IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Flat black exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-13, 04:24 PM
Sean
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat black exhaust tips?

What do you guys think about matte black exhaust tips?

Story: I finally got around to having a CF wrap done on the lower part of the rear bumper to complete the s4play + CF wrap combo. My installer was a little weary on the curvature and tightness of the area around the exhaust tips so I offered to remove them for the job. I figured why not have them refinished why they are off?

I ended up deciding to go high temp paint gloss black (à la Defratos) and took them over to a shop that has done paint work for me before. He called me later that day to let me know they were done but told me he couldn't do gloss black so he just did flat black. I wasn't too keen on the look so he didn't charge me, although I wish he would have called before painting them in a way I didn't request.

So now I'm trying to decide to use the flat black or redo them again. I've tried finding another shop already but my options are pretty limited and I haven't found one wanting to do such a small simple job. I figure my options are:
  1. Stick with the flat black tips. This would be the easiest...
  2. Repaint them myself. I'm just not too confident on my painting abilities. I'm also not sure if I should remove the paint currently on them before proceeding.
  3. Have them powdercoated. There is a shop close by that should be able to do this. I haven't had a chance to talk to them yet and won't until Tuesday.
  4. Experiment with CF hydrographics. There is a shop close by willing to do this. I already talked to them and they believe the heat shouldn't be an issue as long as there is a high temp primer or base coat. It would probably come out looking close to the CF tips that were being sold at one point. I thought about this originally, but initially decided against it in favor of gloss black since it seemed like the wrap plus this would just be too much fake
    CF.

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are since I can't decide what to do!
Old 08-31-13, 05:10 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote for CF. I have seen black tips, and IMO they look cheap to me. I like seeing those shiny ovals.
Old 08-31-13, 07:05 PM
Reaper21
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my tips powdercoated flat black, I think they look great. Not cheap at all. The new Porsche Cayenne GTS and BMW 550i M Sport have flat black tips from the factory.
Old 08-31-13, 09:31 PM
Boma
Lead Lap

A couple layers of plastidip and glossifier will give a durable, gloss black look. It will resist rock chips and won't fade from the heat of the exhaust. If the look doesn't do it for you just peel it off. A can of plastidip and glossifier shouldn't be more than $16 total from your local Walmart. It's worth a try.
Old 08-31-13, 10:13 PM
chrisp1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the matte black looks a little tacky so i vote carbon fiber
Old 08-31-13, 11:48 PM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Initially I too wanted CF tips but from what I've found out you can't buy them anymore.

Also members were saying the CF changes color after a while, which I wasn't too keen on either.

Snea, if you're really stuck and want them re-painted check with Mike the Powder Coater, just google him and send him an E-mail, he may be able to help you out.
Old 09-01-13, 03:33 AM
kbtoiz
Pole Position

Been looking into hydrographics too. So go with it and let us know how it goes
Old 09-01-13, 03:33 AM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I had mine plastidipped for awhile and they looked pretty good.

I wish there was a way to powder coat the tips to give it a Ti-burnt look, like the Lems replacement tips
Old 09-01-13, 08:44 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

I probably should have gave plastidip a try originally. I have the black dip and glossifier sitting in my garage... But now that they are already painted I'd rather go through with something permanent. I'm also not sure how easy it will peel off the matte finish if I don't like it (it isn't smooth to the touch.) Also, I always have problems getting plastidip to dry smooth and evenly. It always has that texture to it (supposedly it doesn't dry as well in high humidity) Still, it's something I'll keep in mind.

I guess the other downside of the hydrographics is I'd be the guinea pig. I can't find any example of a similar application. I think it is a nice idea, I just don't like the uncertainty of how it would turn out.

Right now, I'm leaning towards powdercoating but won't know for sure until I can talk to the shop on Tuesday.

I'll post some pics in a bit of what they currently look like.
Old 09-01-13, 10:00 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

Here they are before and after. They weren't sanded or anything before painting and I noticed it comes off the tips quite easily.

Old 09-01-13, 10:01 PM
ISF11WTF
Rookie

Powder coat is the best way to go.

Flat black exhaust tips?-isf-tip.jpg
Old 09-02-13, 03:17 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

wow that looks good... nice touch to the IS-F
Old 09-02-13, 04:48 AM
Defratos
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Agree with ISF11WTF:

Old 09-02-13, 06:39 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flat is tacky. WTF has it right, gloss
Old 09-02-13, 07:21 AM
Sean
Lead Lap

That is exactly what I was going for. I do think flat black would look good on some cars, it just doesn't seem to fit the IS-F, especially on a MRM.

Defratos: For some reason I was under the impression yours weren't powdercoated, but were painted, which is why I initially went that route.

I'll talk to the local powdercoating shop tomorrow. Hopefully they can hook me up quickly so my car can once again be whole.

Quick Reply: Flat black exhaust tips?