IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 09:06 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine because I had wanted one when they came out, I was into the initial hype. I had only seen one other one prior to buying mine, it blends in until people look at it. I daily drove mine even in the snow (its amazing in snow) and people rarely looked twice at it but my friends and co-workers really seemed to ooh and ahh over it which was kind of cool, all of my kids friends thought it was pretty awesome it’s nice but not over the top. I liked not seeing one at every stop light, it was also nice to not see 6 of them at every car meet you go to. The reliability, economy, handy for kids, fast and fun... honestly I have had a lot of cars and the ISF is the one I wish I had kept, the ISF and my X5M are the only cars my wife actually loved... most others she hated.
Old 06-06-18, 03:59 AM
Jwconeil

Received 968 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
I bought mine because I had wanted one when they came out, I was into the initial hype. I had only seen one other one prior to buying mine, it blends in until people look at it. I daily drove mine even in the snow (its amazing in snow) and people rarely looked twice at it but my friends and co-workers really seemed to ooh and ahh over it which was kind of cool, all of my kids friends thought it was pretty awesome it’s nice but not over the top. I liked not seeing one at every stop light, it was also nice to not see 6 of them at every car meet you go to. The reliability, economy, handy for kids, fast and fun... honestly I have had a lot of cars and the ISF is the one I wish I had kept, the ISF and my X5M are the only cars my wife actually loved... most others she hated.
buy another one!
Old 06-06-18, 05:02 AM
rjfjdudj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fstpassat
Because 110k miles with ZERO issues. Hell, 70k of those miles have been with headers and exhaust making 400whp. Another 10k of those 70k miles are with a RR Racing intake/tune combo which added another 10whp.

Change the oil, fill up with gas, perform routine maintenance, and drive. I bought the car for that reason and it has served as a flawless DD for the past 5yrs. I plan to drive it north of 150k miles before even considering a new vehicle.
What headers do you have?
Old 06-06-18, 05:11 AM
rjfjdudj
Rookie

Originally Posted by mk416
It affected up to 2012, so I don't know what "earlier models" you're referring to. Mine is 2011 and it is suffering from this issue.

Yes, it is "cheap", assuming you diagnosed it before you run your front inner tires bald. Factoring in replacement tires for the front, you're looking at an additional $500 unexpected wear-and-tear expense. Labor + parts for this issue can potentially lead up to $1000 and you're saying this is cheap? Please.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...y-plate-2.html

1% at total units produced = 51 units. Based on the complaint thread, there are more than 51 units reporting this issue. Provide numbers to validate your claim of >1% units suffering this issue.

​​​And they did NOT fix this problem...I remember reading about a '12 it happened to and now the RCF's are, I believe, suffering from this problem.. correct me if I am wrong..but I think it affects the age of a car more than anything so some think it is inevitable that it will affect more MYs as time goes on.
Old 06-06-18, 09:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by rjfjdudj
​​​And they did NOT fix this problem...I remember reading about a '12 it happened to and now the RCF's are, I believe, suffering from this problem.. correct me if I am wrong..but I think it affects the age of a car more than anything so some think it is inevitable that it will affect more MYs as time goes on.
How do you figure this? I have over 150k miles on mine, daily drive it, track it, and guess what? No valley plate leak and it's an '08.

Forums are a lousy place to calculate what goes wrong with cars. I can't count the number of "new users" at Club Lexus who have registered simply to post a big whiner session about how they are disappointed with Lexus because x, y, z and aa, bb, cc, dd over the last 12 years I have been here. Take this to the bank:

IF THE VALLEY PLATE LEAK WERE A WIDESPREAD PROBLEM, THERE WOULD BE AT LEAST AN LSB FOR IT.

There is NO LSB, so guess what, it's not a major problem despite our empirical data collected on this forum.

AFA the really lame comments about "not a daily driver" I can only say I have 155k miles on mine. Stock suspension (oh, so horribly rough until you ride in my Supra). If you really think the ride is so bad, you just plain picked the wrong car. Should have bought the ES or LS, not the IS F. There are compromises with sport oriented platforms, and one of them is ride quality. FYI, turn 10 at CMP works marvelously on the stock suspension. The same speed would not be possible in an ES or LS, but it certainly is in the IS F and that was the target market. Again, if you don't like the ride quality, you bought the wrong car.
The following users liked this post:
hapasaiyan (06-14-18)
Old 06-07-18, 05:34 AM
rjfjdudj
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How do you figure this? I have over 150k miles on mine, daily drive it, track it, and guess what? No valley plate leak and it's an '08.

