IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2014 F vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-12, 07:34 PM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by staman
When I said the F's transmission was a joke I was referring to its ability to put power to the ground. Its miserable. Not to mention the 8 speed......
I'd imagine if they did a 6 speed, they would have been near or in gas guzzler tax land. The car seems to run the right 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for its power and weight, so you may be a little hard on the trans when it comes to "putting power to the ground".
Old 05-27-12, 08:27 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
You know what you should click a "Like" on.....how about a registry page dedicated to all model year R35 GT-R with transmission problems (started in March of this year, yet watch how quickly the list grows):

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index....lure-registry/
Um ok and my personal opinion is still GT-R > IS-F
Old 05-27-12, 08:46 PM
jchong
Driver

When I said the F's transmission was a joke I was referring to its ability to put power to the ground. Its miserable. Not to mention the 8 speed......
....What part of its ability is not able to put the "power to the ground"... And those 8 speeds are terrible!! That must be why they are popping up in more and more cars everyday.
Old 05-28-12, 08:07 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jchong
....What part of its ability is not able to put the "power to the ground"... And those 8 speeds are terrible!! That must be why they are popping up in more and more cars everyday.
If you want a flashy grocery getter than can dust an occasional BMW 335i than that trans is awesome. If you want to win in the quarter mile you'll NEVER do it with that tranny. The second you put more than 500 wheel horse on that trans its game over. Everybody knows it. ...
Old 05-28-12, 10:17 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

If you want a flashy grocery getter than can dust an occasional BMW 335i than that trans is awesome. If you want to win in the quarter mile you'll NEVER do it with that tranny. The second you put more than 500 wheel horse on that trans its game over. Everybody knows it. ...
IS-F tranny is not for 1/4 mile run. Its best suited on the track. Its build as a track car like the M3 not 1/4. You can have your muscle car run 10 sec on a 1/4 mile, but cant turn for ****. ISF is a good car on the street and also for the track. Every haters I know dont know nothing about cars. Cant even drive for ****. When you get a GTR some gonna hate why didnt you just get a R8 for a little more or a use lambo. GTR is still a Nissan. A lot of people now dont have passion and even skills to drive their car. Just have money to buy it. So they cant talk **** to other cars.
Old 05-28-12, 11:26 AM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

You just described every factory transmission out there. You are talking about handling more than 40% more power than stock, which is huge.
Old 05-28-12, 12:21 PM
darbs242
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Im not saying I do but when you have enough money to do what you want too you don't need to explain your choices to anyone. So if you want a GTR, get one...
Old 05-28-12, 01:24 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,059 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mrd916
Just wanted to see people's opinions on whether they would rather buy the new F if and when it comes out in 2014 or buy a used 09 or 10 GTR that would prob be at least $10 or $15k cheaper by then. I think i would rather trade my F for a pre-owned GTR in 2 yrs or so unless the new F is just out of this world amazing. I think once pre-owned GTRs become available in the sub $50k range a lot of us will be going that route.
To answer this post directly... (ignoring all other off topic post in here)

I would buy a brand new car over anyone else's used car any day of the week...

The 2014 Lexus IS-F will be a whole lot more reliable than a 4-5 year old car.. That's just a plan fact at this point.

This is just my opinion regarding new cars vs used cars...

~ Joe Z
Old 05-28-12, 03:06 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Joe Z has spoken...end thread jk
Old 05-28-12, 03:25 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
To answer this post directly... (ignoring all other off topic post in here)

I would buy a brand new car over anyone else's used car any day of the week...

The 2014 Lexus IS-F will be a whole lot more reliable than a 4-5 year old car.. That's just a plan fact at this point.

This is just my opinion regarding new cars vs used cars...

~ Joe Z
I understand your point and it's well taken!

However I think only "certain" cars can be bought used IMO, the GTR is not one of them unless you really trust the previous owner(s).

The NSX is a great car and no one can buy a new one anymore so you have limited choices for example. The MKIV Supra is another car.

I would buy the IS-F used but would really have to get the GTR examined to be comfortable buying used.

2014 IS-F or 09 GTR? I would say the IS-F but if he was comparing the 2013 GTR, then it's a no brainer. Why not wait for the new GS-F then?
Old 05-28-12, 05:10 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Time to unsubscribe to this never ending thread.
Old 05-28-12, 07:50 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's funny, because...."the second Nissan put 500HP STOCK on the GT-R's tranny", it was/is game over....and the second a tuner "puts more than 500HP on the GT-R's tranny", not even Iron Man's Arc Reactor will help you get the transmission gear shrapnel out of your chest.

...everybody knows it.
Old 05-29-12, 05:18 PM
staman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MMCRacing
You just described every factory transmission out there. You are talking about handling more than 40% more power than stock, which is huge.
The F is billed as a race car not as your everyday DD like an is250. Oh and for a track car the thing is WAY overweight..... I guess I'm biased as i just traded up for a GTR. The reason I did in the end is because the F is lost somewhere in between a race car and a sports sedan. The GTR is a pure race car with no compromises. For some reason Lexus seems to think that they can sell you a "race" car but then tell you "don't ever take it to the track" or its considered "abuse" Finally I got so sick and tired of having to educate the Lexus shop Foreman at Lexus on the Park. Again, if you have a 250/350 they're great and they know exactly what they're talking about. With the F its a completely different story..I had a 35-40 minute argument with him about the whole re-aligning the subframe to correct the drift. First he told me the F didnt have a drift problem. Then he told me the subframe on an F cant be adjusted, and lastly he informed me I had no clue what I was talking about.
I walked away in disgust. Nissan actually has GTR mechanics and they're the only guys that work on my car. And they educate me NOT the other way around..
Old 05-29-12, 05:20 PM
staman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexIS007
That's funny, because...."the second Nissan put 500HP STOCK on the GT-R's tranny", it was/is game over....and the second a tuner "puts more than 500HP on the GT-R's tranny", not even Iron Man's Arc Reactor will help you get the transmission gear shrapnel out of your chest.

...everybody knows it.
Good luck rebuilding your Lexus tranny...
Old 05-29-12, 06:48 PM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

The F is billed as a race car not as your everyday DD like an is250. Oh and for a track car the thing is WAY overweight..... I guess I'm biased as i just traded up for a GTR. The reason I did in the end is because the F is lost somewhere in between a race car and a sports sedan. The GTR is a pure race car with no compromises. For some reason Lexus seems to think that they can sell you a "race" car but then tell you "don't ever take it to the track" or its considered "abuse" Finally I got so sick and tired of having to educate the Lexus shop Foreman at Lexus on the Park. Again, if you have a 250/350 they're great and they know exactly what they're talking about. With the F its a completely different story..I had a 35-40 minute argument with him about the whole re-aligning the subframe to correct the drift. First he told me the F didnt have a drift problem. Then he told me the subframe on an F cant be adjusted, and lastly he informed me I had no clue what I was talking about.
I walked away in disgust. Nissan actually has GTR mechanics and they're the only guys that work on my car. And they educate me NOT the other way around..
I guess what I said was completely lost on you. The GT-R transmission will not handle 40% more power over stock either without upgrades.

As to your dealer problem, you sold your car because you were too lazy to seek out a more qualified dealer? When I bought my GT-R - and this was 2008 only a few months after they hit - I interviewed all the local dealers and their one GT-R mechanic. I found only 3 of the 5 really had the knowledge and overall background to earn my business. I bet Lexus dealers are no different.

Quick Reply: 2014 F vs GTR