Intermediate

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

b15....PM sent.
Old 05-16-17, 10:46 AM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by devincl
Texas taxes are 6.25% which means it would need to be $37k to stay under 40k out the door.

I am looking for a great deal, so suppose it will depend on how much the dealer wants to sell it
Have you made a price offer to them ? Really only way to find out.
Old 05-18-17, 07:32 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Well. It looks like the one in Ohio sold fast after the price drop. It's no longer listed.
Old 05-18-17, 09:05 PM
AndrewISF
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

The price isn't too bad considering what else is out there right now as most of the other 2012s that are priced lower have at least double the mileage. Without doing extensive background checks on the car and checking the maintenance history I would try and get them down a little bit but I think it's a seller's market on for clean low mileage 2012+.
Old 05-20-17, 06:16 AM
spacexmase
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found a 2012 with 5k miles for $49k asking. What is a good number to throw?
Old 05-20-17, 08:06 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I am not a pricing expert or anything close but if it is accident free with that mileage, the asking price may be fair because of supply (low mileage) and it has the 2012+ LSD upgrade.

Can I ask if this is a private seller or a dealer? Just curious as to the history of a 5 yr ord car with 5K miles.
Old 05-20-17, 08:21 PM
kolyan
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mr2dave
I am not a pricing expert or anything close but if it is accident free with that mileage, the asking price may be fair because of supply (low mileage) and it has the 2012+ LSD upgrade.

Can I ask if this is a private seller or a dealer? Just curious as to the history of a 5 yr ord car with 5K miles.
LSD was available since 2010.....
Old 05-20-17, 09:34 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan
LSD was available since 2010.....
'12 Fs have soooo many more upgrades over '08-'10 Fs, with LSD being one of them.
But the car in question is well worth the $49k price tag with only 5k miles on it! Who (that's serious about buying an F) wouldn't buy a $72k car with 5k miles on it for a $23k discount?!? I would take that car in a heartbeat. Rare car and probably not another '12+ F out there period (much less for sale), with under 10k miles on it! He'll, we just had a '12 F with I believe 32k+ miles on it sale for $45k+ in perfect condition. No way I'd let the 5k mile one slide for $4k more if I was in the market again.

V.
Old 05-21-17, 10:40 AM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vitveet
'12 Fs have soooo many more upgrades over '08-'10 Fs, with LSD being one of them.
But the car in question is well worth the $49k price tag with only 5k miles on it! Who (that's serious about buying an F) wouldn't buy a $72k car with 5k miles on it for a $23k discount?!? I would take that car in a heartbeat. Rare car and probably not another '12+ F out there period (much less for sale), with under 10k miles on it!

V.
Agree. In 2014, I bought a 2008 with only 5700 miles for $38k...their garage queen was their loss and my gain!
Old 05-21-17, 05:26 PM
spacexmase
Rookie

Sorry for thread-jacking but I felt there was no need for another thread.

Today's Update:
I visited a dealership 1 hour away from my house.

Visited a 2012 Star Fire Pearl with 40,000 miles. Listing price was about $47 K so they printed me an invoice for $50.5k out the door.. I offered about 38 K and walked out. H
They were only willing to give me $900 off internet listing price which was $45,900.
They claimed their cost was $40 K.
I told them we were too far apart and went home.

Did I do the right thing? How could have my strategy improved?

Last edited by spacexmase; 05-21-17 at 06:14 PM. Reason: edited the listing price to include the out the door figure
Old 05-21-17, 07:27 PM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^It's not over yet.

My dad negotiated ~15% off MSRP (and got 3m thrown in) on a new Subaru a couple years ago from a dealership (in a city with only two subie dealers) who is notorious for not moving below MSRP. He went there 3 times within a week, and each time the salesman moved a little further towards his price. Just be persistent, the first visit and lowball is a perfect way to start negotiating.