Forums are a lousy place to calculate what goes wrong with cars. I can't count the number of "new users" at Club Lexus who have registered simply to post a big whiner session about how they are disappointed with Lexus because x, y, z and aa, bb, cc, dd over the last 12 years I have been here. Take this to the bank:

IF THE VALLEY PLATE LEAK WERE A WIDESPREAD PROBLEM, THERE WOULD BE AT LEAST AN LSB FOR IT.

There is NO LSB, so guess what, it's not a major problem despite our empirical data collected on this forum.

AFA the really lame comments about "not a daily driver" I can only say I have 155k miles on mine. Stock suspension (oh, so horribly rough until you ride in my Supra). If you really think the ride is so bad, you just plain picked the wrong car. Should have bought the ES or LS, not the IS F. There are compromises with sport oriented platforms, and one of them is ride quality. FYI, turn 10 at CMP works marvelously on the stock suspension. The same speed would not be possible in an ES or LS, but it certainly is in the IS F and that was the target market. Again, if you don't like the ride quality, you bought the wrong car.

Ok let me respond to this a second...I respect your knowledge about cars and what you have brought to this forum for many years. However, read what I wrote again before you have made up your mind to form a response about what you THINK I said...I asked a lot of questions which means that I am not stating facts. I am going off what I read or heard and your response is "How do you figure this"? How do I figure asking a question? I am confused. I am here to learn like anyone else, but your, as I perceive arrogance, for many years, clouds your ability to be objective and step back and answer questions. And as far as what you say Lexus WOULD do....you really sit in on their board meetings and run the company? You being convinced that LEXUS would NEVER cover up a problem and NOT try and fix it is laughable and nieve. I believe that Lexus is still ahead of many companies as far as customer service...but please keep your almightyness to a minimum and quit insulting others..I see Genesis stepping up to the plate to coddle their customers more than Lexus...whether it works who knows yet. I also don't see Lexus stepping up to the plate like when they had their first minor problem in the LS400 years ago and decided to fix it before it became a widespread problem and then left an appology note with a small gift on the seat after the fix...PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ABOUT THAT...I am trying to recall what it was all about without googling it..Those days are gone...If you think people are all honest and out to do others right by saying LEXUS WOULD issue an LSB, once again, do you sit behind closed doors? Because you have some mechanical knowledge does not mean you know what a multi billion dollar car company would do. Sadly though deceit is sometimes what has to be done even though it is wrong, to stay profitable or even in business. I have been working almost 30 years and I am doing contract work for multi billion dollar oil companies breaking ground for flow lines to plumbing in the last check valve off a treater and believe me I sit in on ALOT of deceit to cover **** up. You THINKING you know everything is tiring. I am walking away from this now...

Last edited by rjfjdudj; 06-07-18 at 05:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-07-18, 07:13 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rjfjdudj
Ok let me respond to this a second...I respect your knowledge about cars and what you have brought to this forum for many years. However, read what I wrote again before you have made up your mind to form a response about what you THINK I said...I asked a lot of questions which means that I am not stating facts. I am going off what I read or heard and your response is "How do you figure this"? How do I figure asking a question? I am confused. I am here to learn like anyone else, but your, as I perceive arrogance, for many years, clouds your ability to be objective and step back and answer questions. And as far as what you say Lexus WOULD do....you really sit in on their board meetings and run the company? You being convinced that LEXUS would NEVER cover up a problem and NOT try and fix it is laughable and nieve. I believe that Lexus is still ahead of many companies as far as customer service...but please keep your almightyness to a minimum and quit insulting others..I see Genesis stepping up to the plate to coddle their customers more than Lexus...whether it works who knows yet. I also don't see Lexus stepping up to the plate like when they had their first minor problem in the LS400 years ago and decided to fix it before it became a widespread problem and then left an appology note with a small gift on the seat after the fix...PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG ABOUT THAT...I am trying to recall what it was all about without googling it..Those days are gone...If you think people are all honest and out to do others right by saying LEXUS WOULD issue an LSB, once again, do you sit behind closed doors? Because you have some mechanical knowledge does not mean you know what a multi billion dollar car company would do. Sadly though deceit is sometimes what has to be done even though it is wrong, to stay profitable or even in business. I have been working almost 30 years and I am doing contract work for multi billion dollar oil companies breaking ground for flow lines to plumbing in the last check valve off a treater and believe me I sit in on ALOT of deceit to cover **** up. You THINKING you know everything is tiring. I am walking away from this now...
Uhhh I don't think you understand the difference between a TSB and a recall. Issuing a TSB actually helps the manufacturer and dealerships standardize the repair process. TSB's are just recommended procedures for repairing vehicles. They are a form of diagnosis. The manufacturer is under no obligation to reimburse the dealer for TSB fixes so why would Lexus need to cover things up and not be honest as you say? As stated already if this were a common occurance then Lexus would have already issued a fix.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (06-07-18)
Old 06-07-18, 07:35 AM
Patton6964
Advanced

