IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-17, 02:57 AM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Transfering springs and mounts across to the Billys. Hopefully fitting these today.

Old 07-19-17, 03:43 PM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice! Looking forward to the update.
Old 07-25-17, 07:30 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Any update?
Old 07-27-17, 02:46 PM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys sorry for the late update, so the B6s have been fitted with OE springs, together with a set of Yokohama Advan Sport v105s rear tyres.

Now I'm coming from having a set of BC Racing coils 14/10 on the car for about 6 months and before that, the standard 2008 OE suspension for about another 6 months. First thing that I noticed was the reduction in overall road noise compared with the BCs, probably because the B6s use the OE top mounts which provide some isolation from the road. Turn in is not as sharp as on the BCs but its pretty damn good, the other thing I noticed was the steering felt a little heavier and so does the car. On the BCs with the higher spring rates the car felt more on its toes, that feeling is now reduced but in terms of comfort and handling the roads here in the UK its much better. Don't get me wrong its still a sporty ride but the quicker you go down some of the A roads the better the suspension soaks up the bumps.

There is a very good review of the B6s over on the M3 cutters forum http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125709 and I echo much of what he has said, its worth a read. I've not done many miles yet so suspension is still bedding in but as in the M3 cutters post, I think the ride height has slightly increased over stock. I will get a measurement once I get a few miles on it. In the M3 cutter post the reviewer mentions the fact that the B6s are sensitive to tire pressures and a reduction in PSI gives a much more compliant ride, so today I reduced my pressures from 35PSI all round to 31PSI and I can confirm the difference over bumps and overall compliance is excellent.

The suspension so far has been completely silent as well, just like stock. For the roads I travel on and my driving style I'm happy with this setup and the car drives more like a Lexus than on the BC coils, but I do miss the way the stiffer spring rates on the BCs made the ISF light on its feet. From a price point the B6s are a bargain in my opinion, I paid £480 delivered to my door from Germany and I know they will last for ever.

Any questions let me know, will try my best to answer them and I will get some pics up of the car ride height this weekend weather permitting.
Old 07-27-17, 04:40 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Interesting!..... Thanks for your review on the B6s....I know some members have been needing some feedback on these
Old 07-31-17, 11:38 AM
oogachacca
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UKF
Hi guys sorry for the late update, so the B6s have been fitted with OE springs, together with a set of Yokohama Advan Sport v105s rear tyres.

Now I'm coming from having a set of BC Racing coils 14/10 on the car for about 6 months and before that, the standard 2008 OE suspension for about another 6 months. First thing that I noticed was the reduction in overall road noise compared with the BCs, probably because the B6s use the OE top mounts which provide some isolation from the road. Turn in is not as sharp as on the BCs but its pretty damn good, the other thing I noticed was the steering felt a little heavier and so does the car. On the BCs with the higher spring rates the car felt more on its toes, that feeling is now reduced but in terms of comfort and handling the roads here in the UK its much better. Don't get me wrong its still a sporty ride but the quicker you go down some of the A roads the better the suspension soaks up the bumps.

There is a very good review of the B6s over on the M3 cutters forum http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=125709 and I echo much of what he has said, its worth a read. I've not done many miles yet so suspension is still bedding in but as in the M3 cutters post, I think the ride height has slightly increased over stock. I will get a measurement once I get a few miles on it. In the M3 cutter post the reviewer mentions the fact that the B6s are sensitive to tire pressures and a reduction in PSI gives a much more compliant ride, so today I reduced my pressures from 35PSI all round to 31PSI and I can confirm the difference over bumps and overall compliance is excellent.

The suspension so far has been completely silent as well, just like stock. For the roads I travel on and my driving style I'm happy with this setup and the car drives more like a Lexus than on the BC coils, but I do miss the way the stiffer spring rates on the BCs made the ISF light on its feet. From a price point the B6s are a bargain in my opinion, I paid £480 delivered to my door from Germany and I know they will last for ever.

Any questions let me know, will try my best to answer them and I will get some pics up of the car ride height this weekend weather permitting.
Thanks for the feedback!

My Bilsteins B6 are coming in today! So I'm really excited based on your review.

