IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Nav / Touchscreen quit working

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-11, 09:26 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Nav / Touchscreen quit working

Did some research and didn't find any answers... Did anyone find a fix for this or decide whether it is the software or the screen.

Basically the touch screen isn't working so I can't change anything on the screen. I tried pulling the neg- battery cable and it reset the screen but didn't help.

It's an 08 and no longer under warranty.

Any known fixes? Anyone had any luck updating their NAV disc with a newer one?

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 06-18-11, 09:45 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this has happened to many owners, im surprised a search didnt yield you any results. You should take a look at the regular IS forums, the navi is identical to the IS-F.

The problem is the touch screen, not the software. So far there has been no fix for the problem. People who have experienced it either shell out 2k to the dealership, buy the fly audio, or lastly there's a guy who is advertising that his buddy can fix it for $500. That guy refuses to give us any details on how or what he is fixing. He just wants you to ship your navi to him (somewhere on the east coast) and $500.

I guess your best bet is to take it to an audio shop near you and ask for a quote on how much to fix it. Expect it to be a pretty penny though
Old 06-18-11, 10:25 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine just stopped working too, but luckily I'm still under warranty so I'm getting it fixed for free on Monday. They told me the entire unit needs to be replaced. The service department even told me that it's such a common issue that they keep a bunch of nav units on hand since they replace 4-5 per week.

With how common of an issue that this is, I would think Lexus would do some sort of recall or extended warranty on it. I had an issue with my GMC Yukon Denali where the guages all went out, and it happened to so many vehicles that GMC covered the repair (or reimbursed people who had already paid to have it repaired) up to 75,000 even though the original warranty expired at 40,000 miles.

How far past the warranty are you? Often times you can talk to the service manager and get them to do what's called a "goodwill repair" if it is an issues that is common and you aren't too far past your factory warranty. They are allowed to do a certain number of these repairs at their discretion each month and still get paid for doing the work.
Old 06-19-11, 01:21 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Odometer, I assume you're referring to, is a safety issue so extended warranty seems in order. Nav is not and sadly, we, owners have to eat it if out of warranty.

Originally Posted by jleonard71
...With how common of an issue that this is, I would think Lexus would do some sort of recall or extended warranty on it. I had an issue with my GMC Yukon Denali where the guages all went out, and it happened to so many vehicles that GMC covered the repair (or reimbursed people who had already paid to have it repaired) up to 75,000 even though the original warranty expired at 40,000 miles...
Old 06-19-11, 09:43 AM
itsmike177
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

This happened to me earlier this year. Warranty took care of it, but it would have been a $4000 part out of warranty.
Old 06-19-11, 10:09 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
this has happened to many owners, im surprised a search didnt yield you any results. You should take a look at the regular IS forums, the navi is identical to the IS-F.

The problem is the touch screen, not the software. So far there has been no fix for the problem. People who have experienced it either shell out 2k to the dealership, buy the fly audio, or lastly there's a guy who is advertising that his buddy can fix it for $500. That guy refuses to give us any details on how or what he is fixing. He just wants you to ship your navi to him (somewhere on the east coast) and $500.

I guess your best bet is to take it to an audio shop near you and ask for a quote on how much to fix it. Expect it to be a pretty penny though
I should reiterate - the search yielded plenty of results - just no definitive answers as to potential options for out of warranty owners.

Unfortunately we are at about 75k miles right now on an 08 so I doubt there will be any goodwill on Lexus' behalf. We didn't buy it from them so I don't see them being much help.

I'd be hesitant to ship something to some "friend" of a member with $500... seems a little shady to me. Has anyone used him/his service for this?

I would really like to get to the bottom of what exactly is failing. The GPS still works accurately, so I doubt an updated NAV disk would help. Has anyone had any luck replacing the disk? It seems there should be a way to fix the issue without dropping $2000 for a whole new NAV system.

Thank you everyone for your responses. If anyone has anything further, please post it here...

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 06-19-11, 10:53 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you purchase an extended warrantee after the purchase of the vehicle? Looking at this thread is making me scared about my navi, and i have a 08 also, but still have warrantee. I don't want to shell out $4000 for a damn nav.
Old 06-19-11, 04:41 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dx3
Unfortunately we are at about 75k miles right now on an 08 so I doubt there will be any goodwill on Lexus' behalf. We didn't buy it from them so I don't see them being much help.
It doesn't matter if you personally bought it from Lexus or not, because they want to protect the image and reputation of their brand no matter if you bought the car 2nd, 3rd or 4th hand. Don't get my wrong, they aren't obligated to do a goodwill warranty repair by any means, but like I said every dealership is allowed to do them at their own discretion. All you need to do is go in and talk to the service manager and plead your case, in fact you should make a big fuss about it. Let them know how disappointed you are to see something like this fail so commonly in a luxury vehicle, and make it know that you feel they should stand behind something that is a known issue and ask if they will fix it out of goodwill.

I've had several friends get things fixed that way by different brands. For example, I know at least a few dozen people (from my GMC forums) who were able to get free transmission replacements on their GMC's because there was so much transmission failure on those at 75-80K miles, even though they were way past their warranty and the dealership was under no obligation to do anything.

