IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Is this noise normal? I don't remember normal.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-17, 01:03 AM
TinaTina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this noise normal? I don't remember normal.

Hi guys! So about a year ago I was finally able to get the rear wheel bearings replaced on my 05. The low hum coming from the back end had gone from loud to louder through time and (due to hard times) it had been like that for so long that I seriously can't remember how quiet or loud my car used to be or what noises are simply normal noises. I know its important to know whats normal, but unfortunately I just don't. Does anyone have an 05 I can borrow for a minute for comparison purposes? Yeah.. I didn't think so. It definitely would be nice to know how it should feel and sound or even better, how it could feel and sound. Know what I'm mean jelly bean? Anyway, a few months after the wheel bearings were replaced I learned I didnt need to blast my stereo anymore lol and thats when I started hearing a whinny noise that could only be heard when sitting inside the car. It was hard to tell exactly where it was coming from but it was somewhere below the middle of the car in between the front and rear seats. I think the noise came and went but maybe it was just louder at times? I don't know but at some point the maintenance light came on so I borrowed an OBD reader and found out that it was the fuel pump relay. Or at least that was the code I got back. So a friend of mine replaced it for me.
Long story short the noise is back now however I get no codes from the OBD. I haven't been driving my car much this past year so I guess it could be that the noise never completely went away. So was the relay bad but not the source of the noise? If thats the case then wtf is this darn noise?? Another thing that may or may not be related is that there have been a few times when, just after starting my car Ive hopped out for a second and could smell fuel. Is that normal? So these are the things Im currently trying to figure out. Any ideas guys?

Thanks!

Last edited by TinaTina; 07-16-17 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Mostly grammar corrections