IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-17, 05:47 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Confirmed the above quotes with Bilstein. They did confirm what you said about the valving between the B6 and B8 is the same. But more importantly I did find one quote on CL on another thread that really didn't get noticed and I confirmed with Bilstein is the fact that the B6 can handle up to a 30mm drop ( =1.1" ) with a mild lowering spring like the Swift without any problems the rep said and it's on their Q&A page.

So considering the Swift springs lower by 1.1 inches in the front and 0.6 inches in the rear there is really no need for the B8 with Swift springs anyhow unless you have a drop spring that exceeds 30mm then that would be out of the range that Bilstein recommends for the B6 and then the B8 would be more appropriate at that point.

Hope this clears up some confusion with the B6 being used with Swift springs
Hmm... thanks for confirming the swift fact. That changes the game for me as I have the B6's, and do want to lower the gap a bit as I'm running 18 inch wheels.
Old 10-07-17, 09:14 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 402 Likes on 256 Posts

For sure!!^^^^^^^^I've went back and forth on coilovers for the past couple months and I think I'm going to bite the bullet on the Bilstein B6's since I already have the swifts installed on the stock Tokico's which should be an upgrade from what I've researched. On top of everything it's cost effective compared to a good set like the Penske's which if I had the extra cash I would opt for them but not in my immediate future.

I know Lobux said to get a dyno plot/graph for each shock to verify consistency but I don't think that's available with the Bilstein's unless you custom order from them?? So the out of the box valving will have to do and gamble that the shocks all perform the same out of the box. I did read that article that Lance put up and it is very informative
Old 10-07-17, 10:15 PM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Could we do a group buy on these (bilstein b6) and request for a dyno? If someone could get that done I'd be down for sure.
Old 10-08-17, 12:43 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

^^^^That's a good question?? I have no idea how that would workout or if that's possible
Old 10-08-17, 10:05 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,289 Posts

^^^^Well Sure, Step #1 would be to find a vendor, preferably a CL Sponsor, who is an authorized reseller of Bilstein products. Then that reseller would need to work out a deal with Bilstein.

Lou
Old 10-09-17, 05:15 PM
Weapon F

Received 249 Likes on 135 Posts

I start down this path few weeks ago. Currently have swift springs, I've had them for over year lol. Figs engineering toe links, RR Racing LCA already i stalled, Bilstein B6 front shocks waiting on the rears they're on backorder. Rear Sikky sway bar and endlinks also waiting on the new rear shock isolators top n bottom to come in they should be here in week as well. Figs engineering front end links with new front sway bar bushings that are on their way. I'm calling up figs have a few questions regarding certain bushings. Once I have everything together or start a thread on my build.
Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171009_140246-1024x619.jpgUpgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171009_140433-1024x576.jpgUpgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171009_122018-1024x576.jpgUpgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-20171009_121655-1024x576.jpgUpgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)-airbrush_20171009134802.jpg

Last edited by Weapon F; 10-09-17 at 05:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
UCrazyKid (10-11-17)
Old 10-09-17, 06:45 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

That's cool that your starting this suspension project!

My only concern is the fact that the Swift springs front spring rate is 9k and everyone has said through the years that the ISF needs higher spring rates than what OEM springs provide, hence the Penske's are 16k & BC's are 16k & the Greddy's new spring rate that they revised is I think 16k fronts & the RR R&T coils are 16k front and finally the HKS are 16k Front as well. I think you guys see the point I'm making with this trend on coilover options being that other manufactures at least put a 16k front spring with some of them as an option to go 18k because of the front end weight of our cars.

The only other set of coilovers that have a lower spring rate are KW V3s which I think are around 9k like the swifts (someone correct me if I'm wrong with the front spring rates of the KW's) and some people say that spring rate is to low for spirited driving or a track day every now and then?

So to wrap this up the Bilsteins are a quality shock no doubt! But I'm just concerned about the valving to spring rate on the swifts as my only hold up......

Thoughts on this anyone?
Old 10-09-17, 08:08 PM
Weapon F

At this point and time there are no lower spring companies that are making front spring rated at 16k or any were near that number for ISF or any car that I've heard of. Lowering springs and shocks set up for me are not ideal for track setup us less your into 1/4 mile racing. They just don't offer the rebound ,dampening, quick responsiveness and adjustability that are needed for track use. Anyone looking for high spring rates must go coilover. It all comes down to what your goals are. I've already tracked my car several times it was fun I had great time with it, but I'm no longer looking to track my ISF that will fall on my next toy either Z06 or ZR1 in 2yrs when hit 56 and retire. So my ISF will be focused on its DD duties with some occasional spirited driving on back roads of NewYork and Connecticut. And since my F will still commute into Manhattan daily over some poor roads in the city, something in the middle with a little bit of suppleness, that will be able to handle some of the poor road conditions in NYC. If they give me a similar ride quality of my ISF when it was brand new back in 2011 I'll be fine with that. For me it comes down to expectation I pretty much know what I'm getting and I'm fine with it. That's why I've also opted to upgrade and update several of bushings in front and rear end of car. Combined with the new adjustable end links, toe links, LCA, front sway endlinks and the last piece of puzzle figs V2 mega arm should be more than adequate for what I plan to use F for. Once I have everything installed I'll definitely update everyone on how the ride qualities is and my driving impressions of this setup. Keep in mind this car is being set up as a daily driver with some spirited driving use not as a track Beast.
Old 10-09-17, 08:21 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

