PM
Brian S
Lead Lap

Hmmm, thanks for the offer, but I think I'll keep looking.

Brian