IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2014 F vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-12, 06:41 PM
qsz06
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get both , GTR does nothing for me . I do have a modded Z06 for my play toy though !
Old 05-24-12, 07:24 PM
Dv8tion388
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanGTS
Is this thread really happening? Are people again comparing an ISF to a GTR?

Thats like me comparing my Celica to the GT500. I dont get it.

I think it's a fair comparison, not vs. each other, but at their respective price points when compared to their rivals.

Both do what they do very well at an affordable, price and are also reliable when compared to their respective rivals.

For the F it's the M3 & for the GTR it's the Vette/Porsche.

~Dv8
Old 05-24-12, 08:06 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
I wouldn't get a GTR over my ISF, I'd get it next to my ISF!
Well put!!!

I've said this before on a few threads....the current GT-R is not what the previous gens use to be. Yeah you can throw down 1300HP on the new GT-R, but at the same time....expect to dish out over $30k to keep the damn thing from blowing up! I think everyone still has the R34 mentality of, "1000HP on a stock bottom-end..." Not gonna happen on the R35's. They suffer a great deal of mechanical issue (bone-stock and modified). I agree, the idea of the GT-R is there....and has caught the attention of many around the world....but, knowing Nissan (post-Renault) reliability, you better have some deep pockets or a damn good attorney before stepping foot into a GT-R (new or used). Personally, I would be fine with a "fast-enough" car like the ISF, M3, C63, etc... over a GT-R because a) you know your in a fine luxury vehicle, b) you know it will last you at least long enough to pay it off before it craps out on you, and c) your in a Lexus, BMW, Mercedes....not a Nissan.

Anyhow, what do I know....i am just a computer programmer...
Old 05-24-12, 08:09 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I can not compare a car I have not seen or driven..this is very hypothetical.
Old 05-24-12, 08:22 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I would get GT-R if I had to choose.
Old 05-24-12, 08:25 PM
VtotheJ
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would not be willing to take a risk on a used GTR due to the problems I've heard... even a 2012 went into limp mode without the guy ever launching or tracking it. I'd keep my 08 F and get something else besides a GTR... maybe a 997 Turbo
Old 05-24-12, 08:57 PM
Mrd916
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never really researched the GTR reliability, I have owned 2 early 90s twin turbo Zs and a 350Z and never had any reliability issues so I figured the GTR was gonna be a good reliable typical Nissan. Thanks for all the info from u guys, I think I will be sticking with the F when the new one comes out
Old 05-25-12, 01:37 AM
smartbomb
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both and they are completely different cars, you can't compare them, not even close.
Old 05-25-12, 05:07 AM
pierre2k5
Driver School Candidate

If I can keep my current IS-F I would because I love the hell out of it. But I love the GT-R more. So eventually I'll be trading it for a new GT-R. Not the old one.

Last edited by pierre2k5; 05-25-12 at 11:34 AM. Reason: mispell
Old 05-25-12, 05:34 AM
FD3SISF
Lead Lap

I was thinking also on getting a 08 GTR, but decided to go with the ISF. Due to the relaiability issues with the GTR. I know GTR is a monster for its price and can pompete with cars twice its price. I love my ISF and never regret getting it over the GTR. I have luxury for DD and power when I need it. Also cant beat Lexus for reliability.
Old 05-25-12, 06:21 AM
sleepyray
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GTR has always been my dream car since I was a kid lol
For me, I will probably keep my F and hopefully someday somehow I can get my head on a mint R34 V-Spec II
Old 05-25-12, 06:56 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Personally I did not like the car design, and interior is too cheap. Will get another ISF if needed. I mean we all have fast enough cars. How many really push the cars to the limit? Even after making a car 10 sec car it takes lot of money to keep it a 10 sec car. This is my experience talking. So for me I now keep mine stock and enjoy the beast.
Old 05-25-12, 07:12 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

The GTR is a true beast, but after 08, the price just catapulted. Reliability is not good nor bad, but from hearing some of my buddies who run them, they do say non-interval maintenance, such as the fuel pump and the transmission, were covered under warranty, but just a pain to have to go to the dealer and not have it driveable for weeks at a time. But a redesign for both are expected, so it'll be better to gauge when the time arrives. Best of luck on your choice!
Old 05-25-12, 08:09 AM
PhiDeltBee
Lead Lap

I REALLY miss my GT-R. That being said, I think my IS-F serves me much better as a DD. Maintenence on the GT-R will get very expensive if daily driven. My IS-F feels like a slug compared to my 10 sec GT-R, but I think I'm starting to forget how fast the car was and now the F feels good. The F is an extremely fun DD and I can't think of anything else I'd take over it. I WILL put another GT-R next to it and I'm hoping for the R36. I just bought a brand new Escalade and a brand new F, so I need to catch my breath a bit before I pull the trigger on another GT-R. I always wanted a C6 Z06 and I test drove a few and they were just "ok" for me. I suggest driving a GT-R and if you aren't screaming like a little school girl the first time you put it to the floor....I'd be shocked. No comparision to the F as far as performance goes (but we already know that). See for yourself though.
Old 05-25-12, 08:22 AM
staman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smartbomb
I own both and they are completely different cars, you can't compare them, not even close.
The general consensus on NAGTROC is the F is a perfect compliment to a built GTR. I wish I could have kept both.. Mine came from a BMW dealership with 11,000km on it so Im not worried in the least with a full warranty. With an engine thats built by hand in a clean room in Japan id be willing to bet its just as high if not higher quality than the lexus. (the engine only). The 09 GTR's had a tranny problem due to the 4,500rpm launch that was fully enabled. That problem has long since been corrected..

Quick Reply: 2014 F vs GTR