I hear ya^^^^^And I get your situation you described. I guess I've done so much research the last couple months that I have paralysis by too much analysis and I'm second guessing all my decisions

One minute I'm coilovers and the next minute I'm good with just the Bilsteins smh....lol...and then it's price that creeps in my head as well

I'm sure I'll make my decision pretty soon regardless which route I go with.

Thx for the input and opinion and feedback and look forward to your review of your new setup
Old 10-09-17, 09:02 PM
Weapon F

No worries I've been going through the same thing, couldn't decide between Swift Springs with Bilstein shocks or coilovers that's why I've had the Swift spring sitting in my garage for over a year. I had to decide what type of driving I was going to do with the car and the road conditions it would see. I could have gone with a set of BC coilovers with Swiss Springs but I just don't think from what I've read that I would gotten the ride qualities I was looking for. Now if I was going to track the car or make it weekend Warrior sure I could then justify cost and go with set of Penske coilovers or even Ohlins coilovers they would give me everything that I was asking for. But at their price point when you factor in cost of the coilovers, installation and corner balancing you're closing around that 5000k mark and then theirs maintaining them especially being daily driven over potholes raise plows, expansion joints, dips and bumps in the road you name it it just didn't make sense for type of driving I was going to do with car at this point in time. When you start to modify things there's always going to be a compromise you just have to be prepared to live with those compromises. I'm not looking for a silky smooth ride otherwise I wouldn't be driving ISF, what I am looking for is controled compliant ride thst I can live with.
MileHIFcar (10-09-17)
Old 10-11-17, 06:26 AM
UCrazyKid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Weapon F
... at their price point when you factor in cost of the coilovers, installation and corner balancing you're closing around that $5k mark and then theirs maintaining them especially being daily driven over potholes raise plows, expansion joints, dips and bumps in the road you name it it just didn't make sense for type of driving I was going to do with car at this point in time... ... I'm not looking for a silky smooth ride otherwise I wouldn't be driving ISF, what I am looking for is controled compliant ride thst I can live with.
^^^ this x1000. Thank you for the voice of reason. I'm planning on going the same route as you when the time comes. I'll be watching your build thread carefully.
Old 10-19-17, 05:12 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Weapon F
I start down this path few weeks ago. Currently have swift springs, I've had them for over year lol. Figs engineering toe links, RR Racing LCA already i stalled, Bilstein B6 front shocks waiting on the rears they're on backorder. Rear Sikky sway bar and endlinks also waiting on the new rear shock isolators top n bottom to come in they should be here in week as well. Figs engineering front end links with new front sway bar bushings that are on their way. I'm calling up figs have a few questions regarding certain bushings. Once I have everything together or start a thread on my build.
Attachment 467723Attachment 467724Attachment 467725Attachment 467726Attachment 467727
Just an update guys:

I decided to order the Bilstein B6's last week with AutoAnything since they had the cheapest price for all 4 @ $613.........fast-forward to yesterday when they were suppose to be shipped out and I called them for the tracking # and they said that they were completely out at their warehouse and apologized that their system had incorrectly said they had some in stock when I placed my order.

So I had them call Bilstein to verify what Weapon F said above about them being on backorder and Bilstein verified that they are out and have been out nationwide for months now. Some kind of delay in Germany where they are shuffling around inventory and new machines or something of the sort? Anyhow Bilstein said that the B6 for the ISF is a special order item and that they don't produce many of them, but they do produce them when they get orders from their dealers here in states.

Long story short I cancelled my order with Auto Anything after they said the earliest would be Nov28th (with no guarantees), but realistically could be February 2018 before they get their shipment in from Germany.

So I started checking different vendors yesterday and today and went through about 6 vendors online and everyone of them said they don't stock them usually and that they could get them but they are a special order item. Finally I checked Car iD as a last resort because their pricing is more expensive than other vendors and low and behold they had a few left in stock!

So I placed my order with them and asked if they would match Auto Anything price and they came close @ $661 ($48 more) with free 2 day shipping. This is what they have left in inventory if anyone is interested as I think they might be the only ones in the country with stock left of the B6's for our cars.

