IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 08:26 PM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=MileHIFcar;10011283]Nice! I'm guessing you ordered all 4 which means you got the last pair for the fronts that they had in stock?

Yea, I purchased all 4. I got eibach springs on right now so I will be pairing those two. I'm really hoping for a softer ride. Someone mentioned to me to trim the bump stops for more damper travel. Anyone tried this method?
Old 10-20-17, 12:43 PM
oogachacca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

Sorry, I've been MIA!

I just checked, Bilstein is complete out of stock as of today and one of their largest distributor is also out of stock.

Going from the Endless Zeals to the OEM springs and Bilstein B6s, I definitely noticed an improvement from the previous bouncy ride I had before but it's not as compliant as I thought it would be.

I'm still trying to figure out what is causing such a bouncy ride. The OEM springs I used came with the F, and the car is at 120K miles so I can't be sure if the Bilsteins are performing to it's full capacity since the springs could be too worn from the high miles. Also, when I purchased the car, the two front tires were different brands/model as well as the rear tires. So I had a mix-match of 3 different tire brands/models. I had the front two replaced so I currently have two different brand/models front and rear. I then tried on one of our shop wheels (20s) with matching tires all around. The car felt much better on the road, over bumps and through the turns.

I've come to find out after a lot of trial & error and forum searching that our cars are very sensitive to tire pressure. So playing with that has helped but I'm 100% sure that the tires on the car is what's causing the terrible ride quality. So up next will be new tires! I really think there's something else that needs to be looked into or changed out. Probably all the bushings, and some suspension upgrades from FIGS.

I'm not looking for a smooth Lexus GS ride. I just don't want the wifey and I go to flying out of our seats every time we hit a little bump on the road. I think the car caught some air last week through an intersection!

The Plan:
1. New Tires
2. If new tires drastically improve the ride, then Swift Springs with Bilstein B6s (Thanks to @MileHIFcar 's confirmation with Bilstein)
. Replace bushings with new OEM ones or FIGS (Depending on what is recommended since I don't track the car)
4. Refinish the factory wheels and add spacers (Quality ones of course! KW x ST Suspension or H&R)

Also, thank you @UKF for pointing out the spring and strut direction with the manuals! Helped a lot!

Here they are assembled! I have more photos of the install on my camera at home though.

Today is oil change Friday! Going to do Sea Foam before the oil change. Switching from Motul 5W-30 to Mobil 1 5W-30 based on @LobuxRacer

I also get the worst MPG. (12ish MPG driving in the city)
Attached Thumbnails Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-img_3782.jpg  

Last edited by oogachacca; 10-20-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-20-17, 03:30 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Weapon F, I don't know who you got your order through on the rears, but you might want to cancel that and just order the rears from Car id since they have 12 left?
I would assume the pair of fronts will be gone soon though as someone finds out this info then they will be out until Bilstein replenishes the stock here in the U.S. which might be a few months?

https://www.carid.com/2008-lexus-is-...-17172174.html
Thanks for the heads up but I realize the same thing as well, the company I ordered from told me it could be January maybe even later since the month of December they go on holiday in Germany so I order rears from tirerack they to were more expensive but they had them. I literally got one of last set left I order them last Tuesday they're coming out of Nevada I should have them by this Wednesday coming.

Just recieved some more goodies from Figs Engineering front sway bar endlink, upper control arm offset poly camber adjustment bushing, track link front mount poly bushing, also new front mount sway bar bushing.

Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171020_173732-1200x2133.jpgUpgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171020_173739-1200x2133.jpgUpgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171020_173744-1200x2133.jpg
Old 10-20-17, 06:16 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Awesome guys!

I think we should have some more reviews/testimonies upcoming! Mine should be delivered Monday or Tuesday next week and plan to have them installed by the end of next week hopefully before the weekend. I'll update when I get them installed and my impressions.
Old 10-21-17, 03:34 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
At this point and time there are no lower spring companies that are making front spring rated at 16k or any were near that number for ISF or any car that I've heard of. Lowering springs and shocks set up for me are not ideal for track setup us less your into 1/4 mile racing. They just don't offer the rebound ,dampening, quick responsiveness and adjustability that are needed for track use. Anyone looking for high spring rates must go coilover. It all comes down to what your goals are. I've already tracked my car several times it was fun I had great time with it, but I'm no longer looking to track my ISF that will fall on my next toy either Z06 or ZR1 in 2yrs when hit 56 and retire. So my ISF will be focused on its DD duties with some occasional spirited driving on back roads of NewYork and Connecticut. And since my F will still commute into Manhattan daily over some poor roads in the city, something in the middle with a little bit of suppleness, that will be able to handle some of the poor road conditions in NYC. If they give me a similar ride quality of my ISF when it was brand new back in 2011 I'll be fine with that. For me it comes down to expectation I pretty much know what I'm getting and I'm fine with it. That's why I've also opted to upgrade and update several of bushings in front and rear end of car. Combined with the new adjustable end links, toe links, LCA, front sway endlinks and the last piece of puzzle figs V2 mega arm should be more than adequate for what I plan to use F for. Once I have everything installed I'll definitely update everyone on how the ride qualities is and my driving impressions of this setup. Keep in mind this car is being set up as a daily driver with some spirited driving use not as a track Beast.
I put a set of Fortune Auto 500 coilovers with Swift springs on my G35 coupe for about 1400$+ all in with extenders, Swift upgrade, etc. These shocks are all hand assembled at Fortune in Richmond and matched to whatever spring rate you want. They are big monotube shocks. They also dyno their shocks. I verified with them that their 500series (rebound adjustable only) for the IS350 works for the F. I would highly recommend giving them a shot, as their products are top quality with great customer service and revalvimg available as well. In hindsight on my G I would have gone with their 510series that is rebound and dampening adjustable, but, I’m stupid!

