Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Carputer - SC guys what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 10:47 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I already picked up a couple of Xenarc 700TSV screens for myself & autocouturesc...It is a little wider than the radio trim, but I'm sure I can trim it down easily...

I'm probably going to jump on the Via Epia M10000 Nehemiah and try to put this thing together soon...but I have to wait for a bunch of parts coming in the mail so it's gonna take a while...

Like a lot of you guys are saying, this thread is all "talk, talk, talk"...so let's just keep it quiet until one of us actually makes a working version and then we can take it from there...
Old 06-21-04, 11:08 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the LCDs today. Looks like a very ambitious project. And then, there's the other project we have....
Old 06-22-04, 04:39 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Siniquezu, you gotta tell me more, when im in LA in a few weeks!!!
Old 06-22-04, 09:14 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

awesome ive been wanting to do this, couple questions tho

this will work with my already installed alpine cva 1006 right? (also will I have enough plugs availivble? currently i have a dva 5200 and a 6 disc changer hooked up to it)

also, what is wrong with building a normal sized pc and putting it in the trunk? what would the pc need to make it car compatible?

also u guys were talking about getting on the internet with a wireless card.... how would this work? I mean I understand that it would work if you were near your house... but can someone elaborate?

thanx in advance
Old 06-22-04, 09:37 AM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by siniquezu
Saw the LCDs today. Looks like a very ambitious project. And then, there's the other project we have....
*shhh*
Old 06-22-04, 10:26 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by EUROJulian
A OK. Personaly I do not care for music. I was thinking of DVDs. CD I would still keep in oryginal player as I`m keeping factory system.
cd dvd same thing whatever, put whatever drive you want in the thing...
my point is, its like a computer case, you can put what you want in it...
Old 06-22-04, 02:57 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no offense to anyone....

Tony and AC, I wasn't singling you all out with the "hush hush" comments. It's just all week, almost every thread I read, be it about a project I actually want to attempt or just something I'm curious to read about (such as this carputer project) I'm seeing more and more of this "it's a secret" or "I'm keeping the details hush hush for now" stuff and it's, for lack of a better word, very "chick-like." I see this community as a group of (mostly) men, auto enthusiasts if you will, who come together to share ideas and opinions about cars, Lexus's in particular. But when I see the secret stuff I just roll my eyes and say to myself, "is it that serious dude?" I mean I'm no auto maniac, and I'm not in any auto competitions, so I guess I just don't see the point in keeping any portion of a project a secret. If someone asked me what I was doing to my car next I'd just tell them, and I'd go as deep into detail as they wanted, but that's just me. I'm open like that. It reminds me of being in high school to tell you the truth, like at a science fair where there's that one kid with the thick nerdy glasses who has his project under a sheet so no one can see it until the judges come by. "its mine it's mine and you can't see it!" If that makes any sense....

PS-AutoCoutureSC, just ignore anyone doubting your project. They're not worth your time.

Last edited by mikeloc24; 06-22-04 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-22-04, 03:29 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

MikeLoc: autocouturesc and myself were going to build this thing carefully together taking our time, but now that this thread has come up with a lot of interest, we're both scrambling to piece this thing together.

I have been reading a lot of the mp3car forums and many people always redo their system once they have it done. I was planning to have everything perfect the first time, but there are still some bugs which I am clearing out. I am just going to whip a mini-pc in my trunk for the time being to test all the components and then after I get that squared away, I'll be building a custom case in the dashboard somewhere on the passenger side since I don't have an airbag there.

Anyway, it seems very hush hush because we really don't know exactly what we're going to be including in this project yet. All I know is that it's going to have a 7" touchscreen used for MP3, DVD, Navigation, and LOTS OF GAMES!!!

This thing won't be done for at least another month or so, implementation of the 7" touchscreen into the radio area is a pain. Also, it's our first time working with fiberglass/bondo/carbon fibre so it's not going to be the prettiest. But like I said, there's going to be many revisions and they'll get better each time.
Old 06-22-04, 03:32 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

can someone answer my questions above?
Old 06-22-04, 04:09 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

Is it possible to integrate a SSF computer like a shuttle into a car? There is more power available, you can actually put in a video card and sound card and it won't be much bigger than a carputer.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1
Old 06-22-04, 04:20 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

I have been reading a lot of the mp3car forums and many people always redo their system once they have it done. I was planning to have everything perfect the first time, but there are still some bugs which I am clearing out.
thanks for heading up this effort. I defintely hear you loud and clear about buying components, only to rip them out at a later time.
Old 06-22-04, 04:27 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Batmanwcm
Is it possible to integrate a SSF computer like a shuttle into a car? There is more power available, you can actually put in a video card and sound card and it won't be much bigger than a carputer.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...tby=14&order=1
Excellent suggestion!!!
Old 06-22-04, 04:31 PM
AaronE
Pole Position

Originally posted by ACleanSC4
This thing won't be done for at least another month or so, implementation of the 7" touchscreen into the radio area is a pain. Also, it's our first time working with fiberglass/bondo/carbon fibre so it's not going to be the prettiest. But like I said, there's going to be many revisions and they'll get better each time.
Why is this turning out to be hard? Isn't there hollow area underneath the side trim (like where the volume **** is)? If the viewable display is 7" diagonal at 16:9 aspect, that's only 6.1" wide. The package shows 7.35" wide, but couldn't the non-visible area (5/8" on each side) be tucked under the trim?
Old 06-22-04, 04:31 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

i found this thread comparing the shuttle and the m10K, still no clear verdict.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hlight=shuttle

which is the better foundation for growth?
Old 06-22-04, 04:45 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

buying a shuttle and slapping it in the trunk is easy, but we're trying to make it look stock and clean. You know the SC has hardly any space to work with so inside the dashboard somewhere is my first try. I will just slap it in the car with a shuttle for testing purposes before I remove it and make some custom mods into the dashboard.

There is also a special power supply by Opus which will start up the carputer when key is in the ignition and shut down when the key is removed. This unit costs about $160 for the 150w version and $200 for the 200w version. I'm going to drive down to Laguna Hills to meet the creator of this and see if he can give me any more insight in this project.

ez_rhino - I believe you can use your Alpine screen as long as it has extra video/audio inputs. Not sure about the other items. I'm completely removing my 12-disc changer and radio altogether and make a custom enclosure for something else in place of the 12-disc changer.

aarone - I'll snap a picture of it later to show you the fitment issues...

Going to Fry's Electronics right now to hopefully pick up some parts, will post updates later...

Last edited by ACleanSC4; 06-22-04 at 04:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Carputer - SC guys what do you think