IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Which will hold the most value and collectability in future ISF, E90 M3 or C63 AMG

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 08:47 PM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Which will hold the most value and collectability in future ISF, E90 M3 or C63 AMG

Inspired by another thread thats run its course. I'm asking two questions which of these three will hold the most value in the future? And which of these 3 will be that must have collectable car in future collection. Even though these two questions may sound very similar I think they're different, value is different than desirability one car might be more valuable than another but another car might be more desirable as collectors car. List them in order 1,2 and 3 give your reasons why for your ranking order. Try to be as objective as possible when creating your list. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.
Old 03-28-17, 09:03 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 73 Posts

1) e90 M3 -> Has a true racing pedigree / first and last of the v8 m3's

2) Lexus IS-F

3) C63 AMG
Old 03-28-17, 11:34 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would put IS-F first, M3 second, and C63 AMG 3rd. Reason being that the IS-F is more rare and discontinued. The Lexus reliability will also allow the car to get more value than the German cars.
Old 03-29-17, 12:58 AM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Toss up between ISF and M3... C63 is third either way. That S65 motor is wonderful but so is reliability..
Old 03-29-17, 01:02 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

vtp86 hit it on the head, primarily the part about the IS F being rarer. E90 M3s are a dime a dozen, and while it does have that racing pedigree, I've noticed enthusiasts from the M side aren't as high on these later iterations as they are with the E36 and E46 examples. Personally, I prefer the stylings of the E46 compared to the E92 and F80 variants today.

The IS F is still a mystery. Not too many people know about it (still). People mistakenly lump the F sports with the F performance (still). The IS F gets bashed because it uses paddle shifters over a manual gearbox (still). But what the engineers have done year after year to keep it competitive is great. Adding the TORSEN and shaving seconds off its official lap time, all the while remaining in conversations where the M3 used to be monopolized is a great start to the F pedigree. Of course, currently, it's nowhere near the heritage that M or AMG have built over the years, but I can safely say this has been a great start to Lexus' performance line.

The C63 is an enigma to me. Great power and torque all around. Reliability is a huge issue, and I haven't seen a strong desire for a second hand examples, as owners migrate towards the latest and greatest AMG version offered, whether it be in a coupe or sedan form. Its Black Series is a pretty looking niche version, but again I don't see people going crazy after those as even say an older M3.

My personal pick with regards to these three....the IS F. It's the only one that has a first generation attainable currently. The original M3 that could've been purchased in the late '80s for $24k was purchased as high as $109k in a private sale and some in auctions currently nearing the $150k mark. Times were different then and the horsepower and performance were far from precise today, but if the IS F ever makes it to that appreciable value like the first gen M3s, I think current owners have themselves some valuable examples in the future. This is all speculative, of course, and I didn't purchase my F to hope for a higher value in the future. I don't plan on ever selling mine, and I've had a few offers that I really should've taken a harder look at. But this is definitely more than a car to me
Old 03-29-17, 03:57 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Aye, another one of these threads........��
Old 03-29-17, 05:44 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I'll join in on this one.

M3 hands down. Proven to be so for generations.

ISF is rare, because it's an unknown vehicle. It didn't knock BMW or it's competition off it's boots at the release and thus fell to the wayside. The 2011 alterations were too little too late. E9X was already dominant by that time and in the spotlight. Especially with that year receiving the comp package.

With it being the last of the NA engines, and a great one at that, accompanied by one of the best gearboxes (DCT) aside from a supercar, it will be a winner for years to come. The reliability aspect is a non issue for a collectible. They generally don't get driven nearly as often, and the past has shown plenty of horribly unreliable vehicles have a cult following.

Will be purchasing a 2011+ comp package for a toy vehicle soon. ISF for the daily. Because it's a better daily grinder with a lower cost of ownership. V8 Camry for the win
Old 03-29-17, 07:39 AM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

2011-2014 isf > m3> 08-09 isf > c63

If were also ranking about 2 door versions then: m3 gts > 63 black > isf

To be honest the if the e90 was more reliable than the isf I wouldn't be looking at the isf at all. The v8 in the m3 is amazing to drive but not to own. The biggest car mistake of my life was buying a e36 M3 in 99 rather than an e30 M3.

Last edited by Manh3; 03-29-17 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 07:55 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Yes M3 ZCP competition package helps in desirability and collectability categories, but then you have W204 C63 P31 and the monstrous 507 Black Serious AMG'S. Sadly ISF never had a competition or power upgrade package just the Neiman Marcus Editions. If Lexus would have been more like BMW in 2011 when they did the update they should have called it the ISF FTE (Fuji track Edition) with the suspension, diff, steering ECU and probably could have squeezed out a few more hp's out of it as well lol. But they made mid cycle refresh instead without a huge increase in price which is commendable of Lexus just wish they would have made an option for power performance package oh well.

Last edited by Weapon F; 03-29-17 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 08:00 AM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

M3 without question.

One of the reasons older M3s have started to appreciate is because of the driving experience they offer. The ISF isn't the same in this regard - it doesn't hold up to the e9X M3. Also, as mentioned, the only ever V8 M3 will count for something too.

I'm not a collector, I like to DD my cars and not spend a fortune on maintenance - that's why I have an ISF. If I was collecting and not worried as much about racking up miles and high costs, it would be M3 all day.
Old 03-29-17, 08:43 AM
piran21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you guys that the E90 M3 is at the top of the list. Quickly looking at the used market E92s and even E93s seem more plentiful than the E90 sedan. Also, the sedan was gone by 2011 whereas the coupe/convertible continued to 2013.
Old 03-29-17, 08:45 AM
cleethree
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why does this thread exist? Are you going to make a buying decision based on the future resale value?
Old 03-29-17, 09:44 AM
Manh3
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cleethree
Why does this thread exist? Are you going to make a buying decision based on the future resale value?
For some buyers resell value means a lot to them. That's why Toyotas and Lexus sells so well even though they're boring they're reliable and low maintenance which means a higher resell value when you're ready to sell.

If buyers went with their heart and emotions rather than logic then we would all be driving European cars.
Old 03-29-17, 10:43 AM
redspencer
OG Member
Forum Moderator

Received 541 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
Sadly ISF never had a competition or power upgrade package just the Neiman Marcus Editions. If Lexus would have been more like BMW in 2011 when they did the update they should have called it the ISF FTE (Fuji track Edition) with the suspension, diff, steering ECU and probably could have squeezed out a few more hp's out of it as well lol. But they made mid cycle refresh instead without a huge increase in price which is commendable of Lexus just wish they would have made an option for power performance package oh well.
Does the IS-F Circuit Club Sport count?

Old 03-29-17, 10:58 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I would like to say the M3 since that was the first/last V8 M3, not to mention it was purely track oriented. But then I want to say the ISF because there was a lot less of them made

so a toss between those 2 really, not that i would get a car based on resale value. that's almost like saying you pre plan on getting rid of it lol

Quick Reply: Which will hold the most value and collectability in future ISF, E90 M3 or C63 AMG