IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-18, 10:35 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

When I bought my ISF, almost 10 years ago, I had no intention of replacing my G35, although I was really not happy with it. That car replaced an SC300, 5MT, that I gave away to my wife's son. He immediately sold it. I was not happy

Anyway, when I went into the dealership 10 years ago, it was to pick up my late wife's new ES350. That was her dream car. I had negotiated the deal over the phone and we had come in to pick up her new car. Upon leaving, I noticed 7 brand new ISFs lined up in a row in the back of the lot. I had read a little about the car, and was curious. I asked my salesman, the inertnet manager, to start the car, oh how it sounded. Then I asked for a test drive, I was hooked.

We left the dealers in her new ES and headed home. Over the next week I pondered what I knew I was going to buy. I opened up negotiations 6 days after we picked up the ES. A week later, a deal was struck. I went to choose the car I wanted. All were similarly equipped. Color choices were MM, SGM and Obsidian. I chose the MM one, but it had chrome wheels and Bridgestone tires, which I did not want. They took the wheels off another car, I paid my money, and happily took the car home. At the time I never realized the deep relationship I would develop with this car.

Lou
Old 06-14-18, 10:48 AM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
I paid my money, and happily took the car home. At the time I never realized the deep relationship I would develop with this car.

Lou
Such a touching story, love it lol
Old 06-14-18, 01:51 PM
Kense
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
Lets see, owned it for a year. Only had to do 1 oil change (will do one this week). Ive seen more Gallardo and 458s than an IS-F in the year. I've kept up with M5s and beaten M3s in a straight line. All while getting 21+ mpg.

Yes folks you can have your cake and eat it too. But for $35-40k I would get a F10 M5 or E63 with amg perf pack
And you'll be paying all your life savings when those cars break. Especially with AMG's. good luck with that.
Old 06-15-18, 05:15 PM
OneFastF
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

The car came with an 8 speed which cleared my books, fast shifting Lexus reliable. F > M3... Although after owning it for a couple months now , I feel like I may have done it wrong, I love the sound of the V8! But if you can get. 11+. The 2008 models ride pretty wicked, and I have NO LSD. I'm also more of a 4 cyl guy, light nimble handling cars. The car caught my attention is that,

A) Rare to sight these (well not really anymore) lol
B) reliable as heck
C) not really known and it's an under dog,
D) Eight speed!

What I don't like about it is,
A) Stock ride was crud, but I fixed it with coilovers
B) Heavy for me, weighing around 3700 is relatively light for a 4 door V8. Now I'm not saying it handles pretty well in the canyons! Sure is quick, but not my style
C) Not the best in terms of luxury, compared to the new RC F and GS F (yes an IS is base model, but jeez a 2014 Camry got a nicer interior design.

Conclusion:

I would have gotten a Golf R once I looked back at it.. Although I not reliable and not as fast as an IS F , AWD is an option for those. And importantly a 6 speed! Wishing I had a 6 speed in IS F would of been nice. Can't have everything tho.
Old 06-17-18, 08:44 PM
fstpassat
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rjfjdudj
What headers do you have?
PPE coated headers