IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

headers...will it really add that much power? Is it noticeable

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 12:41 PM
dannyk8232
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How much louder would headers make a car with a muffler delete? Anybody know?

Thx in advance
Old 10-18-18, 01:52 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyk8232
How much louder would headers make a car with a muffler delete? Anybody know?

Thx in advance
​​​​​​​Obnoxiously loud, I wouldn't recommend on doing it especially if you live in CA where cops are super strict as is already. My friend had PPE headers + JoeZ + muffler delete and it was just sooooo loud he eventually had to weld back on his muffler. Waste of time and money. I have PPE headers + JoeZ with muffler attached and I think it's perfect.

View this post on Instagram
Old 10-18-18, 02:30 PM
goto35
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

how much horsepower are we talking with oem muffler and headers?
Old 10-18-18, 02:51 PM
MGallagher
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
100% worth it. Don't know anyone that regretted headers.

PPE all the way!

-Josh
The owners neighbors haha
Old 10-19-18, 06:45 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

I've had a Borla catback with high flow cats on for a few years. I recently installed Sikky V1 headers. Ok, I know they're somewhat outdated and the install was rough. If you look at the stockers you'll see how restrictive they are. Sharp bends, merges that don't make sense, etc. Besides, it's only a matter of time before they fail as mentioned. Combine the headers, catback and a tune and the difference is nothing short of amazing.

Last edited by Rickna; 12-09-18 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-19-18, 05:36 PM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

No doubt, headers are definitely worth it. Wish it was the first thing I did to car. I paid just about the same you are looking at, 1k install and 1.7k for headers. The car feels amazing after they get installed, and the sound ��. I would recommend getting the tune from rr as well. It will remove the check engine code and add some additional power. You wont regret it for even one minute. Do it!!!!
Old 10-22-18, 11:47 AM
isfdave86
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubbz
Did you add high flow cats? If so, how is the performance? Did the cats change the sound? Do you have any video clips of sound, WOT etc....

Thanks

Did you add high flow cats? If so, how is the performance? Did the cats change the sound? Do you have any video clips of sound, WOT etc....

Thanks
I've got the same questions. I daily drive mine and regularly have passengers in the car, so a significant increase in drone/noise makes me hesitate. If using high flow cats helps with that, then I'd be more interested.
Old 10-22-18, 01:29 PM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Im Syd AU based so we all know each dyno is different blah blah but ive slowly achieved FBO with my ISF and always gone to the same tuner/dyno so can share my own experiences over the years.

I gained 22kw @ wheels with PPE unequal headers (ceramic coated) and a Takeda intake install. How much came from each i dont know as i done them same time but assuming most of the increase was from the headers. I can barely even hear the intake over the headers (not complaining by the way lol). When i got the final tune with headers it gained a further 10kw @ wheels (it had been tuned prior to headers) so i knew the gains wouldnt be as big as it was more a touchup tune vs first tune. Most of the tune gains was already achieved.

Given the outlay i would not consider it a bang for your buck mod. You could extend the primary cat flanges (various posts online) for decent gains for a fraction of the price however theres no denying the sound alone is incredible. When i got this mod done, i gained 12kw @ the wheels.
It completely changes the game. It sounds 100% better over stock or even a catback system. I couldnt believe how much better it sounded. A year on and it never gets boring, the downshifts etc.

So yes it gives some power and the sound is incredible and as others have mentioned, its not really a question of if but more when will your OEM have the infamous ticking noise. Look at the pic of my OEM headers. Mass produced for cost efficiency vs performance. The PPE pic isnt mine, i forgot to take a pics but mine is the same one as i was part of the group buy and one of the other guys took the pic

Just to add, i no longer have any cats and mine is a daily ride. I know some will challenge this asking how can i stand the smell. Well i was prepared to get some hi flow cats but i simply never needed to go down that path. I barely smell mine at all. I often have others in the car with me, have the window down etc and again, hardly smell anything. Id go as far as saying i dont smell anything different. My wifes stock diesel SUV smells worse so for now it remains catless.

What surprised me though was the volume increase in the headers. Its loud with an exhaust but much louder low-mid with headers. WOT its just plain loud anyway (exhaust or exhaust with headers) but down low with a quick snap of the throttle and the headers cant be mistaken (pedestrians can hear it from a distance and often turn around lol). Cold starts are great but my varex on the xforce can still quiet it down when i need it quiet (surprisingly)

Note, if you track your ISF etc, given its not a simple install and the subframe is coming out, you may want to consider or look into changing your engine mounts if they are on its way out

Ps In short, no i dont regret buying my cats, great fun factor :-)
The following users liked this post:
MGallagher (10-23-18)
Old 12-08-18, 07:06 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Worth every penny. i picked up 60whp between sikky V1 and a joeZ exhaust... so solid for an NA 5liter
MileHIFcar (12-08-18)
Old 12-09-18, 10:44 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm in a big minority when I say I prefer the sound of the stock exhaust. However, once the horrible stock manifolds break (or when I get sick enough of hearing the cold start tinking...) I plan on headers with stock exhaust. After looking at pictures of the choking stock manifolds, there's no other way. I say do it.
GaaraOTS (12-10-18)
Old 12-09-18, 11:15 AM
Rickna
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
I'm in a big minority when I say I prefer the sound of the stock exhaust. However, once the horrible stock manifolds break (or when I get sick enough of hearing the cold start tinking...) I plan on headers with stock exhaust. After looking at pictures of the choking stock manifolds, there's no other way. I say do it.
I agree with you. The rumble and loudness tends to take away from the "Lexus luxury" aspect. At times I do feel that the car is too loud, but the added punch is worth it.
GaaraOTS (12-10-18)
Old 12-09-18, 11:34 AM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
if stay with factory exhaust it only be slightly louder you will notice slight difference at WOT being little louder then stock. But you will still have the restrictive Factory Cat-Back portion of the exhaust so you will not have maximum more gains. Ive had my jet hot coated PPE headers Joe Z exhaust gesi cat now 7yr 93k miles no issues what's so ever.

Last edited by Weapon F; 12-09-18 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-09-18, 11:57 AM
ISF5L
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickna
I agree with you. The rumble and loudness tends to take away from the "Lexus luxury" aspect. At times I do feel that the car is too loud, but the added punch is worth it.
I used to think stock sounded good especially on WOT until i got an exhaust and than headers a year or so later.

I do have Varex mufflers so i can close the valves and its very quiet but i seldom use it (only when driving off early morning to keep peace with the neighbours). I still think its very much Lexus Luxury with the exhaust. I mean, C63's and other AMG's have great sounding exhausts, RS7's and other Audi's have great sounding exhausts, some Jag's, M3's and the list goes on. I think luxury can be quiet but also exotic sounding with a nice exhaust unlike that tinny hi pitched sound of a typical 4 cylinder if you get my drift. If i had one of those exhausts/engine combo's id prefer silent otherwise i think Luxury can sound tough and mean :-)
Old 12-09-18, 10:18 PM
ultimase
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Wondering if anyone has done headers and then retained the stock exhaust, but with an exhaust cutout venting before the restrictive portion on the stock exhaust? I think I remember someone doing it a few months ago, but no dyno comparisons.
GaaraOTS (12-10-18)
Old 12-10-18, 07:08 AM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also like the quietness of the stock exhaust. I plan on getting headers + HF cats as well when mine crap out, would like to see info (gains, sound) on headers + stock exhaust combo if anyone has any input.
lobuxracer (12-10-18)

Quick Reply: headers...will it really add that much power? Is it noticeable