After my order they have:

1 driver side front left. part # 24-155311
1 passenger side front right. part # 24-155328
12 rear shocks part # 24-155335

Weapon F, I don't know who you got your order through on the rears, but you might want to cancel that and just order the rears from Car id since they have 12 left?
I would assume the pair of fronts will be gone soon though as someone finds out this info then they will be out until Bilstein replenishes the stock here in the U.S. which might be a few months?

https://www.carid.com/2008-lexus-is-...-17172174.html
breed (06-15-19)
Old 10-19-17, 06:48 PM
samjones
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

​​​​
Originally Posted by MileHIFcar
Just an update guys:

I decided to order the Bilstein B6's last week with AutoAnything since they had the cheapest price for all 4 @ $613.........fast-forward to yesterday when they were suppose to be shipped out and I called them for the tracking # and they said that they were completely out at their warehouse and apologized that their system had incorrectly said they had some in stock when I placed my order.

So I had them call Bilstein to verify what Weapon F said above about them being on backorder and Bilstein verified that they are out and have been out nationwide for months now. Some kind of delay in Germany where they are shuffling around inventory and new machines or something of the sort? Anyhow Bilstein said that the B6 for the ISF is a special order item and that they don't produce many of them, but they do produce them when they get orders from their dealers here in states.

Long story short I cancelled my order with Auto Anything after they said the earliest would be Nov28th (with no guarantees), but realistically could be February 2018 before they get their shipment in from Germany.

So I started checking different vendors yesterday and today and went through about 6 vendors online and everyone of them said they don't stock them usually and that they could get them but they are a special order item. Finally I checked Car iD as a last resort because their pricing is more expensive than other vendors and low and behold they had a few left in stock!

So I placed my order with them and asked if they would match Auto Anything price and they came close @ $661 ($48 more) with free 2 day shipping. This is what they have left in inventory if anyone is interested as I think they might be the only ones in the country with stock left of the B6's for our cars.

After my order they have:

1 driver side front left. part # 24-155311
1 passenger side front right. part # 24-155328
12 rear shocks part # 24-155335

Weapon F, I don't know who you got your order through on the rears, but you might want to cancel that and just order the rears from Car id since they have 12 left?
I would assume the pair of fronts will be gone soon though as someone finds out this info then they will be out until Bilstein replenishes the stock here in the U.S. which might be a few months?

https://www.carid.com/2008-lexus-is-...-17172174.html

Thank you for this. Just ordered mine. I forgot to ask about the shipping tho, hopefully they ship them within 24 hours as well
Old 10-19-17, 07:14 PM
davinadze
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im one of the only ones using Bilstein b6 on Swift springs for about 5 monts now. Can't compare to stock ride on my 08, because I bought mine with tein comfort coilovers, witch were softer on pot holes but bumpier ride on softest settings. But I love how b6/swift handle at high speeds, at least compared to teins with soft settings. Mine were on back custom order. I ordered anyways and they arrived in a good time order.

b6/swift is kinda rough on sharp pot holes at low speeds. Im using kyb new top mounts. Maybe I will try 31 psi in front 255/35/19 dws tires, like one of the members mentioned earlier, hopefully that will eliminate the sharp tump in front. I also have Figs lower and upper front control arm bushings.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 10-20-17 at 11:05 AM. Reason: no selling in the main forums
Old 10-19-17, 08:18 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by samjones
​​​​Thank you for this. Just ordered mine. I forgot to ask about the shipping tho, hopefully they ship them within 24 hours as well
Nice! I'm guessing you ordered all 4 which means you got the last pair for the fronts that they had in stock?

Originally Posted by davinadze
Im one of the only ones using Bilstein b6 on Swift springs for about 5 monts now. Can't compare to stock ride on my 08, because I bought mine with tein comfort coilovers, witch were softer on pot holes but bumpier ride on softest settings. But I love how b6/swift handle at high speeds, at least compared to teins with soft settings. Mine were on back custom order. I ordered anyways and they arrived in a good time order.

b6/swift is kinda rough on sharp pot holes at low speeds. Im using kyb new top mounts. Maybe I will try 31 psi in front 255/35/19 dws tires, like one of the members mentioned earlier, hopefully that will eliminate the sharp tump in front. I also have Figs lower and upper front control arm bushings.
Thanks for your review of the set-up! I know of just a few others with this set-up and everybody seems to like the combo for the price point
There is a CL member here who has the Bilstein/Swift combo on his S/C ISF and loves it! Says the backend just squats down and puts down the power without any fuss or wheel hop

I know it's not the softest set-up, but for about $900 for performance shocks and springs you really can't go wrong without spending a minimum of $400 more for the BC coils w/Swift spring upgrade @ $1,300 then you jump up to the $2,000+ price point for some nice coil overs and beyond.

Quick Reply: Upgrading Shocks from 2010 (Bilstein or 2013 OE)