It can't hurt to ask, but if you don't ask then you're just stuck paying for it out of pocket. So it just depends how badly you want then to fix it. And you can't just say "Hey, I hear you might be able to fix this for free?". You need to make a scene, get upset, and demand that they stand behind the reputation of their brand. They know they put faulty screens in these units and they should do something about it. The worst thing they can do is say no. And even if they won't do it completely free, then maybe they'll at least repair it at a discounted price (most likely in the form of charging you for parts but not labor). Here's a guy who was able to get Lexus to pay for $1700 of his $3800 transmission repair even though he was out of warranty, and on top of that he didn't even have the repair done at a Lexus dealership: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rom-lexus.html

Originally Posted by Dx3
I would really like to get to the bottom of what exactly is failing. The GPS still works accurately, so I doubt an updated NAV disk would help. Has anyone had any luck replacing the disk? It seems there should be a way to fix the issue without dropping $2000 for a whole new NAV system.
It has nothing to do with the "NAV" system, it's the touch screen itself that is going out. Everything else remains completely functional - radio, GPS, climate control, etc - there just isn't any response when you touch the screen. You probably don't even need to repace the entire LCD screen because that still works, right? All you should need to replace is the resistive touch panel that goes over the LCD, and those only cost about $25. I'm sure that's what that guy is doing for the $500 repair, but you're still doing most of the work by removing and reinstalling the unit yourself. Here's a guy who's doing it on eBay for $555: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...fAudioQ5fVideo

I would love to find get my hands on one of those defective units and see how involved it is to swap out the touch panel, because once someone figures that out and makes the info public (with replacement P/N and even possibly a DIY) it could save a lot of people a lot of money. The problem is that those who have figured out how to do it are keeping the info to themselves so they can charge a ridiculous amount of money to do the job. I've gotten so much back from various forums over the years that if I were to figure it out I'd make the info public to help everyone else out, but that's just me.

Last edited by jleonard71; 06-19-11 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-19-11, 04:44 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lx470man
can you purchase an extended warrantee after the purchase of the vehicle? Looking at this thread is making me scared about my navi, and i have a 08 also, but still have warrantee. I don't want to shell out $4000 for a damn nav.
Yes, you sure can - as long as it's still within the original 50K mile warranty period. Once you pass that then your only option is a 3rd party warranty, and those will not be as comprehensive as the Lexus extended warranty. Talk to Jerry at Midwest Toyota and he'll hook you up.
Old 06-19-11, 05:36 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

I found some pics of the screen portion of the nav system from an IS300, and you can see how easy it would be to install a replacement resistive touch screen panel. They key is finding one that has the same connector type and operational voltage:

IS300 Nav system (front & back)

Replacement 7" Touch screen panel (for $25):

Last edited by jleonard71; 06-19-11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-20-11, 08:36 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much does should i expect for an extended warranty?
Old 06-21-11, 12:34 AM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lx470man
how much does should i expect for an extended warranty?
Depends on your vehicle year, mileage, model, how much coverage you want, etc. Just contact Jerry at Midwest Toyota for a price quote, he'll give you the cheapest price you can find anywhere on a Lexus extended warranty.
Old 06-21-11, 02:36 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It would be amazing if someone could post a DIY on how to fix the navi. I'm dreading the day mine goes out, and there is no way I will ship my navi to some random guy.
Old 06-21-11, 12:13 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edgeucated
It would be amazing if someone could post a DIY on how to fix the navi. I'm dreading the day mine goes out, and there is no way I will ship my navi to some random guy.
Yeah, it sure would be nice! I don't think anyone who is willing to share the info has figured out how to do it yet, there only seem to be a few people who know how to repair them and they charge a ridiculous amount for the job.

The shady part about that guy on eBay is what he says in the first paragraph of his listing: "This is a repair service please take note that this is not a unit for sale. If you purchase this auction expecting anything other than a repair I will refund you your money minus the Fees that eBay, Pay Pal and The shipping company charge me. The eBay final Value fee plus Pay Pal fees and shipping charges are equivalent to $135. So please understand this is for the touchscreen repair or for the repair of the message that states "external system not connected."

So basically if someone clicks "Buy it Now" thinking that they're purchasing an entire NAV unit for $555, but then later realizes it's only for a repair of their existing unit, the seller will refund the buyer minus $135 in fees. Anybody who has ever used eBay knows that if you refund a buyer and cancel the transaction that both eBay and PayPal refund the fees that were charged. Plus, the eBay & PayPal fees on a $555 sale are only about $67, not $135. So this guy is basically pocketing $135 every time someone accidentally buys one of these repairs thinking it's for a whole new unit. That's about as shady as it gets.
Old 06-21-11, 12:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,845 Likes on 2,332 Posts

I have a friend with a degree in embedded systems design from Auburn University. He told me average life expectancy for resistive screens is 7 years. He also told me when mine breaks we'll figure out what needs to be done.

I will post everything we learn here. I'm just not planning on removing a working unit simply to be prepared for the eventual failure.

If anyone has a broken one and would like me and my friend to examine it so we can all find out the "secret," I'd be happy to help.

Quick Reply: Nav / Touchscreen quit working