IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2014 F vs GTR

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-12, 12:28 PM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBee
I suggest driving a GT-R and if you aren't screaming like a little school girl the first time you put it to the floor....I'd be shocked.

Thats pretty fun right there Now you've tempted me into driving one
Old 05-25-12, 01:55 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't get why these cars are always compared
Old 05-25-12, 02:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
I don't get why these cars are always compared
well the gtr is being compared to pretty much any car out there anyway, including exotics.

if anything i don't understand why i don't see comparison between camry and gtr yet
Old 05-25-12, 02:19 PM
SeanGTS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It makes me feel baller that I own an ISF and knowing the GTR is the next step lol. Thats all this thread does for me.
Old 05-25-12, 02:43 PM
LBmtb
Driver

http://247wallst.com/2012/05/21/the-...cars-to-own/2/
Old 05-25-12, 02:43 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
well the gtr is being compared to pretty much any car out there anyway, including exotics.

if anything i don't understand why i don't see comparison between camry and gtr yet
Camry and GTR? You don't see that? family car vs sports car...what's more important in the next 2 years...duh! jk...

IS F is so different from the GTR...GTR i think is a PURE sports car....where as the IS F is a sports car, with practically behind it...such as 4 doors, smooth (yes, you can argue that the stock suspension is rough, i think it's fine) daily driving (I do not know how the GTR feels but i assume it's stiff because of performance). the IS F is designed to fit many markets...where as the GTR in my opinion was purely designed as a sports car...oh yeah, there happens to be two seats in the back. Like a Porsche....there's seats in the back...if your kids don't have legs.

60k new vs 100k new...or i guess if you buy a new IS F vs used GTR, the price could be the same...but now you're battling new vs used.

GTR is sorta like an S2000 by concept...S2000 is for a very specific type of demographic....sports car, rwd, 2 door, convert, AND 6-speed only. Then they came out with the S2000 CR!
Old 05-25-12, 03:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Just F Me
Camry and GTR? You don't see that? family car vs sports car...what's more important in the next 2 years...duh! jk...

IS F is so different from the GTR...GTR i think is a PURE sports car....where as the IS F is a sports car, with practically behind it...such as 4 doors, smooth (yes, you can argue that the stock suspension is rough, i think it's fine) daily driving (I do not know how the GTR feels but i assume it's stiff because of performance). the IS F is designed to fit many markets...where as the GTR in my opinion was purely designed as a sports car...oh yeah, there happens to be two seats in the back. Like a Porsche....there's seats in the back...if your kids don't have legs.

60k new vs 100k new...or i guess if you buy a new IS F vs used GTR, the price could be the same...but now you're battling new vs used.

GTR is sorta like an S2000 by concept...S2000 is for a very specific type of demographic....sports car, rwd, 2 door, convert, AND 6-speed only. Then they came out with the S2000 CR!
oh i am completely with you. gtr is a fantastic car and it's monster on the track. but there are stuff that's good on other cars and i think the isf is good for what it is.
Old 05-25-12, 05:21 PM
DHRP
Lead Lap

I was pretty much dead set on getting a GT-R after my IS-F but the Gallardo has caught my eye. Not as fast as the GT-R but hell of a lot sexier and exotic IMO.
Old 05-25-12, 06:48 PM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by staman
The general consensus on NAGTROC is the F is a perfect compliment to a built GTR. I wish I could have kept both.. Mine came from a BMW dealership with 11,000km on it so Im not worried in the least with a full warranty. With an engine thats built by hand in a clean room in Japan id be willing to bet its just as high if not higher quality than the lexus. (the engine only). The 09 GTR's had a tranny problem due to the 4,500rpm launch that was fully enabled. That problem has long since been corrected..
Uhhhhhhmmmm.....not quite.

The GT-R's transmission problem is not related to the launch control (well, at least not the main reason). The GT-R's weak link in the transmission is the a) very weak first gear (breaks very easily with/without launching, b) defective solenoids that fail to engage correct gears causing sporadic shifts when not needed, resulting in gears grinding, and c) clutch packs that don't cool fast enough when hard launching causing limp mode. Also, if you believe that the problem "has long been corrected"....it has not, as I will be happy to introduce you to a few GT-R owners that regret buying one.

