IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-17, 08:57 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
I have 2012 ISF, as much as it is an improvement over the older shocks.. I still couldn't really stand it for comfort.. I upgraded to BCR + Swift Spring.. although the ride comfortable improved.. the setup just felt cheap in ride quality.

If I had to do it again.. I would have considering going with Bilstein instead.
Surprised to hear that, I love the stock 2012 ride. I think if you are searching for comfort you need to buy an LS or something. I just wish I could find something where I could keep the stock ride and go slightly lower.
Old 06-26-17, 09:48 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah I have to agree with Lobux on this one, this isn't really the car you going to get a comfy ride out of. The best you will get is less stiff/more manageable at best. Its kind of wild when I see folks trying to squeeze GS ride out of the ISF, wrong platform for that. Just have to accept her for what she is, a performance platform, and a heavy one too

Last edited by jdmSW20; 06-26-17 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-28-17, 01:13 PM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Isfast
I have the Bilsteins with Swift springs on my 2012. Handles great, but i would not say it was plush. Much better than the 2008/9. Close to the 2012+, but a little stiffer.
Quick question, I have the B6 dampers ready to install looking to stick with OE springs. Did you transfer over the OE bumpstops to the Bilsteins?
Old 06-28-17, 07:14 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by UKF
Quick question, I have the B6 dampers ready to install looking to stick with OE springs. Did you transfer over the OE bumpstops to the Bilsteins?
i did. Depending on the year of your car you may need custom perches.
Old 06-29-17, 11:03 AM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Isfast
i did. Depending on the year of your car you may need custom perches.
I have a 2008 so I am hoping it's a straight forward replace.
Old 06-30-17, 11:23 AM
Anatoliy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
I have 14/10 setup on Swift.. that is the recommended for comfort..

Several reasons it feels cheap

1. Adjustment of hard/soft.. there is a non-linear change.. adjusting just a click or 2 has large change on how it handles.. instead of a incremental change. I could never get a perfect level of comfort because of the huge change just by 1 click. My adjustments only produced a comfort level best described as "fair" or a 6/10, stock oem 2012 was probably a 4/10.

2. No matter what I adjust.. at low speed.. any decent bump/hole in the road is felt and not handle in a smooth manner.
Would u think 16/12 spring rate would improve the ride quality or it would make it worse?
Old 06-30-17, 06:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Anatoliy
Would u think 16/12 spring rate would improve the ride quality or it would make it worse?
Ride quality isn't spring rate, it's a combination of spring and damping. Stiffer springs need stiffer damping to keep under control. His chief complaint is the same complaint any inexpensive shock suffers - the adjustments quite often do nothing of value. So it won't matter what springs you use, the shocks will likely not be able to be adjusted to control them.

If you really want to know what works, you'll need to have your springs tested (only a few brands actually deliver their ratings, most are junk because they're not even close to what they were sold to be), and you need to have your shocks dyno'd so you know two things - one - they actually dampen consistently on all four corners - two - the adjustments actually do something. Many of the adjustable shocks out there do not actually adjust anything when you put them on a dyno, and some that do make a difference are completely non-linear in their action. This is why the premium brands - Penske, Moton, Ohlins, JRZ - cost a lot of money. They actually work when you put them on a dyno.

But don't believe me. I'm just some idiot posting on an Internet forum. Read what this guy says. He's won national championships.
Originally Posted by farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
Let me make this as clear as I possibly can: THE ADJUSTERS ON YOUR SHOCKS ALMOST CERTAINLY DO NOT DO WHAT YOU THINK THEY DO. Unless you have something high-end, like a Penske, and you've taken the time to clock the adjuster window on the shock dyno, the ***** on your shocks cannot be trusted to work. Most shocks of the same model DO NOT match each other on the same adjuster setting, and each click DOES NOT make the same change in force. Most shocks make very large changes per click near the "full hard" setting and make very little to no change near the "full soft" setting.
The following users liked this post:
UCrazyKid (07-06-17)
Old 06-30-17, 07:20 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Lance

Your opinion please. For a non adjustable shock, do you believe the Bilstein B6 to be a junk shock absorber? I have been contemplating getting them once my shocks wear out, if that ever happens. As you probable know, I am happy with my stock '08 suspension with the RR Racing bushings in front and the F-Sport bar in back.

Lou
Old 07-01-17, 12:49 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Lance

Your opinion please. For a non adjustable shock, do you believe the Bilstein B6 to be a junk shock absorber? I have been contemplating getting them once my shocks wear out, if that ever happens. As you probable know, I am happy with my stock '08 suspension with the RR Racing bushings in front and the F-Sport bar in back.

Lou
If you get them dyno tested and they deliver what they promise, no. If you just buy them and assume all is good, yes.

Most of NASCAR runs Bilstein shocks. It's not the brand, it's because they can be built to spec and rebuilt to spec by a competent shock engineer. I've seen rack loads of Bilstein shocks in a shop in Charlotte all waiting to be put back in service. But the guys buying the rebuild service wouldn't consider paying money without a full dyno test and print out. No different than an engine dyno test to prove the work you did actually created a benefit.
Old 07-03-17, 08:12 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can say I have had Bilsteins on number of my custom cars and trucks. Some custom built with dyno sheet and others straight off the shelf. So far I have been happy with then every time. I would not hesitate to use them as a stock replacement on our ISF. That being said, if you are concerned and are willing to spend a few extra bucks there are a number of shops around the country that can get you custom built/valved/length Bilsteins specific to your application that can also dyno them for you. However, if you are like me and do not track your F you would probably be happy with the off the shelf units from Bilstein. Our stock shocks are getting up there in age, when I replace I will go Bilstein and report back my thoughts.
Old 07-03-17, 09:30 AM
daedalus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact FIGS and get their Ohlins setup based on the R&T platform (DFV). I've had the Ohlins DFV's on two of my cars now and it hands down beats any other coilover setup i've had for the dampening quality and ride comfort. The figs setup just adds custom spring rates to the setup but it's still reasonably priced (or you could get the normal Ohlins DFV setup if you wanted their spring rates at a lower price).
Old 07-04-17, 11:55 AM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bilstein B6 or the Tokico HTS117 is what I'm curious about. What would be the best choice to replace the oem shocks with?
Old 07-06-17, 08:39 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by samjones
Bilstein B6 or the Tokico HTS117 is what I'm curious about. What would be the best choice to replace the oem shocks with?
Bilstein B6

Tokico is what came in the 2008s (I believe).

This: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html (thank you Lobuxracer for this)
Old 07-06-17, 03:15 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Wonder what would be involved in convincing Bilstein to offer the B8. There's so many F's with swift springs that are happy with the ride height that a B8 just makes WAY more sense than the B6.
Old 07-06-17, 03:25 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^This, wouldn't that be nice!

Quick Reply: Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)