LC Model (2018-present)

Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 10:03 AM
IowaLC
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll go ahead and put this here just in case it helps someone else. I was having a bunch of brake squeal but just found a rock between the shield and rotor on the passenger side front. I was relieved that it wasn't the same issue others have experienced.
Old 04-17-19, 06:57 PM
RichKeagy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus of Riverside (sunny Southern California) just did the brake replacement on my white LC500.
Initial impression: Positive. No noise at all.
Everything was free and they hand-washed the car before returning it.
Lexus of Riverside rocks!
Old 04-20-19, 06:04 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How are those doing after the tsb in the longer term?
Old 04-20-19, 06:29 PM
dinobantin
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After replacing my performance brakes with none performance once from Lexus, my lc began to shake whenever i applied the brakes, took it to Lexus and found out the front rotors were severely damaged, don't know how and why, and it was a surprise to them too just 8kmiles on it.
but all the same, they have decided to replace them with a brand new one.
so it should be here in a couple of days. I should have stuck with my performance brake pads.
Old 04-23-19, 09:36 PM
2007sc430
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what they did for the 2019. I have about 350 miles on mine and brakes are silent. One of the many updates for 2019 was "revised brake feel" which isn't mentioned in the presskit but is found in dealer literature. I wonder if this means that I have the same pads they are using for the TSB swap on the 2018?
Old 04-24-19, 05:28 AM
anchaf3
Pit Crew

Received 113 Likes on 46 Posts

does anybody know the coefficient of friction of the stock brake pads?
Old 06-27-19, 11:19 AM
DWR46
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over the last few months we have been working with Warren at RB Performance Brakes in California (www.racingbrake.com) (714-871-6392) to develop a LOW DUST high performance street pad for the LC500. I am pleased to report they now are available. This pad uses their XT910 material that has worked so well with various Mercedes-Benz and BMW street applications. The pads are currently available for the front of the LC500, as the factory pads on the front create far more dust than the rear pads. Oh, by the way, the price was very reasonable.

These are designed to be a perfect fit to replace the factory pads. We have now used them for a few hundred miles and are thrilled. The new pads provide great stopping power, very little dust and NO noise.

RB has a specific “break-in” procedure for the pads. FOLLOW IT. Then you will finally have great, low dust brakes for the LC500.

Hopefully, as more pads are sold to LC500 owners, RB performance will be willing to fund the process of producing the rear pads for the car. This would be the final item needed to address, what is in my opinion, the greatest weakness of these cars.

Just to be clear, I have no relationship with RB Performance Brake other than being a customer. When I approached them about front pads for the LC500, they were in the process of developing the pads, but did not have a “real” customer to use to try out the pads. Warren was great to work with; they are responsive and real “stand up” people. They are a fine company to do business with.
Old 01-21-20, 03:20 PM
Faustiano
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I am finally going to get the TSB for the replacement pads (the noise was really just too annoying and bedding them in did not improve the situation). Since the car has 10K miles on those brakes and rotors, the dealer recommend that I get my rotors resurfaced before putting on the new pads. It makes sense, but I wanted to see if anyone else had comments regarding the resurfacing at 10K miles... is it necessary?

Old 01-21-20, 03:32 PM
uchujin
Advanced

Received 145 Likes on 98 Posts

With only 10K miles, I wouldn't resurface the rotors - unless they feel out-of-round of course. I'm not sure how beefy the LC rotors are, but my experience with other Lexota rotors is - they're only good for one resurfacing. Others have done the TSB pads with 10K or more miles - with no issues.

Last edited by uchujin; 01-21-20 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-21-20, 05:48 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by Faustiano
So I am finally going to get the TSB for the replacement pads (the noise was really just too annoying and bedding them in did not improve the situation). Since the car has 10K miles on those brakes and rotors, the dealer recommend that I get my rotors resurfaced before putting on the new pads. It makes sense, but I wanted to see if anyone else had comments regarding the resurfacing at 10K miles... is it necessary?

You should never have to resurface (turn) a rotor:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ke-rotors.html

Lou
The following users liked this post:
uchujin (01-21-20)
Old 01-21-20, 05:54 PM
Faustiano
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by uchujin
With only 10K miles, I wouldn't resurface the rotors - unless they feel out-of-round of course. I'm not sure how beefy the LC rotors are, but my experience with other Lexota rotors is - they're only good for one resurfacing. Others have done the TSB pads with 10K or more miles - with no issues.
Originally Posted by flowrider
You should never have to resurface (turn) a rotor:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ke-rotors.html

Lou
Thanks Guys! Appreciate the quick responses!

Old 11-11-20, 03:56 PM
woodranch
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you Lou, it sounds like they still put on the same pads on the 2020’s because that is what I have. Not sure if I should take it to Lexus and have them replaced according to the TSB...
Old 11-11-20, 05:44 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

^^^^And they're still being used on some of the 2021s. Base and Touring Package now get the lower performing TSB pads while the Sport Package and above get the HiPo pads. I have the Touring Package, so if I were buying my LC today, I would not be happy. IMHO, the HiPo pads are a great pad and equal to the Ferodo pads I had on my ISF.

Lou
Old 11-11-20, 11:04 PM
AirForce8
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 38 Posts

This was an issue I worried about after reading here. I have a 2021 with the performance brakes(~3000miles)and the only advice I can give is to keep your wheels clean. Im obsessive about washing my cars and don't go more than 4-7 days without washing the LC including the wheels. My brakes make no sounds so my only suggestion is to keep the wheels clean of brake dust. These brakes produce a lot of dust and if you don't keep them clean, imo, they'll squeak. Again just my opinion. Keeping them clean might not have anything to do with it but it can't hurt.
Old 11-22-20, 02:16 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

If you guys don't want to put up with the decreased bite from the TSB pads, we still offer a solution for this for the front pad, which takes the majority of the load. Still seems like it is driver dependant, but we have had customers switch to our pad with great feedback.
Mike
The following users liked this post:
superfly32 (12-03-20)

Quick Reply: Brakes