IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Oem hid bulb replacement concern

Old 08-22-11, 08:23 PM
proog87
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oem hid bulb replacement concern

Im wondering if any one can help me with this small issue.

I went to lexus to get my left headlight bulb swaped out cause it went out. I noticed that the color temperature is not the same, the new one has a yellow or abmer tint to it and my original has that nice but real light oem hid blue tint (4300K). I went back to lexus and they tryied playing me smart by swapping the original still good right bulb so I couldnt see the color difference. I brought it up to there attention and they said that that was the only part number showing for the Lexus isF, then they came back saying that it takes a while for the bulb to brake in.????????????????

Is this true or bs?
Old 08-22-11, 08:48 PM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

Sounds like bullship to me.
Old 08-22-11, 09:06 PM
digger08
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not crap - all HID require burn in time - up to 50 to 100 hours

Nothing can be done, unless you change both at the same time.

It will eventually change from the yellowish and become more bluish/ white with time.

The dealer is right on the money.
The following 2 users liked this post by digger08:
Jeff Lange (04-01-19), s2kjer (11-02-17)
Old 08-22-11, 09:16 PM
Linkseal
Driver

^Yup, it's called HID "Color temp shifted"...
Old 08-22-11, 11:50 PM
proog87
Rookie

Thankyou every one for the responses. Ill wait two weeks an post the results
Old 08-23-11, 12:40 AM
dano9258
Driver

Good to know. Id be pi**Ed too

Last edited by dano9258; 08-23-11 at 12:41 AM. Reason: **
Old 08-23-11, 05:24 AM
DCoolBeans
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd ask them to change both
Old 12-18-14, 08:59 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Resurrecting an oldie here and hoping my search criteria didn't just miss it (which it probably did)...

1) Will the factory/extended warranty cover this replacement? Figure it's doubtful but won't know if I don't ask

2) If I end up having to purchase a replacement from Sewell can someone please confirm the correct part number for a low-beam replacement (passenger side - not that it should matter). I'm fearing you guys are going to tell me it's 81110L and not 81110D (which would make sense based on the pics) because the prices are drastically different even with our discount

Old 12-19-14, 06:30 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BieberNutz
Resurrecting an oldie here and hoping my search criteria didn't just miss it (which it probably did)...

1) Will the factory/extended warranty cover this replacement? Figure it's doubtful but won't know if I don't ask

2) If I end up having to purchase a replacement from Sewell can someone please confirm the correct part number for a low-beam replacement (passenger side - not that it should matter). I'm fearing you guys are going to tell me it's 81110L and not 81110D (which would make sense based on the pics) because the prices are drastically different even with our discount

to answer your questions,
1. Lexus extended warranty does not cover any light bulbs.
2. 81110L seems the right part for the HID bulb.
Old 12-19-14, 08:16 AM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by zen
to answer your questions,
1. Lexus extended warranty does not cover any light bulbs.
2. 81110L seems the right part for the HID bulb.
Thanks Zen, that's what I was afraid of

So the problem I'm having is similar to the OP but different in that 1) mine are the original bulbs (nothing has been replaced - yet) and 2) when the headlights first turn on the drivers side appears as expected (bright white) but the passenger side appears a dim-yellowish color. It stays that way for about 30-60 seconds and then poof...it cuts off. This is my first experience with factory HID's so I want to make sure I'm looking at fixing/replacing the right part - especially given the cost associated. Does this sound like a bad bulb to you guys or should I be looking at something else; considering it starts to light up but either doesn't seem to fully charge/heat up and then cuts out? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-14, 11:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by BieberNutz
Thanks Zen, that's what I was afraid of

So the problem I'm having is similar to the OP but different in that 1) mine are the original bulbs (nothing has been replaced - yet) and 2) when the headlights first turn on the drivers side appears as expected (bright white) but the passenger side appears a dim-yellowish color. It stays that way for about 30-60 seconds and then poof...it cuts off. This is my first experience with factory HID's so I want to make sure I'm looking at fixing/replacing the right part - especially given the cost associated. Does this sound like a bad bulb to you guys or should I be looking at something else; considering it starts to light up but either doesn't seem to fully charge/heat up and then cuts out? Thanks in advance.
Yes, it is a bad bulb. I would never buy one from the dealer.
I bought mine on Amazon I bought mine on Amazon
, genuine Philips bulbs, identical part number to the Lexus bulbs I got from the factory. It is smart to replace them both because the other bulb is not long for this world either. You might save it as a spare in case you have an issue with one of the new ones, but for all intents and purposes, it is far better to replace them both.

There is no difference whatsoever between the left and right bulbs.
The following users liked this post:
allst4risf (11-01-17)
Old 12-21-14, 04:37 PM
BieberNutz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes, it is a bad bulb. I would never buy one from the dealer. I bought mine on Amazon, genuine Philips bulbs, identical part number to the Lexus bulbs I got from the factory. It is smart to replace them both because the other bulb is not long for this world either. You might save it as a spare in case you have an issue with one of the new ones, but for all intents and purposes, it is far better to replace them both.

Thank you lobuxracer

If only you had seen & posted this one day sooner - I literally just placed an order with Sewell (for this and a few other things) late last night hahaha. Oh well, certainly not your fault and I appreciate the link/info regardless. I may try calling them in the morning to see if I can stop/cancel that part of the order. Will definitely keep in mind and take your advice for the drivers side and any future purchases. Funny thing is I normally use Amazon for just about anything/everything I can so I'm not sure why I didn't think to do so for these Oh well, thanks again!

Last edited by BieberNutz; 12-21-14 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-22-14, 04:33 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by digger08
Not crap - all HID require burn in time - up to 50 to 100 hours

Nothing can be done, unless you change both at the same time.

It will eventually change from the yellowish and become more bluish/ white with time.

The dealer is right on the money.
+1

Dealer is correct.

Also keep in mind that 4300K is NOT bluish in manner. Its a yellow with a tint of blue in order to give off optimized visual white. You won't see real blue until you're up in the 5000k range.

Also, HIDs age differently, and will slightly change color as they do. Most people say once you start seeing purple, the bulb is on its way out.
Old 11-01-17, 08:38 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Yes, it is a bad bulb. I would never buy one from the dealer. I bought mine on Amazon, genuine Philips bulbs, identical part number to the Lexus bulbs I got from the factory. It is smart to replace them both because the other bulb is not long for this world either. You might save it as a spare in case you have an issue with one of the new ones, but for all intents and purposes, it is far better to replace them both.

just got them off amazon right now there is a 7 dollar coupon.
Old 11-01-17, 08:40 PM
allst4risf
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Swacer
+1

Dealer is correct.

Also keep in mind that 4300K is NOT bluish in manner. Its a yellow with a tint of blue in order to give off optimized visual white. You won't see real blue until you're up in the 5000k range.

Also, HIDs age differently, and will slightly change color as they do. Most people say once you start seeing purple, the bulb is on its way out.
just noticed mine were turning purple on the driver side so i order new ones !!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oem hid bulb replacement concern