IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Remove 02 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 04:00 PM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Remove 02 Sensor

So I recently received my xforce catback, and am looking to install it. I don't mind paying someone to do it, but the couple of shops close by that do good work are booked up for the next couple weeks, so I'm considering doing this myself. I've got a decent amount of experience working on cars/bikes/etc, so I'm not worried about it being difficult.

That being said, the only thing I'm not sure on is removing the 02 sensor(s) from the stock exhaust - I've read that I need a tool for this, and I can't seem to find any ISF-specific DIYs for putting on exhaust/dealing with 02 sensors.

Looking for any input on tips and tricks/steps/which sensor tool to get. (and yes, I used the search function, but couldn't find anything in our section of the forum).

TIA!
Old 05-09-17, 04:26 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I think you're looking for one of these:
Amazon Amazon

I don't have any experience with them, but 7/8" appears to be a generic size for this type of socket.. You can probably contact Sikky for confirmation based on the video they recently shared.

-Mike
Old 05-09-17, 04:45 PM
ISnewb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to autozone and borrow the tool. You just need to put a deposit and refurn within 30 days.
Old 05-10-17, 12:06 AM
j3ff
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Like others have said, there's a universal socket you use for o2's. When you're reinstalling, be sure to pre-twist the sensor so that the wires don't get all twisted as you're turning in. That's probably the only tip to know.
Old 05-10-17, 01:21 AM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

They can be very tight so make sure you have the right O2 socket the cheap ones flair open and damage the flats, a little heat can work yes and make sure the wires are not twisted.^^^^
Old 05-10-17, 05:18 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
I think you're looking for one of these: https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Oxygen-Se...Z1DDPN99GDC64H
Those are the best, but don't work due to the stupid shield that's around our o2 sensors. Thus I went to Harbor Freight and purchased the extended socket with the slit cut in the side of it. This https://www.harborfreight.com/78-in-...ket-69022.html

Which also didn't work lol. It's too long, thus you have to drop the pipe, which isn't a huge deal. However it's too flimsy and with how tight my o2 sensors were, it was rounding off the threads. The socket just spreads open under heavy torque. And yes I soaked the o2 in penetrate. So it's not a guarantee, but could work for you.

I ended up just unplugging the sensors so I could drop the pipe, cut the stupid shields off, and used my Mac crows foot and broke em free with ease.
Old 05-12-17, 06:31 AM
BLKLBL
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cjblair
So I recently received my xforce catback, and am looking to install it. I don't mind paying someone to do it, but the couple of shops close by that do good work are booked up for the next couple weeks, so I'm considering doing this myself. I've got a decent amount of experience working on cars/bikes/etc, so I'm not worried about it being difficult.

That being said, the only thing I'm not sure on is removing the 02 sensor(s) from the stock exhaust - I've read that I need a tool for this, and I can't seem to find any ISF-specific DIYs for putting on exhaust/dealing with 02 sensors.

Looking for any input on tips and tricks/steps/which sensor tool to get. (and yes, I used the search function, but couldn't find anything in our section of the forum).

TIA!
Was your car winter driven at all? I installed a Borla on mine about 2 years ago, so at the time it was around 7 years old, with about 75,000kms on it. I got the car from Calgary, and it was driven in the winter occasionally.
The O2 sensors in the stock exhaust would NOT come out. I bought an O2 tool set from Princess auto for around $60, and the sensors still wouldnt budge. Then I disconnected the wiring, and removed the stock exhaust with the sensors still installed.. tried to get them out while on the bench.. still no dice. used heat, no dice. cut off the shield and tried to use a pipe wrench with a 4 foot snipe.. no dice.. The stock exhaust is now stored in the loft with the stock O2's still installed.
I ended up having to order 2 new "denso" OEM brand sensors from Rockauto.com for about half what the dealer wanted, and installed those in the new Borla.
- I would recommend getting new sensors before you start.
Old 05-12-17, 08:10 AM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

That sucks. Because realistically those sensors are useless. Especially since you eliminate two of the cats when you install an exhaust. I already got a PO420 catalyst below threshold code due to it, and just cleared it with my handheld scan tool. So that would suck to have to buy a new pair considering their job is futile.

Essentially those sensors are just in place to plug a hole now, especially once you go catless headers. I'll just have them coded out when I get a tune at some point.