We (Outcast Garage) should be installing them sometime this week.

I came from 2010 OEM suspension, and I swear, the shocks may have been blown because it was so bouncy like a Civic with cut springs.

I tested out a friend's Endless Zeals but it wasn't what I expected and the wifey was not happy with with the ride quality! The ride was too rough and bouncy. I could never dial in the dampening correctly. (Wifey was throwing up on every dip or bump the ride home from LA freeways).
Old 07-31-17, 03:16 PM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oogachacca
Thanks for the feedback!

My Bilsteins B6 are coming in today! So I'm really excited based on your review.

We (Outcast Garage) should be installing them sometime this week.

I came from 2010 OEM suspension, and I swear, the shocks may have been blown because it was so bouncy like a Civic with cut springs.

I tested out a friend's Endless Zeals but it wasn't what I expected and the wifey was not happy with with the ride quality! The ride was too rough and bouncy. I could never dial in the dampening correctly. (Wifey was throwing up on every dip or bump the ride home from LA freeways).
I hope you like them. I wonder if you could do me a favour when you do the install. Take a note of which direction the front top mounts are facing when you take the OE suspension off. Apparently there are arrows which need to be pointed in the same way when mounted on the B6s. I have developed a drift to the left which I didn't have with the BC coils so I think the installer may not have fitted the top mounts in the correct way. It's just a guess at the moment but something I need to check. I have put another post up if someone with the OE suspension can check for me.
Old 07-31-17, 04:22 PM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

Done a bit of digging. See link below on how the top mounts should be fitted regarding lining the arrows to point away. Need to check mine now to make sure this has been done correctly. Anyone doing this please take note

http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/is...ber/page_6425/
Old 07-31-17, 04:36 PM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

And rear
http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/is...ber/page_6436/
Old 07-31-17, 04:55 PM
UKF
Driver School Candidate

And rear
http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/is...ber/page_6436/
Old 09-14-17, 10:37 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Bump for updates on this thread^^ anything new to add with the B6
Old 10-03-17, 11:48 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So I am at my wits end with my 2008 ISF. Taking a long drive (1+ hr) is torture near DC suburbs. Will B6 shocks be the most cost effective way to fix the bouncy suspension?

Also, for the lateral turns thinking about the F sport rear sway bar would that make the ride more harsher?
Old 10-05-17, 07:54 AM
webra
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drove a friend's ISF with Ohlins coil overs installed. Brilliant ride quality.
Old 10-05-17, 09:12 AM
socal3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I need to look into the B6's also my 08 suspension on tien springs is really my only complaint about the car (other than door panels). I love the low life and how it looks buts the harshness of the ride is ridiculous.
Old 10-06-17, 08:56 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
The B6 should work very well with the OEM spring and very likely a mild lowering spring like the Swift.

So many others are crazy for coilover but for street they are really over kill and for a regular driver it is a lot of money to get a well made set, have them installed, and have the car corner balanced. And then there is the maintenance...

The B8 really isn't necessary unless you are really going to put aggressive lowering springs on the car, but then I think those that want a really low car are going threaded body coilover anyway. It makes the B8 market for ISF small for Bilstein. I'm guessing it was a business decision at Bilstein to just make the B6 as many cars are now of the age to just have the stock shocks replaced with a OEM like replacement.

It is my understanding the B6 and B8 have the same valving and performance profile and just very in piston length to maintain an "optimal" working position for the corresponding spring height.
Confirmed the above quotes with Bilstein. They did confirm what you said about the valving between the B6 and B8 is the same. But more importantly I did find one quote on CL on another thread that really didn't get noticed and I confirmed with Bilstein is the fact that the B6 can handle up to a 30mm drop ( =1.1" ) with a mild lowering spring like the Swift without any problems the rep said and it's on their Q&A page.

So considering the Swift springs lower by 1.1 inches in the front and 0.6 inches in the rear there is really no need for the B8 with Swift springs anyhow unless you have a drop spring that exceeds 30mm then that would be out of the range that Bilstein recommends for the B6 and then the B8 would be more appropriate at that point.

Hope this clears up some confusion with the B6 being used with Swift springs

Quick Reply: Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)