Btw, Nissan knew about this transmission issue months before release of the GT-R, yet did not have the time or money to redesign it quickly enough....they just figured that a majority of buyers were going to tune the cars and that would be an excuse (escape goat) for Nissan not to warranty the transmissions....enter; class action lawsuit.

The new launch control has helped to remedy the hard launching, but it has not eliminated it. Add that to the horrible customer service at Nissan dealers, and you have a recipe for disaster....I don't care how fast the car goes to the moon.
Old 05-25-12, 09:00 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DHRP
I was pretty much dead set on getting a GT-R after my IS-F but the Gallardo has caught my eye. Not as fast as the GT-R but hell of a lot sexier and exotic IMO.
Performance is cool and the GT-R has all that...but I think my next car is going to be a classic european of some sort. I've been looking around for an old school BMW 2800CS...

^^^look at that...yum.

My plans are to keep the IS F as my high performance car. Performance you'll never obtain because there will be something always faster, better, etc. But a car like the BMW 2800CS oozes classy. Maybe a E28 BMW M5 would be tastey too
Old 05-26-12, 12:53 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DCoolBeans
Thats pretty fun right there Now you've tempted me into driving one
I drove quite a few of them - amazing power - amazing road ability!

My gripes:

a) Low speed turning makes a horrible noise from the limited differential though my friend swears it's normal on all GTR's! ouch!

b) Tires + Brakes are costly

Advantages

a) Has rear seat for those fathers who need a back seat for taking out their toddler

b) Massive trunk

I know a few buddies with the GTR and I think if you are a true HP nut, it will serve your purpose well but if you are looking at a brand new 2013, at the $107k price tag you enter a realm of really cool used cars too (Gallardo, Ferrari, R8, etc) and when you compare with those cars it becomes a tough choice.

IS-F best compared to M3, C63, RS4, CTS-V however it's honorable for it to be compared to a car in a totally different class
Old 05-26-12, 01:10 AM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by s4play
I know a few buddies with the GTR and I think if you are a true HP nut, it will serve your purpose well but if you are looking at a brand new 2013, at the $107k price tag you enter a realm of really cool used cars too (Gallardo, Ferrari, R8, etc) and when you compare with those cars it becomes a tough choice.
^ Well said....just be prepared for crazy maintenance costs!
Old 05-26-12, 03:40 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GT-R has had far too many unsorted technical problems, transmission problems fought under the lemon law, and even engines that die under extreme driving conditions.

Personally, I am not a big fan of Nissan having owned a Z that had unsorted technical problems out of the gate and no long-term resolution.

If maintenance costs and reliability are important considerations, you may want to rethink this one.
Old 05-26-12, 07:58 AM
MMCRacing
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Uhhhhhhmmmm.....not quite.

The GT-R's transmission problem is not related to the launch control (well, at least not the main reason). The GT-R's weak link in the transmission is the a) very weak first gear (breaks very easily with/without launching, b) defective solenoids that fail to engage correct gears causing sporadic shifts when not needed, resulting in gears grinding, and c) clutch packs that don't cool fast enough when hard launching causing limp mode. Also, if you believe that the problem "has long been corrected"....it has not, as I will be happy to introduce you to a few GT-R owners that regret buying one.

Btw, Nissan knew about this transmission issue months before release of the GT-R, yet did not have the time or money to redesign it quickly enough....they just figured that a majority of buyers were going to tune the cars and that would be an excuse (escape goat) for Nissan not to warranty the transmissions....enter; class action lawsuit.

The new launch control has helped to remedy the hard launching, but it has not eliminated it. Add that to the horrible customer service at Nissan dealers, and you have a recipe for disaster....I don't care how fast the car goes to the moon.
How cute, another non-GT-R owner on the internet who is an expert in GT-R transmissions.
Old 05-26-12, 08:24 AM
staman
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMCRacing
How cute, another non-GT-R owner on the internet who is an expert in GT-R transmissions.
+1 Couldnt agree more...

What you need is a Cobb Access Port to Upgrade your TCM module to the new 2013 LC5 Programming. It takes under 10 minutes. But you knew that right?...

Quick Reply: 2014 F vs GTR