IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Transmission mount upgrade (KEIN)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-21, 10:06 PM
ELexis
Advanced

Received 112 Likes on 95 Posts

Lobuxracer, who manufactures the orange jack stand shown in photo (Prolift, Torin, Jegs etc.)? It fits nicely underneath the trans, and may work well with using ramps.

Old 09-06-21, 07:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,861 Likes on 2,341 Posts

I don't remember who made them. They're 6 ton stands of Chinese manufacture from about 1990 or so.
Old 09-07-21, 03:30 AM
ELexis
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I don't remember who made them. They're 6 ton stands of Chinese manufacture from about 1990 or so.

Thank you.
Old 09-12-21, 11:14 AM
ELexis
Advanced

Wanted to thank all who provided the additional information / photos to asset with performing the the trans mount swap.
I finally had an opportunity to view the existing transmission mount (2006 - 2013 IS 350 RWD);
- Vehicle was placed on ramps and jack stand placed underneath the trans bell housing, just behind the frame rail, thanks lobuxracer (PHOTO 1)
- I assume the (4) inner 12mm nuts would need to be removed first, then the (4) outer 14mm nuts, which would allow the aluminum brace to be removed (PHOTO 2)
- It appears that the existing OEM trans mount does not use parts 12321-38020 (angled bracket) or 12392-38020 (Isolator. Seems more like just a dust cover), as seen in PHOTOS 3, 4 & 5.
-
Existing trans mount was installed without parts previously stated, as seen in PHOTO 6. Are those two parts only installed on the IS F or perhaps I overlooked them? Also noticed that the existing OEM mount had a Blue dot and part received, 12371-38110 (trans bracket / bushing mount assembly, has a Red dot. Would color reference certain stiffness / or a durometer number?
I did notice when loosing the (4) outer 14mm aluminum bracket nuts, that the aluminum bracket will shift, causing hole alignment issue as stated previously in REPLY 97.
The use of a floor / bottle jack, or something similar will be needed to push up on the aluminum bracket, to compress the new trans mount so the (4) outer 14mm bolts can be again re-installed as previously stated in REPLY # 150. I did not have access to additional jack to assist with the install, so did not fully remove the aluminum bracket, fearing I would not be able to generate enough pressure without the use of a jack to re-install the 14mm bolts correctly. Will either attempt again or have service center perform the installation. As previously stated, it really isn't a difficult procedure once all items required are available.

PHOTO 1

PHOTO 2

PHOTO 3

PHOTO 4

PHOTO 5

PHOTO 6

Last edited by ELexis; 09-12-21 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-03-21, 12:47 PM
ELexis
Advanced

Had the trans mount installed and the existing OEM mount appeared to be in good condition.. Also, the bracket circled in Yellow, is not installed in the 2nd Gen IS 350. Perhaps it's a IS F only part?

Old 10-03-21, 05:10 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by ELexis
Had the trans mount installed and the existing OEM mount appeared to be in good condition.. Also, the bracket circled in Yellow, is not installed in the 2nd Gen IS 350. Perhaps it's a IS F only part?

Correct as it is a different mounting point on the 8 Speed

..compared to your V6 w/ 6 speed

Joe Z
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (10-03-21)
Old 10-03-21, 06:03 PM
ELexis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Correct as it is a different mounting point on the 8 Speed

..compared to your V6 w/ 6 speed

Joe Z

Understood, thanks Joe!
Will since overlooking that fact when the parts were ordered;

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-30-21 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Sell it in the classifieds
Old 10-29-21, 09:51 PM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Elexis, does the new trans mount fix your surging issue when the car comes to a stop? I’m having the same problem. Thanks.
Old 10-30-21, 05:55 AM
ELexis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yamehoo
Elexis, does the new trans mount fix your surging issue when the car comes to a stop? I’m having the same problem. Thanks.

My apologies for not following with regard to the surging issue. Unfortunately, installing the new trans mount did not remedy the surging experienced, when approaching a stop sign and begin to slowly stop (from 30 mph), where the surge is experienced. I thought perhaps if the mount was defective, would be allowing the trans to move some causing the surge. Almost feels as if something may be binding than becoming free, similar to when the ABS are activated, but don't believe that to be the issue.
Perhaps a defective engine mount however, don't notice any engine movement when transmission is moved from gear to gear while viewing with the hood opened.