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Have you been on stock suspension for all 155k miles? If not what did you upgrade / would upgrade too?
Old 06-07-18, 01:12 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

To the op I simply bought mine because of its rarity and having a unique car and I also loved my is350 so I said why not more power and having a car that even some enthusiast don't even know about, nothing like stepping on the gas and smoking the common avg fast car and seeing the confuse face as to why they lost to what they think is just a regular isx50.

I daily drive mine so aside from the gas station visits I don't see why some people don't find it practical since its pretty much an isx50. I will never understand people that complain of the ride quality, why they bought the car I will never know.

Debating the reliability of the car over a couple of known issues here in the forums that don't even have TSB's, means that its not a common issue but we also have a low production vehicle so maybe that's why, but at the end of the day I'm going to go with the very high majority of ISF owners and stick with the non stretched opinion of considering this car reliable.

Last edited by glerink; 06-07-18 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-07-18, 05:24 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by Patton6964
Have you been on stock suspension for all 155k miles? If not what did you upgrade / would upgrade too?
Currently stock. Pretty tired. Putting on Penske.
Old 06-08-18, 07:02 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Currently stock. Pretty tired. Putting on Penske.
What spring rates did you go with? I got the softer 16kg/14kg option, but I'm starting to think about swapping them out for something stiffer.

-Mike
Old 06-08-18, 11:06 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lets see, owned it for a year. Only had to do 1 oil change (will do one this week). Ive seen more Gallardo and 458s than an IS-F in the year. I've kept up with M5s and beaten M3s in a straight line. All while getting 21+ mpg.

Yes folks you can have your cake and eat it too. But for $35-40k I would get a F10 M5 or E63 with amg perf pack
Old 06-09-18, 04:01 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by mikersoft
What spring rates did you go with? I got the softer 16kg/14kg option, but I'm starting to think about swapping them out for something stiffer.

-Mike
Haven't decided yet. Waiting for the funding to free up, but should be September/October at the latest. I'm thinking I'll get a couple of options and decide what I like best by testing.
Old 06-14-18, 06:31 AM
hapasaiyan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My IS-F is my daily driver, and I love every second. I even opt to stuff it to the gills weekly when I make grocery/Costco runs. Our other car is an Odyssey, but I'd just rather drive the F.

It's seriously the have your cake and eat it, too car. The only compromise for me is that it is a 4 seater (vs 5).

*edit* Oh yeah, we live in the midwest, and it's still daily driven year round, even in the snow (albeit with winter tires).

Last edited by hapasaiyan; 06-14-18 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 09:25 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

OK...here's my $0.02...

Why did I buy an IS-F?
I wanted the following: Toyota / Lexus reliability, higher horsepower, and 4 doors to cart the family around. I have owned it for 4 years, 4 track days, in the snow, lots of performance mods and 60k miles with ZERO issues (note - no valley plate leak either). Reliability? Hell yeah! I still have my 2002 IS300 after 16 years and ZERO engine issues and only 1 or 2 minor suspension parts replaced. I have an 12 year old Toyota Sienna that carries the family around daily without issue.

Pros
Reliability, power, 4 doors, aftermarket sounds, surprised look on people's faces as I rev it or even better beat them on the street or track.
Sleeper look
It does everything I want it to

Cons
Small space (what's with the elimination of the back center seat!)
Stiff ride ('08 suspension) - despite the con, I have gone 4 years and 60k miles on the suspension as a daily driver. While a little harsh, I love driving it every day! But I am installing the RR Racing R&T coilovers in the next week or two.
Limited aftermarket
Sleeper look (I'm sorry but it's nice to be noticed every once in awhile)

I plan on driving and tracking this beauty for many more years to come!

Quick Reply: Why IS-F?