IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

ISF Transmission change / flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-17, 08:33 AM
Richy21
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ISF Transmission change / flush

Before I start. Yes I know everyone says we don't need to get it changed and Lexus doesn't recommend it etc etc.

I took my car to the small shop near my house to get an alignment done (use them only for inspections since friendly to mods).

Against my better judgement they asked if I want to get transmission flush/change I agreed to it normally I always do my on work.

So I leave the shop, I smell a slight hint of transmission fluid; I just assumed it was some slight spill or burning off. 75 miles later I parked the car at my house everything is good or so I thought.

I go to move the car two days later massive puddle of the transmission fluid on the ground.

Called the shop and they came and towed it. Well got the results back and they are saying that there is a plug for the transmission fluid near the radiator that went bad?? So since they had nothing to do with I will be paying for the tow bill.

Does any of this sound accurate? I for the life of me can't visualize what they are talking about.
Old 11-20-17, 10:26 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn't let anyone other than a Lexus dealer touch my transmission. It's not your average trans like a Honda Civic has. This one requires special care and procedure on how to do it. Good luck.
Old 11-20-17, 12:09 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Im on an IS-350 and unless they used the Techstream yoda software I think they are BS'g you!

You really need more details and get the thing in the air ASAP and see what all they touched and what has damp ATF on it.

The most likely scenario is they overfilled it and when warm the fluid dumped out the overflow onto your floor.
In short I would ask what all did you touch and what was your procedure for filling and checking the fluid level. Get some details.

In short when the fluid is too high it makes contact with the reciprocating internals and foams up causing it to vent from the over flow. If you get it in the air, you can bet there will be traces of fluid all over the trans and underside of the car if this happened.

No clue about any plug up front. The 350 has a water to oil heat exchanger right on the side of trans so ZERO trans fluid goes past the tranny itself. Does the F use a cooler in the radiator?

Their story seems bunk, look and verify. Drop panels if need be.
Old 11-20-17, 12:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Or they used the tranny cooler lines and didn't secure something. You really need to eyeball the thing and see where the fluid came from.

And if not overfull as mentioned above, does that mean it was low and/or slipping when you drove it as this could shorten its life if low. So could them driving it into the shop if low. More details please.
Old 11-20-17, 02:08 PM
ZDCATC
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Where was the puddle of transmission fluid? Underneath the transmission or underneath the front passenger side radiator area where our trans oil cooler is?
Old 11-20-17, 02:48 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry this happened to you, there's a sticky thread on the main page towards the top. It covers a massive amount of info in reference to the transmission and servicing. Here's the link either way. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tructions.html
The following 2 users liked this post by SoulFreak:
KHISF (12-04-22), s2kjer (12-28-17)
Old 11-20-17, 06:49 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Richy21
Before I start. Yes I know everyone says we don't need to get it changed and Lexus doesn't recommend it etc etc.

I took my car to the small shop near my house to get an alignment done (use them only for inspections since friendly to mods).

Against my better judgement they asked if I want to get transmission flush/change I agreed to it normally I always do my on work.

So I leave the shop, I smell a slight hint of transmission fluid; I just assumed it was some slight spill or burning off. 75 miles later I parked the car at my house everything is good or so I thought.

I go to move the car two days later massive puddle of the transmission fluid on the ground.

Called the shop and they came and towed it. Well got the results back and they are saying that there is a plug for the transmission fluid near the radiator that went bad?? So since they had nothing to do with I will be paying for the tow bill.