Last edited by ELexis; 10-30-21 at 06:00 AM.
Old 10-30-21, 07:49 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Bad engine mounts will be experienced mostly under load. Depending on your mileage, it’s almost certain you have a failed engine mount, regardless of issues. We all do. The mounts in these cars just weren’t up to par.
Old 10-30-21, 08:40 AM
ELexis
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jwconeil
Bad engine mounts will be experienced mostly under load. Depending on your mileage, it’s almost certain you have a failed engine mount, regardless of issues. We all do. The mounts in these cars just weren’t up to par.
Thanks for the follow up. Less than 100,00 miles however, will have mounts checked. The IS 350 06-2-13 has just the two engine mounts same part # 12361-31201 for Front Left & Right, correct?
Per the following post, 2007 IS250 Engine Mount Replacement Help Needed - Reply #4 by LexKong: "I noticed that Toyota changed the design of the engine mounts and it is a noticeable improvement". Can it be confirmed that the OEM part # 12361-31201 may be an updated design since 2009? Is there a recommended aftermarket / manufacturer replacement mount available, that may be better than the OEM mounts (other than polyurethane design)?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...lp-needed.html

Last edited by ELexis; 10-31-21 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-30-21, 10:05 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

....Almost feels as if something may be binding than becoming free.....
I saw a video on a facebook group a few weeks ago where they had an issue in the diff pinion where it would bind and then let loose. I'll see if I can find it, I wish people would use this message board more because its easier to find info (for me at least)
Old 10-30-21, 11:56 AM
Yamehoo
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

My apologies for not following with regard to the surging issue. Unfortunately, installing the new trans mount did not remedy the surging experienced, when approaching a stop sign and begin to slowly stop (from 30 mph), where the surge is experienced. I thought perhaps if the mount was defective, would be allowing the trans to move some causing the surge. Almost feels as if something may be binding than becoming free, similar to when the ABS are activated, but don't believe that to be the issue.
Perhaps a defective engine mount however, don't notice any engine movement when transmission is moved from gear to gear while viewing with the hood opened.
Thank you, my surging is intermittent. I also experience an intermittent thud when shifting from neutral to D at the stop light (where my habit is always put the gear in neutral at a stop). My car has 72k miles and it was bought new back in 2012. I drain and fill my transmission fluid every 20k and changed my differential fluid at 50k. My guess is either transmission mount or engine mounts but so sure.
Old 10-30-21, 02:04 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

OK - guys without an IS F - it's fine to discuss your issues, but not here. There is a forum dedicated to your platform, and the issues I am seeing here now are unrelated to the IS F. It doesn't add to the conversation when the IS F has a completely different drivetrain, save the differential, from the 2IS models.

Also, ignoring the maintenance schedule and assuming you know better might be the root cause of your problem. Setting the fluid level on the IS F is not a simple task, especially when you consider the very low temperature range where setting the level can be accomplished. On the AA80E, if the level is wrong, even by small amounts (less than 8 ounces in a system with an 11+ quart volume), the transmission flares especially when cold. I didn't have these issues with my IS 350, but I also didn't own the car for a terribly long time, I traded it for my IS F in December 2008 after buying the IS350 in July 2006. And to be clear, IS F owners can't say much of anything about the IS350 transmission unless they also own an IS350. I know of only one.
The following users liked this post:
Eurofreak (01-27-22)
Old 01-09-22, 05:26 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Time for an update - I finally installed the Kein mount and I've been driving it for about a week (?) or so. It's coming out. It transmits too much noise to the chassis for my taste. If you like to hear every solenoid, clutch, and gear working in your gearbox you'll like the Kein mount. I'm OK with the occasional sharp noise from my solid bushing suspension, but not OK with the constant gnashing sound coming straight up through the transmission tunnel and turning the ice in my iced coffee into a sound generator. I tried to like it, but it makes the car quite a bit louder than my Supra, and I've never had anything short of a full racecar louder than my Supra.
The following 4 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
93MSB (01-09-22), Joe Z (01-09-22), minator (01-10-22), Positron (01-09-22)

Quick Reply: Transmission mount upgrade (KEIN)