GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tips on changing an O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 07:46 PM
reezekeys
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on changing an O2 sensor

I have a recent thread here asking for assistance with my issue of trying to clear some codes. No replies, I think I asked a bit too many questions, so this one is very specific. I would like to replace the downstream Bank 1 O2 sensor in my 2001 GS300. I'm less than a weekend mechanic so I am a little nervous about this.

I'm expecting it to be tough to remove. I have a breaker bar and I'm curious as to whether I would be wise to get this:
Amazon Amazon

Does it help the removal process if the car is just turned off & the exhaust parts are hot (I know I'll need to be careful)? Or should I coat the sensor with penetrating oil & let the car sit overnight?

I'm considering
this sensor this sensor
which is an unknown (to me) brand, but about 1/2 the price of the Denso. I'm looking to pass an inspection soon so as long as it works for at least a month I'll be happy – unless someone tells me that it has a role in adjusting the mixture and can actually impact the performance of my car or harm the engine. I always thought these downstream sensors only served to trigger the CEL and were not involved in anything else. Many thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-06-19, 08:18 PM
Shagnasty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would replace both sensors on Bank 1. That socket works good. Use plenty of pb blaster also. Soak it. I always had good luck with Denso 02 sensors. Others failed within a year. Only a few bucks more on Rock Auto. Good luck. It’s easy. Just take your time and watch a YouTube video. Check the sticky’s. Might be a how to with pics.
The following users liked this post:
reezekeys (01-09-19)
Old 01-07-19, 08:06 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

The O2 sensor controls the fuel mix in your car so if it fails it'll run richer and your fuel economy will suffer. I would spend the extra few dollars and get the Denso. Also buy the O2 sensor socket and it will make the job easier
Old 01-07-19, 08:16 AM
reezekeys
Rookie

Thanks Shagnasty! I appreciate the tips. I also found this thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...placement.html

I'm getting two codes, PO136 and PO141, both are for bank 1, sensor 2. No codes for the upstream bank 1 or either of the bank 2 sensors. That leads me to believe it's one bad sensor. I hear ya on the Densos, I guess I should do it, but in all honesty I don't see myself owning this car another 6-8 months. I spent $4K on repairs in 2018 and I'm pretty much done - just want to pass inspection so I can drive it a little longer. When my daughter graduates high school and I don't have to drive 100 miles/day to get her to & from school (don't ask!), the plan is to lease a new car!! I love my GS300, it's the best car I ever owned and I'm gonna miss it a lot but it's a 2001 with over 230K, with 100K on the current timing belt, some rust, and a noisy strut. Time to let it go I think.

Last edited by reezekeys; 01-07-19 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-07-19, 08:22 AM
reezekeys
Rookie

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
The O2 sensor controls the fuel mix in your car so if it fails it'll run richer and your fuel economy will suffer. I would spend the extra few dollars and get the Denso. Also buy the O2 sensor socket and it will make the job easier
Thanks. I always thought the downtream sensor did not affect the mixture, I guess I was wrong then. FWIW the engine is purring like a kitten although I haven't calculated my fuel economy recently. I'll definitely get that socket.
Old 01-07-19, 09:32 AM
reezekeys
Rookie

Wow, I'm a little confused now. Two threads here with seemingly different info. The one I referenced in a post above shows the location of bank 1 sensor 2 as under the car:

Now I find another thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...l#&gid=1&pid=1

This one has a picture of "bank 1 sensor 2" sensor, it appears to be in the engine compartment. I know this is is for a 2000 GS300 and I have a 2001 - are they not the same (G2)?

Old 01-07-19, 11:30 AM
captainva
Instructor

This is from the service manual

Old 01-07-19, 12:58 PM
reezekeys
Rookie

OK, so what is the item in my first (smaller) pic in post #6 above? It looks like what I'm pointing to in the pic you posted:

The thread I got that picture from claims this is the bank 1 sensor 2 sensor – however it's not identified at all in the diagram from the service manual you posted, while other components are shown as being the sensors. Color me very confused.
Old 01-07-19, 01:15 PM
captainva
Instructor

The sensor under the car is Bank 2 sensor 2 since there are only 4 O2 sensors on the car. If you're having issues with bank 1 you shouldn't have to touch that one

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...acement-2.html
reezekeys (01-09-19)
Old 01-07-19, 01:30 PM
reezekeys
Rookie

AHHH, yes, my mistake. That's Bank 2. Thanks! That's good news, the under-car sensor is a little harder to replace – you have to expose the floorboard.

Now I'm just hoping for the weather to warm up here in the northeast!
Old 01-07-19, 07:10 PM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Here are some PDF that will help you. It shows you how to inspect the O2 Sensors to see if it's still good or not. Also torque specs and all that good stuff. The tool you showed on amazon works really great with a breaker bar and some muscle. You can rent that tool also at an auto part store if you need it right away. Good luck.

Originally Posted by reezekeys
I have a recent thread here asking for assistance with my issue of trying to clear some codes. No replies, I think I asked a bit too many questions, so this one is very specific. I would like to replace the downstream Bank 1 O2 sensor in my 2001 GS300. I'm less than a weekend mechanic so I am a little nervous about this.

I'm expecting it to be tough to remove. I have a breaker bar and I'm curious as to whether I would be wise to get this: https://www.amazon.com/ARES-70039-8-.../dp/B01C4OB3XC

Does it help the removal process if the car is just turned off & the exhaust parts are hot (I know I'll need to be careful)? Or should I coat the sensor with penetrating oil & let the car sit overnight?

I'm considering this sensor which is an unknown (to me) brand, but about 1/2 the price of the Denso. I'm looking to pass an inspection soon so as long as it works for at least a month I'll be happy – unless someone tells me that it has a role in adjusting the mixture and can actually impact the performance of my car or harm the engine. I always thought these downstream sensors only served to trigger the CEL and were not involved in anything else. Many thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
P0161 inspection.pdf (66.7 KB, 105 views)
File Type: pdf
P0161 Location.pdf (252.4 KB, 145 views)
reezekeys (01-09-19)
Old 01-09-19, 07:39 AM
reezekeys
Rookie

Tuanville, thanks a lot for those PDFs. Looks like my sensor is a little further back in the engine compartment – hoping it's not too much of a bear to get that sensor socket and breaker bar in there (still waiting on the socket to be delivered). Regarding those torque specs – I don't have a torque wrench. Should I assume that I need to torque this down to "tight but not thread-stripping tight"?
Old 01-09-19, 11:55 AM
captainva
Instructor

Yeah you don't need a torque wrench. Just make it a tiny bit beyond snug. You just need it to stay in and not leak. Try using two fingers towards the end of your wrench and make it tight. Then its really hard to overtighten since your fingers lose strength before it can strip
reezekeys (01-10-19)
Old 01-10-19, 06:15 PM
natman
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

You definitely have to use a special socket. I prefer a socket like this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-10-19, 10:34 PM
shwalker07
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Bank 1 is the exhaust side where the first ignition firing cylinder is located (for future reference). I also use a socket like natman recommended which I have used on all 4 o2 sensors. I got my socket at AutoZone and was the OEM tool brand.

Quick Reply: Tips on changing an O2 sensor