Clear bra from Lexus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 11:12 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Clear bra from Lexus?

Hi guys,

When you browse Lexus' website it looks like there is an option to install a clear bra at some dealers. Does anyone have any experience with Lexus' own clear bra, or would you recommend to simply go with an outside installer.

Thanks
Old 02-01-12, 05:21 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Lexus does offer a clear bra. It is ordered, then you MUST have it installed at the dealership. They will not let you have the bra pieces and do it yourself.

It is done by an outside company (which I can't remember the name off the top of my head) and it comes with a warranty against fading, etc.

I did read that it has "LEXUS" embossed in the film in a small location...not sure if I would like that.

All the pieces (bumper, hood, fenders, door edges, mirrors) are cut exactly for the car.
Old 02-01-12, 06:21 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I certainly wouldn't be doing the work myself. I am just wondering if its something that I would rather have Lexus do or if I should simply bring a car to another company. And thanks for the info.
Old 02-01-12, 09:04 AM
dinardalvi
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The clear bra is not the complete hood though.
Old 02-01-12, 09:25 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Actually, I have seen a few IS's or F's with this option installed... (and NOT by the dealership either)

If it's installed at the port and printed onto the MSRP window sticker.. It's what they call a "PIO" or Port Installed Option.
  • Paint protection film: $429
  • Rear bumper appliqué: $76

If it's installed by the dealership or 3rd party, there will be a subtotal card next to the window sticker showing the dealer "Add-ons" and increased total price of car.

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-01-12 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-01-12, 10:44 AM
StrykarISF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was a dealer installed option, and they did a great job. However I have seen older cars with the clear bra still on; and it starts to look "ashy" idk how I'll like it years from now but it looks good at the moment!
Old 02-01-12, 11:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by StrykarISF
Mine was a dealer installed option, and they did a great job. However I have seen older cars with the clear bra still on; and it starts to look "ashy" idk how I'll like it years from now but it looks good at the moment!
When it does... You remove and replace the necessary piece(s)..

Way better than repainting any part of the front that can get easily rock chipped !!!

Also, the newer films with a good clear like to be well kept and waxed or treated often.
That small step will prolong the materials appearance after many years of weathering.

Joe Z
Old 02-02-12, 04:49 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have found that all Lexus dealerships are a little different. Yes you can get it done at the port, but most dealerships either pay a subcontractor to come install film or they actually have a tint guy that preloads hood, fender, mirrors. I install film for a local Lexus dealer here and can tell you that it is cheaper to go direct than pay the markup. Another dealer here in Fort Worth preloads film... they use 3M Scotchguard and have a tint guy do it. The quality of the install and film are not what you would get by going to a reputable shop. I have tried to get their business but their profit margin is higher to use their tint guy and a cheaper film so they are a no go.
Old 02-02-12, 09:42 AM
vintage
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clear bra

I have a clear bra on the F and I can tell you I highly recommend it! I had to repaint the front bumper on my IS350 twice a year just from highway driving. Large trucks dropping things on the road and debris hitting the front will dramatically impair the finish on it. If you are hesitating because of the seam on the edges believe me you will get over it when you see you can literally wipe all your bugs and dirt off with windex or quick detailer in the front. Occasiponally I will use a little acetone to freshen the clear bra and make it shine. Another trick I learned is when you eventually scrape the bottom of it on a curb or road........if your car is black simply spray a light coat of gloss black down there and the scrape becomes unnoticeable. I had someone back into my bumper and therefore will be refinishing it next week and after the paint cures I will add another clear bra. I'm dreading to drive it while the paint is curing before it is protected. It is just that good in protecting it.
Old 02-02-12, 05:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

A friend has a clear bra on his GS450h, and I was in shock to see a chip all the way through the bra and color to the white primer under the Obsidian. I was seriously considering a respray on mine followed by a clear bra, but after seeing the chip on his despite the clear bra, it's making me reconsider the wisdom.

I have seriously thought about wrapping the car too, after seeing Legato's incredible transformation from Obsidian to Azure.
Old 02-03-12, 05:28 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your car is spanking new, you will have the best results from a cosmetic perspective.

The problem with the bra is the accumulation of wax at the edge. It will build over time.

Ultimately, it is a matter if aesthetics. I personally prefer the braless look.
Old 02-05-12, 06:24 AM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
A friend has a clear bra on his GS450h, and I was in shock to see a chip all the way through the bra and color to the white primer under the Obsidian. I was seriously considering a respray on mine followed by a clear bra, but after seeing the chip on his despite the clear bra, it's making me reconsider the wisdom.

I have seriously thought about wrapping the car too, after seeing Legato's incredible transformation from Obsidian to Azure.
Well paint protection film is not bullet proof.. if the rock is large enough it will go through the film.But it will stop 99% of what damages the paint on a day to day basis. I am POSITIVE that had he not hada clear bra there would have been much more damage to the vehicle than there was. Also there are numerous films out there... and even some sites passing off clear vinyl as paint protection film. make sure that if you do get a clear bra you go with e a good film... VentureShield Ultra, Xpel Ultimate, and Avery Nano Fusion are three I recommend/install. All of them will stop a quarter inch stone at 140mph... so you should be fine.
Old 02-05-12, 09:31 AM
ERDoc74
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the dealer install a clear bra on my car shortly after purchasing, and there were some "issues" in the quality of install and blemishes, etc I wasn't happy and considering having them redo it...then I had a rock (big one) go through the clear bra and chip the paint on my hood to the metal BUT then I wrecked my car a bit and had to have the bumper replaced... so while it was at the body shop, I had the clear bra removed from the hood and had it repainted.... it came out great! So after waiting a nervous 6 weeks for the paint to cure I had a tint shop (that I used to tint my windows) apply their clear bra product.. (Venture Shield) which supposedly is thicker and better at protecting than what the dealer used... install was flawless as well no "blemishes" or small issues with this install (obviously results specific to the skill of the installer)... Price was less as well
Old 02-06-12, 05:08 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by PTmobile
... I am POSITIVE that had he not hada clear bra there would have been much more damage to the vehicle than there was...
Please tell me how the fix would be any different than a respray if the bra had not been there. What I see is pretty simple - freshly repainted, immediately clear bra'd, gets hit with a rock at street velocity, and chips down all the way from the clear bra to the white, and now needs a respray and a new clear bra to look good again. I'm not seeing the bargain here or how the bra saved a dime.
Old 02-07-12, 10:02 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Please tell me how the fix would be any different than a respray if the bra had not been there. What I see is pretty simple - freshly repainted, immediately clear bra'd, gets hit with a rock at street velocity, and chips down all the way from the clear bra to the white, and now needs a respray and a new clear bra to look good again. I'm not seeing the bargain here or how the bra saved a dime.
Remember that "sand blasting" we talked about on our Windshield... ??

If I didn't have clear bra on my Hood, Bumper, Lights and Side Mirrors... My Paint & Lenses would look worse than the windshield..

IMHO, a good brand Clear Bra is the best investment when installed on the First Day of onwership..

Over time, it pays for itself.. When it starts to look damaged or old.. Its easily replaceable with new pieces..
(with out ever respraying OEM paint and all the issues that brings about)

Of course, there is always that 1% golf ball sized rock that cracks winshields and tears through clear bra & paint..

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-07-12 at 10:06 AM.