IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

P117b code on ISF

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-18, 01:51 PM
Hadra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P117b code on ISF

Anyone had this code before? Techstream reads p0171 (bank 1 lean) p0174 (bank 2 lean) and p117b (performance/direct injection). The engine light and traction control came on and car won’t go into 1st gear. Otherwise drives fine. I was hoping it was o2 sensor before I read the codes, but the p117b got me thinking.. surely two sensors didn’t go bad all at once? What’s your thoughts? Thanks !!
Old 10-10-18, 07:21 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Did someone run it out of gas, or maybe drive the car hard with very low fuel? That would set all those codes. Could also be the in-tank fuel pump not making enough pressure (clogged sock filter on the pump, etc.)

Do you have an AOS installed? The lines for the device could be leaking, or the hose from the PCV valve could be cracked, broken, or otherwise leaking and cause this condition as well.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-10-18 at 07:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
ISFTOMMY (01-16-19), Jwconeil (10-18-18)
Old 10-11-18, 12:38 AM
Hadra
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Did someone run it out of gas, or maybe drive the car hard with very low fuel? That would set all those codes. Could also be the in-tank fuel pump not making enough pressure (clogged sock filter on the pump, etc.)

Do you have an AOS installed? The lines for the device could be leaking, or the hose from the PCV valve could be cracked, broken, or otherwise leaking and cause this condition as well.
thanks for reply. No, I didn’t run out of gas, ever. Hardly ever drive it hard so I don’t think that could be the reason. No sure what AOS is?
Didnt think the feeling problems were issues on ISFs? When I looked up online, there’s very little info on that code so can’t be that common. Will clean MAF and see it that makes any difference.. I’m hesitant going to the dealer....
Old 10-11-18, 12:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

This isn't a likely MAF issue. It's a fuel delivery or air leak issue. Cleaning the MAF without a good reason isn't the first choice here. Checking for air leaks after the MAF is definitely a plan, and ensuring your fuel hasn't been polluted with water or gelled from non-use would also be first line approaches. Your assessment that all three of these things mean its not likely an individual sensor is correct.
Old 10-12-18, 07:17 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This isn't a likely MAF issue. It's a fuel delivery or air leak issue. Cleaning the MAF without a good reason isn't the first choice here. Checking for air leaks after the MAF is definitely a plan, and ensuring your fuel hasn't been polluted with water or gelled from non-use would also be first line approaches. Your assessment that all three of these things mean its not likely an individual sensor is correct.
How long would the car have to sit for the fuel to get polluted with water or "gelled"?
Old 10-12-18, 07:50 AM
Hadra
Driver School Candidate

I’d imagine at least couple of months but that’d also depend on the quality of te fuel u have
Old 10-12-18, 09:46 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by DekNgo
How long would the car have to sit for the fuel to get polluted with water or "gelled"?
At least 6 months unless you got gas that contained water from a station .
Old 10-13-18, 06:46 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hadra

thanks for reply. No, I didn’t run out of gas, ever. Hardly ever drive it hard so I don’t think that could be the reason. No sure what AOS is?
Didnt think the feeling problems were issues on ISFs? When I looked up online, there’s very little info on that code so can’t be that common. Will clean MAF and see it that makes any difference.. I’m hesitant going to the dealer....
Have you had any luck with clearing your issue?
Old 10-13-18, 08:11 AM
Hadra
Driver School Candidate

Have you had any luck with clearing your issue?
I’ve cleared the code, put in full tank of shell V power and done so far 15miles. Code hasn’t come back yet. Will give it another 100 miles or so and see if comes back
Old 10-14-18, 07:07 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

I’ve cleared the code, put in full tank of shell V power and done so far 15miles. Code hasn’t come back yet. Will give it another 100 miles or so and see if comes back
Good luck. I hope it was just something simple like bad gas.
Old 10-14-18, 07:28 AM
Hadra
Driver School Candidate

Good luck. I hope it was just something simple like bad gas.
thanks! Will report back
Old 10-15-18, 10:24 AM
Hadra
Driver School Candidate

AAaand she’s back! Did 29 miles and the codes are back! Pulled MAF and it seems clean.. gave it a good clean anyway, will do another 30 miles and see what happens. Probably will come back again. Car is booked for Saturday for underseal so will get the guys to look at it as well. I always thought Lexus are reliable cars, which is why I bought this one. The idea of having to change the petrol pump or pull out injectors is not replay the reliability I was after....
Old 10-15-18, 06:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Run a can of BG44K through the fuel system combined with some WOT runs (not too long just in case there is water in the fuel leaning it out) and see if it clears up. If you bought gas with water in it, it will take some time to get through the system, especially if you don't work the car hard often.
Old 10-16-18, 04:29 AM
DekNgo
Pole Position

AAaand she’s back! Did 29 miles and the codes are back! Pulled MAF and it seems clean.. gave it a good clean anyway, will do another 30 miles and see what happens. Probably will come back again. Car is booked for Saturday for underseal so will get the guys to look at it as well. I always thought Lexus are reliable cars, which is why I bought this one. The idea of having to change the petrol pump or pull out injectors is not replay the reliability I was after....
Well, that stinks... Please keep us updated while you work through this.
Old 10-16-18, 08:41 AM
Dtaylor3
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that same issue about 6 months ago. When I pulled out the MAF Sensor the ORING was cracked. Replaced it, haven't had the issue since.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: P117b code on ISF