If at all possible it may be advantageous to bring the sales manager into the conversation and have him actually show you the cost on the car. Explain that you're not trying to take money out of their pockets, and tell them you respect the fact they're still in the business to make money. If their cost is *actually* $40k (which I doubt), I would expect them to not go lower than $43 or something. But I bet their cost is less than $40k, they probably hosed someone on a trade in.

Just my 2c.
The following users liked this post:
spacexmase (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 07:28 PM
spacexmase
Rookie

Originally Posted by cjblair
^It's not over yet.

My dad negotiated ~15% off MSRP (and got 3m thrown in) on a new Subaru a couple years ago from a dealership (in a city with only two subie dealers) who is notorious for not moving below MSRP. He went there 3 times within a week, and each time the salesman moved a little further towards his price. Just be persistent, the first visit and lowball is a perfect way to start negotiating.

If at all possible it may be advantageous to bring the sales manager into the conversation and have him actually show you the cost on the car. Explain that you're not trying to take money out of their pockets, and tell them you respect the fact they're still in the business to make money.

Just my 2c.
The sales manager came out 3 times. I was hard-balling. Even the salesman gave me props and said, "You're good."
Old 05-21-17, 07:41 PM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by spacexmase
The sales manager came out 3 times. I was hard-balling. Even the salesman gave me props and said, "You're good."
Good at standing your ground maybe; that doesn't mean good negotiating. You got them to offer you 1% off, he was just trying to kiss your ***.

Try going back once or twice more. Offer them a little bit more money (another 1k? each time). What have you got to lose?
spacexmase (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 08:39 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cjblair
^It's not over yet.

If at all possible it may be advantageous to bring the sales manager into the conversation and have him actually show you the cost on the car. Explain that you're not trying to take money out of their pockets, and tell them you respect the fact they're still in the business to make money. If their cost is *actually* $40k (which I doubt), I would expect them to not go lower than $43 or something. But I bet their cost is less than $40k, they probably hosed someone on a trade in.

Just my 2c.
First visit and lowball is a way to get walked out the door, just as this guy and your dad did, having to come back, and come up on price.

Rare used IS-Fs are a different animal then new Subarus, completely different..... The same tactics will not work at all when dealing with an ISF. Also 15% off MSRP wasn't because your dad negotiated it that way, its because thats what those cars were selling for, and what the dealer had the ability to sell it for... Its because they had trunk money, and willingness to sell the car for that. Had your dad done his research and used the resources out there he would have saved himself a lot of time, only having to visit the store once. What you didn't tell us is how much your dad came UP on his offer each time back? Start at some crazy low number, and eventually pay "15%" off MSRP? Thats not much to brag about, because 15% off MSRP of an average 30K new Subaru is only $4500.00.... thats not what i would call a massive "WIN" off MSRP of a new car, thats pretty much industry average price off MSRP...

Go into a dealership with real empirical data and realistic expectations you'll get the same deal you do playing "hardball"....

It makes ZERO difference what the store's "cost" is.... if they got the ISF for 20K you think they'd sell for 23k? No, they'd still sell it for market value. Market value is how most dealers price cars, it isn't out of thin air typically.
spacexmase (05-21-17)
Old 05-21-17, 08:46 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spacexmase

Salesman says "you're good" good at what? NOT BUYING A ISF?

Love it when someone is proud of getting bounced out of a car dealership, as if you're going to be walking across the street to pick up the other 2012 ISF at the other dealer.... You leave as the manager and salesman, say "what an idiot..."

Give it a break.... be realistic, do your research on what a fair deal is, come in ready to buy, and you'll be very surprised how much better your experience will be, and how much better they'll treat you. Because you can low ball all you want, bark at them, play hardball and stand your ground, doesn't matter.....bottom line is, they'll sell the ISF, to you or someone else, they don't care... no matter how "good" you are at negotiating. Being good at negotiations usually results in a fair deal with a buyer and seller, both party leaves happy, you leave with what you came in to buy, and they leave with their money. Shouldn't be so difficult if you've done your research and know what to expect to pay.
spacexmase (05-21-17)

Quick Reply: Pricing Help on 2012 ISF