Custom fabricated EL headers question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-18, 08:16 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Custom fabricated EL headers question

Hello,

I may be able to source a custom-fabricated equal-length set of headers, but I am not sure if I can just slap the RR Racing tune on it and hope it will work. So my question is, would I need to fine-calibrate this with RR Racing or is the tuned mapping quite forgiving and broad-spectrum in terms of working with different brands of headers (NOVEL, PPE, SIKKY, etc). In fact, is that tune specifically made for PPE's headers only??

Old 08-14-18, 08:42 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

The ISF made 400whp with exhaust and headers (sikky v.1 & ppe unequal length headers). With no tune at all.This was overly proven throughout time, up until RR Racing came out with a tune and increased the power to 415whp. I’m not sure if RR Racing ever got around to test a sikky v.1 or v.2 header on their shop car. I do know there preferred choice is PPE as they have them installed in their shop car. To my understanding, there tune is a self learning tune in General is installed only once. With the exception of their tuned intake setup or unless you want a personalized tune specifically tailored to your car. In which case you’ll have to work with them on a one on one basis and send them more info.
Old 08-14-18, 11:30 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
The ISF made 400whp with exhaust and headers (sikky v.1 & ppe unequal length headers). With no tune at all.This was overly proven throughout time, up until RR Racing came out with a tune and increased the power to 415whp. I’m not sure if RR Racing ever got around to test a sikky v.1 or v.2 header on their shop car. I do know there preferred choice is PPE as they have them installed in their shop car. To my understanding, there tune is a self learning tune in General is installed only once. With the exception of their tuned intake setup or unless you want a personalized tune specifically tailored to your car. In which case you’ll have to work with them on a one on one basis and send them more info.
I think my reading of the KCLV thread agrees with your post - the ECU will gradually learn of the timing and adjust accordingly, so I suspect that the flashed mapping would retain the feature notwithstanding the specific tuning of airflow/exhaust flow.

More feedback would be welcomed, though!
Old 08-14-18, 06:04 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had sikky v1 and now have ppe equal length headers both with the tune. It doesn't matter which headers you have.
The following users liked this post:
msgs350 (08-15-18)
Old 08-15-18, 03:02 PM
Kubbz
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Difference in headers

Originally Posted by jat0223
I've had sikky v1 and now have ppe equal length headers both with the tune. It doesn't matter which headers you have.
Curious as to why you changed to PPE headers?
Did you notice a difference in performance and/or sound? If so do you have a video clip?

Thanks,
Kubbz
Old 08-15-18, 03:59 PM
jat0223
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubbz
Curious as to why you changed to PPE headers?
Did you notice a difference in performance and/or sound? If so do you have a video clip?

Thanks,
Kubbz
performance difference between headers is negligible, so I did it for sound purposes. Equal length headers produce a different (better to my ears) sound than unequal length headers. I think I posted a video in the equal length headers thread.
Old 08-16-18, 08:37 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by jat0223
performance difference between headers is negligible, so I did it for sound purposes. Equal length headers produce a different (better to my ears) sound than unequal length headers. I think I posted a video in the equal length headers thread.
That's what I've been informed by one of RR Racing's personnel regarding the same question; this choice is purely aesthetic.

So this is most likely as I suspected, thanks for the input!
Old 08-17-18, 10:13 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by mk416
Hello,

I may be able to source a custom-fabricated equal-length set of headers, but I am not sure if I can just slap the RR Racing tune on it and hope it will work. So my question is, would I need to fine-calibrate this with RR Racing or is the tuned mapping quite forgiving and broad-spectrum in terms of working with different brands of headers (NOVEL, PPE, SIKKY, etc). In fact, is that tune specifically made for PPE's headers only??
The difference between EL vs non-EL in terms of the tune is negligible.

I will say though... do not get Novel headers if you plan on Supercharging. The smaller primary pipes (vs PPE) and the crazy bends on the runners result in increased backpressure and about 30hp loss vs PPE on supercharged cars.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following 3 users liked this post by RRRacing:
mk416 (08-17-18), Rossi (04-08-20), vraa (08-17-18)
Old 08-17-18, 10:33 AM
mk416
Advanced

Originally Posted by RRRacing
The difference between EL vs non-EL in terms of the tune is negligible.

I will say though... do not get Novel headers if you plan on Supercharging. The smaller primary pipes (vs PPE) and the crazy bends on the runners result in increased backpressure and about 30hp loss vs PPE on supercharged cars.

Rafi
:O

Thanks Rafi! That is a very helpful tip for me as I do plan on boosting the car in the future (when I win the lotto). I'll be sure to pass this note onto my fabricator as well.
Old 08-17-18, 01:25 PM
Rossi
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Sikky V2 are fantastic, bigger in diameter. Love mine.