IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

headers...will it really add that much power? Is it noticeable

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-18, 03:48 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default headers...will it really add that much power? Is it noticeable

debating if getting headers are worth it?

Looking at $2600-2700 with installation. Will it really add 50 horsepower? Is the difference noticeable during for a daily driver?

My car is a 09 with 106k miles. bought it with 103k miles. 2 owner. previous owner had it for 8 years. was a cpo car and was never abused (old japanese lady).
Old 10-17-18, 05:28 PM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

I never drove my car without aftermarket headers, but mine is very fast with them. Sorry that doesn’t help.
Old 10-17-18, 05:32 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by goto35
debating if getting headers are worth it?

Looking at $2600-2700 with installation. Will it really add 50 horsepower? Is the difference noticeable during for a daily driver?

My car is a 09 with 106k miles. bought it with 103k miles. 2 owner. previous owner had it for 8 years. was a cpo car and was never abused (old japanese lady).
Whether or not its worth it is up to you. For me, its a yes. Lots of threads out there with people providing feedback. Another thing, you can wait to see if your manifolds develop cracks and replace it with headers then.
Old 10-17-18, 10:36 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

I had joez exhaust and hps intake tube before going to Sikky V2 headers and gesi cats. $3.5k or so is what I believe I had it all with the headers, cats, installation, travel, etc. Well worth it to me. Money is made to be spent! Can always earn more!
Sound alone was worth it to me!
As far as power goes, in the higher rpms there is a DRAMATIC difference! Below 3k rpms, I don't feel like there's much of a difference. Highway pulls are definitely stronger and triple digits come in no time. Love it and I highly recommend it 👍

V.

Last edited by Vitveet; 12-08-18 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-17-18, 11:22 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

If it gave me 50hp flywheel or RWHP I would buy them today. I have xforce, primary cats opened up 2" to 2.5" (or there about) HPS +K&n intake & Tune.There are a few drag vids with headers v no headers and there is stuff all in it, but you can make up your own mind, yep there expensive but are they worth it......
Old 10-18-18, 12:52 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Personal experience- I held off on getting headers since I was still researching its benefits over the negatives (thank you California), and I can honestly say, I wish I had done the headers install while I had my exhaust done. Would've saved me a trip to the shop and could've enjoyed the power and sound a lot earlier in my ownership. You will get substantial power, since the stock manifolds are quite restrictive. Depending on mod choice, FBO IS Fs range from 415-430+ WHP. That's pretty awesome, I think. Seeing these cars become more potent and be driven on track and auto courses are quite fun. Installation will be a pain to shell out money for, but once you get everything bolted up and you get a chance to fire up the car for the first time post installation, it is a symphony for the ears!

Money wise, I would value this particular mod higher than exhaust for sure. You will be able to feel it daily driving, since acceleration will be quicker, with high end power and torque being gained. Low end, I could feel a difference compared to a stock IS F, but it is nowhere near as drastic as when you get to the high end powerband.
Old 10-18-18, 01:51 AM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just did mine and in all honesty, my radio has been OFF for the last two weeks lol I love it; the sound and the power is addictive
had cat back, intake elbow, and tune previously but the headers beat all of these mods hands down
Your oem manifolds are most likely gone anyway, get new headers asap

The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (10-20-18)
Old 10-18-18, 07:35 AM
BS ISF
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Hands down the best mod for the ISF!! Look into all the proven results over the years.
Old 10-18-18, 07:42 AM
MGallagher
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe someone already mentioned this, but the stock exhaust manifold will eventually fail. That's the reason I'll be upgrading mine at some point. The added power and sound is just the icing on the cake.
Old 10-18-18, 08:33 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Just a side note - not much of power difference between unequal and equal lengths for headers. The biggest difference is the harmonic of exhaust flow - high pitch, exotic-like for Equal Length, and rumbling, muscle-like for Unequal Length.

I'm personally saving up for equal length, but it does cost extra pennies....
Old 10-18-18, 08:44 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

100% worth it. Don't know anyone that regretted headers.

PPE all the way!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 10-18-18, 09:06 AM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

As mentioned before, the stock manifold fails eventually. I was able to remove it before it cracked and sold it for 600 bucks, which pretty much payed for installation. Got my brand new Sikky V2 headers on eBay, PayPal offers 0% financing for 24 months like once a month. So 79 bucks a month, never look back.
Old 10-18-18, 11:58 AM
Kubbz
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Did you add high flow cats

Did you add high flow cats? If so, how is the performance? Did the cats change the sound? Do you have any video clips of sound, WOT etc....

Thanks

Originally Posted by samjones
I just did mine and in all honesty, my radio has been OFF for the last two weeks lol I love it; the sound and the power is addictive
had cat back, intake elbow, and tune previously but the headers beat all of these mods hands down
Your oem manifolds are most likely gone anyway, get new headers asap
Did you add high flow cats? If so, how is the performance? Did the cats change the sound? Do you have any video clips of sound, WOT etc....

Thanks
Old 10-18-18, 12:39 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Definitely worth it, even if just for the new tone and rumble.
Old 10-18-18, 12:40 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any does anybody have information about just Headers and the OEM exhaust?

Quick Reply: headers...will it really add that much power? Is it noticeable