IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Possible Bad Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-16, 07:38 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Possible Bad Wheel Bearing

Sorry if this has been asked multiple times, but I thought I'd bring this out here.

Ever since I've purchased my car used, it has had this sound normally audible when in manual sport mode low rpm through gears 1-2-3 doesnt happen in a hot day, but in a cold night around 40s 50s There is a cricket like sound that chirps, not loud, but you can notice it more in stop and go traffic while manually shifting in low rpms per say 1-3k rpms. It doesnt happen all the time either, definitely not in the mornings at all, it happens at night when its colder..

I originally thought nothing of this as it didnt affect anything to the car, however as time progressed and still after driving my car more and more I figure I throw this out there.

I really dont want to take it to the dealer again, has anyone ran into this cricket noise issue? If so what was the culprit?
Old 01-26-16, 08:24 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by k20trick
Sorry if this has been asked multiple times, but I thought I'd bring this out here.

Ever since I've purchased my car used, it has had this sound normally audible when in manual sport mode low rpm through gears 1-2-3 doesnt happen in a hot day, but in a cold night around 40s 50s There is a cricket like sound that chirps, not loud, but you can notice it more in stop and go traffic while manually shifting in low rpms per say 1-3k rpms. It doesnt happen all the time either, definitely not in the mornings at all, it happens at night when its colder..

I originally thought nothing of this as it didnt affect anything to the car, however as time progressed and still after driving my car more and more I figure I throw this out there.

I really dont want to take it to the dealer again, has anyone ran into this cricket noise issue? If so what was the culprit?
More likely it's the serpentine tensioner chirping or the belt is glazing over........The wheel bearing will give you feedback through the steering wheel and will be more of a grinding and usually only on turns away from top dead center......Temperature change for sure leads to the rubber compound of the belt reacting with the tensioner....IMO

Digger08
Old 01-26-16, 08:29 PM
k20trick
Instructor

Originally Posted by digger08
More likely it's the serpentine tensioner chirping or the belt is glazing over........The wheel bearing will give you feedback through the steering wheel and will be more of a grinding and usually only on turns away from top dead center......Temperature change for sure leads to the rubber compound of the belt reacting with the tensioner....IMO

Digger08

Good advice thank you... That would be another thing to look at I guess... I was thinking the cooling fan bolts may have come loose Ill check that tomorrow. as welll...

Im sure I would've felt or known it was something wrong with the bearing or even drive train...
Old 01-27-16, 11:26 AM
calteg
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Wheel bearing wouldn't be affected by temperature either. The dead giveaway for wheel bearings is that the frequency of the noise increases as you speed up
Old 01-27-16, 02:17 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

That sounds like the belt slip noise that many of us have. It is usually apparent in High RPM shifts..especially in a tunnel or underpass.

I think the conclusion was that the sound is very common...if not normal.
Old 01-27-16, 06:59 PM
k20trick
Instructor

checked the tensioner and fan bolts looks like they did the recall on bolts on mine, the tensioner looked good from outside, the belt didnt have any abnormal wear but it did look old possibly due to the miles, will probably change the belt out this weekend to see if it changes anything. Today was 70s and I didnt hear any of the crickets, rather heard my brakes more than anything...