IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Sikky header clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13, 10:09 AM
SikkyMFG
Former Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonISF
So your suggesting bending the header tubing then? Won't that damage the ceramic coating?

Just curious, I had some fitment issues also.
No it wont damage the coating on these. You wouldn't be bending it anywhere near far enough to cause that. Its roughly a 1/4" or so that you would be moving them. Just enough to tweak them and get some separation from the frame rail. If you've done the install or seen first hand then you how snug everything is in these cars. Thanks!
Old 05-24-13, 10:47 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SikkyMFG
Hey guys. I just told VegasISF this in an email too, but I don't think massage is a term I would use to describe what you can do to clearance the headers. It's a little more than that. Being that there's about an 1/8" of tolerance between the headers and the frame rail, rubbing issues can sometimes arise. Techs in past have clearanced this accordingly in these situations. They'll get up in there with a pry bar and apply the necessary pressure to do so. Now if you'd rather not do this, aren't able to do this, it doesn't work for your car etc etc, then we of course warranty our products for manufacturing defects (since they technically shouldn't rub) and can get this going for you. Most customers just prefer to go with this option first since it doesn't take much time to at least give it a try. Hopefully I was able to help clarify that info. And please reach out to me if you continue to have issues or need anything else (sales@sikky.com). We 100% stand behind our products and will do what it takes to keep our customers satisfied. Thanks!

-Justin
Sikky MFG
Which side if the frame rail are you talking about? Can you please be more detailed on what to do? Please add pics if you have them.
Old 05-24-13, 04:40 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by VegasISF
i just installed my sikky headers last week and i have huge rubbing issue with the passenger side header. I get the rubbing/vibration especially when turning to the left under acceleration. Sikky told me to try and "massage" the header to fix the problem. I come back with an update once ive tried it. Hopefully it fixes it.
This may or may not help your situation as I believe you still have the stock exhaust or the Borla installed by now, but I had this same exact issue that you described. Left turns were horrible when I first had the SIKKY headers installed. My car however was a test car being that it was the second IS-F ever to have headers on it and we spent a considerable amount of time investigating.

At first I thought the header and heat shield bolt as shown below were the source of the noise. Well that was not the source as those parts don't move separately and are a fixed unit.

As the noise only showed it's ugly head when cornering and knowing that the headers are fixed in position and do NOT move we knew the source of the problem had to be further down. Sure enough in order to get the JOEZ flange at the right angle during install the exhaust sits slightly further forward to seal properly. (this is why you see some folks doubling up on gaskets) It turned out the bracket (location identified in picture below) had to be grinded down on the ends. This significantly helped, but we ultimately had to "massage" the JoeZ exhaust (last picture below) as well at the point of contact and it was trouble free ever since. When the car twists or torques the exhaust was making contact with the bracket. The Borla exhaust however was never an issue with the header setup because the Borla exhaust is designed to curve out around the trouble bracket allowing for more clearance than the JOEZ exhaust did. (See SIKKY/Borla pic below)

JOEZ

SIKKY/Borla Combo

JOEZ exhaust fix (notice the indention made on the one side

Last edited by caymandive; 05-24-13 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-24-13, 07:16 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

^ Thanks for posting this Cayman. I have Borlas installed on my F ( not Joe Z) and I am experiencing exactly what Vegas has described which is the LEFT TURN rubbing under medium/heavy throttle. Anyways, I will still have the shop check on what you marked and described in the pics regardless.
Old 05-25-13, 03:16 PM
gwagon63
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had this same problem for awhile now to my car shakes wen im stopped and wen i turn right almost no sound and left is a lighter sound