IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Exhaust "POP"

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-17, 07:14 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exhaust "POP"

My newly purchased F has an RR Racing Bazooka installed. (A few thousand miles on it now). The sound it produces is nothing short of menacing, especially when I coast in manual mode and the car lets out a loud bang. Sometimes it's the decibel, (I'm guessing here), of a .22 and sometimes it's as loud as a shotgun. I love the sound, but want to be sure it's not caused by a potentially serious issue, (running lean).

To me, it feels like it's due to the back-pressure generated by the exhaust, as when the pop happens, the car lunges forward slightly and the deceleration slows a bit. Is this bad or is it harmless? The car is not throwing any codes.

I've read that it's common thing to happen on a car with a free-flowing exhaust, especially a catless one, and a lack of back-pressure. Thoughts?
Old 04-14-17, 07:40 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

I've got gutted cats and Joe Z exhaust... my car has a nice pop to it at times, like when I let off the gas, coast, then get back on the gas. I LOVE it

My car even did it when I had cats & oem exhaust with muffler delete, so I would not think anything of it. The 3 other IS-F's that were local to me get the same noise in the same conditions.
Old 04-14-17, 07:46 AM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Me too on my xforce. Sometimes it sounds like it comes from bottom of car - not rear. Might be exhaust leak.
Old 04-14-17, 07:56 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 260 Likes on 158 Posts

Mine does it just with my stock borla catback. It doesn't happen every single time our loudly, but letting off the accelerator and letting the back pressure build up, every now and then it'll make a light pop and not decelerate as quickly. Would love for it to be louder/gnarlier but I don't want aftermarket headers and the bazooka seems too loud as well. I think your "issue" is normal
Old 04-14-17, 08:04 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Glad to hear that. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 04-14-17, 08:21 AM
mahcah
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I wish I can have it happen consistently. It makes a really loud pop especially after I run the car hard.

Borla with muffler delete.
Old 04-14-17, 08:45 AM
cjblair
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any of the bazooka owners here care to post a vid? I'm thinking about getting one, and would like to see another sound clip or two - there's not too many on youtube.
Old 04-14-17, 11:42 AM
prosem
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah me too. Like zmcgovern said. I just have a muffler delete with OEM exhaust and cats and get regular pops in 2nd and 3rd coming to a stop. The other day I had one really loud one in second. Turned a couple heads. Love the sound!
Old 04-14-17, 12:35 PM
Fivepoint0
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its even more noticeable with the bazooka
bazooka is loud on cold start but little drone,
Old 04-14-17, 02:00 PM
MpKSonic
Driver

Originally Posted by cjblair
Any of the bazooka owners here care to post a vid? I'm thinking about getting one, and would like to see another sound clip or two - there's not too many on youtube.
I can try sometime.
Old 04-14-17, 04:09 PM
davidcausa
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

can confirm, my bazooka has a beautiful pop to it
Old 04-14-17, 04:23 PM
FFM
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

It's just built up hydrocarbons from the slight delay in fuel cut upon decel. There's even overrun tunes available for the E9x M3's that purposely just puke out the tailpipe upon decel and pop fart bang all over the place. Catless will cause this substantially more even on a factory tune.
Old 04-14-17, 05:23 PM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^^^ same thing the jaguar F Type R does to make these pops
love the sound especially on that new svr with its titanium exhaust
Old 04-15-17, 04:22 AM
SlowXIsf
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does the same when I let off the gas in 3rd gear while in manual with sport mode on. When the rpms drop around 2-3k rpms my afr's gets down to 12.1-12.5 (kinda rich) and makes a loud pop. Unfortunately it only backfire once lol. My setup is gutted manifold and pretty much straight pipe true dual with x-pipe, has small resonators but its pretty much free flowing.
Old 04-15-17, 04:28 AM
rselby
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlowXIsf
Mine does the same when I let off the gas in 3rd gear while in manual with sport mode on. When the rpms drop around 2-3k rpms my afr's gets down to 12.1-12.5 (kinda rich) and makes a loud pop. Unfortunately it only backfire once lol. My setup is gutted manifold and pretty much straight pipe true dual with x-pipe, has small resonators but its pretty much free flowing.
mine does the same exact thing....seems to only be in 3rd gear in maunal+ sport under decel between 3 -2 k rpm

Quick Reply: Exhaust "POP"