Does any of this sound accurate? I for the life of me can't visualize what they are talking about.
No, it doesn't sound accurate. There are no "plugs" for the transmission at the radiator. Sounds like they used a machine that connects to the ATF lines at the radiator, and didn't properly install them when they were finished. The ATF cooling system on the IS F is a bit more complex than the average automatic, and it really sounds like they bit off more than they can chew.
Old 12-28-17, 06:42 AM
camlex
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's always easy way:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexu...t/222731930378
Old 12-28-17, 10:31 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by camlex
That only solves a small part of the whole problem.
Old 12-28-17, 11:40 AM
camlex
Rookie

It's solve the complete part of problem of drain and refill procedure.
I did installed on my RAV4 and RX350, the operating temperature calibrated inner tube(Straw) is part of the kit. once you install that , no more measuring temperature, bending, using funnel etc.
Here's how I tested. I tested my RAV4 because it was sitting in the garage for the weekend. I started to drive for 15 minutes in the street without the AC or heater on.(outside temp was 72F) After I drove I came back home and I let the car idle for 5 minutes, I measured coolant line (Hose) temperature, it was showing 196 F, and transmission fluid line hose was showing 184 F. As the car reached a certain temperature the electric fan kicks on. coolant temp. dropped to 189 F and the transmission fluid hose line temperature dropped to 178F. Perfect. I think it makes sense. So I learned a second trick: if you come back from your driving, as long as your electric fan cycles on and off a couple of times (No AC or heater running in the car), your transmission fluid temperature is at a maximum. I also let it idle an extra 10 minutes, the result was similar. I installed this tube over 3-4 weeks ago and already put lots of miles and the car's transmission runs smoothly and better. So, the tube length is correct because less oil level will whine the transmission and will kill your transmission. The best part is, you won't have to open the refill plug, side clips, adding an extra temporary hose with funnel, and extra tools. hope that helps.

Again 5 degree +/- will not change the transmission fluid level dramatically. (Liquid follows Chemistry rules) it may be less than 1mm. at most. The expansion of fluid will be between cold and 150F, after that it will expand but very little.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-28-17 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-28-17, 11:44 AM
camlex
Rookie

Here's how I tested last weekend. I tested my RAV4 because it was sitting in the garage for the weekend.
I started to drive for 15 minutes in the street without the AC or
heater"><span style=heater" /> heater">heater
on.(outside temp was 72F)
After I drove I came back home and I let the car idle for 5 minutes, I measured coolant line (Hose) temperature,
it was showing 196 F, and trans. fluid line hose was showing 184 F. As the car reached a certain temperature
the elec.fan kicks on. coolant temp. dropped to 189 F and the transmission fluid hose line temperature dropped to 178F.
Perfect. I think it makes sense. So I learned a second trick: if you come back from your driving, as long as your electric fan
cycles on and off a couple of times (No AC or heater running in the car), your transmission fluid temperature is at a maximum.
I also let it idle an extra 10 minutes, the result was similar. I installed this tube over 3-4 weeks ago and already put lots of miles
and the car's transmission runs smoothly and better. So, the tube length is correct because less oil level will whine the transmission
and will kill your transmission. The best part is, you won't have to open the refill plug, side clips, adding an extra temporary hose with funnel, and extra tools.
hope that helps.

Again 5 degree +/- will not change the transmission fluid level dramatically. (Liquid follows Chemistry rules) it may be less than 1mm. at most. The expansion of fluid will be between cold and 150F, after that it will expand but very little.

Last edited by camlex; 12-28-17 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-28-17, 12:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You don't have an IS F. You've never done the procedure on an IS F, and you're telling me how to do something I've done multiple times and telling me this solves all the problems? I think not. Your procedure would be a disaster for an AA80E. Experience with this gearbox tells me 4 ounces low will cause flaring. How many times have you done this on an IS F?
Old 12-28-17, 12:52 PM
camlex
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You don't have an IS F. You've never done the procedure on an IS F, and you're telling me how to do something I've done multiple times and telling me this solves all the problems? I think not. Your procedure would be a disaster for an AA80E. Experience with this gearbox tells me 4 ounces low will cause flaring. How many times have you done this on an IS F?
You are correct. And I am sorry, this AA80E don't have straw and have only drain plug and refill plug you check at 95F-105F.
I thought IS-F has U660E/F transmission.