Also, on the Fortune site they sell Swift springs in all available lengths and rates, so, you can pick your options. They noted that it is only good to go about +/-2kg in spring rates over what the shocks were originally valved for, so, keep that in mind if looking to go this route.

Their coilovers are dead silent and very competent feeling on the road. For the price and what you get, I think it’s a no brainer over trying to put different shocks and springs together, plus you get full height adjustability.

Last edited by Jz39; 10-21-17 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-21-17, 09:36 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
I put a set of Fortune Auto 500 coilovers with Swift springs on my G35 coupe for about 1400$+ all in with extenders, Swift upgrade, etc. These shocks are all hand assembled at Fortune in Richmond and matched to whatever spring rate you want. They are big monotube shocks. They also dyno their shocks. I verified with them that their 500series (rebound adjustable only) for the IS350 works for the F. I would highly recommend giving them a shot, as their products are top quality with great customer service and revalvimg available as well. In hindsight on my G I would have gone with their 510series that is rebound and dampening adjustable, but, I’m stupid!

Also, on the Fortune site they sell Swift springs in all available lengths and rates, so, you can pick your options. They noted that it is only good to go about +/-2kg in spring rates over what the shocks were originally valved for, so, keep that in mind if looking to go this route.
Wow cool! Thanks for that info, can't say I've heard of them before? Or at least I don't remember reading about them as an option for the ISF here on CL.

That is what I was trying to find out, what the stock spring rates are?? I never got an answer and nobody seemed to know when I asked. I guess it pertains to what you said about only going +/-2kg in spring rate over what the shocks were originally valved for. Only this was about the spring rate of the swifts @ 9k & 8k and if they matched well spring rate wise to the Bilsteins and what they were originally valved for (stock rate?).
Old 10-21-17, 12:27 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

I’ve heard good first hand experiences with Fortune Auto as well. A pretty affordable option that’s assembled stateside and supplies shock dyno. Something that not even some of the spendier options provide.
Old 10-21-17, 12:51 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I liked the fact that they valve the shocks to match the spring rate that you chose and you can chose any rate you want in 1kg increments. That and the fact that they are US which means you can get your issues addressed if anything arises.
Old 10-21-17, 04:51 PM
samjones
Driver

There's also CKS Suspension ... @Joe Z has their coils on his ISF. Maybe he can give us some feedback on those as well?
Old 10-26-17, 10:10 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

Ok, Bilstein B6 rear shocks arrived today from tire rack now all I'm waiting for all the new isolators I ordered for the rear shocks and new poly front sway bar bushings. Hopefully those parts will be here by the middle of next week and if they are I'll start install them on the weekend.
Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171026_180424-1024x576.jpgUpgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171026_180532-576x1024.jpgUpgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171026_181038-576x1024.jpg
The following users liked this post:
B0077144 (06-13-18)
Old 02-10-18, 09:12 AM
ninten5
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bump, finally got around to ordering bilstein B6 shocks, apparently its like finding a needle in a haystack! Called 5 vendors all special order. So how long is the actual delivery from order date. I know 6-8 weeks sound too good to be true.
Old 02-19-18, 03:40 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ninten5
Bump, finally got around to ordering bilstein B6 shocks, apparently its like finding a needle in a haystack! Called 5 vendors all special order. So how long is the actual delivery from order date. I know 6-8 weeks sound too good to be true.

I called Bilstein and they said that its not out of a production, so we will see because I just placed an order myself so let me know when you get yours. Let the waiting begin
Old 03-01-18, 11:38 AM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

so I ended up hunting them down bought 3 from place and one from another because 6-8 week turn around sounds crazy and its not guaranteed

Last edited by glerink; 03-01-18 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-31-18, 07:18 PM
samjones
Driver

Just got my b6 shocks installed ... I've also trimmed the bump stops. I'm amazed on the ride quality. It's amazing. It's no where as harsh as oem.

A few things to consider:

My front is sitting a bit higher than before
The rear is sitting a little lower than before
once in a while I hear that "click" coming from the back just like that BMW review mentioned
I've only had them on for 50kms but I'm very happy with them so far.
Old 05-31-18, 10:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

^^^^Thanks. That would kill it for me. I'd like the front to be a bit lower, and with my 295s in back, I absolutely can not be any lower.

But, I always thought, and still believe that ride height is spring dependent not shock dependent. Are you absolutely sure of your observations?

Lou

Quick Reply: Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)