IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Nav / Touchscreen quit working

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 03:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jleonard71
I found some pics of the screen portion of the nav system from an IS300, and you can see how easy it would be to install a replacement resistive touch screen panel. They key is finding one that has the same connector type and operational voltage:

IS300 Nav system (front & back)
IS300 Nav screen is not touch screen.
Old 06-21-11, 10:07 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just using that as an example to show how the screen is connected to the main unit. It just uses a basic ribbon cable connector, so one would just need to take a Gen 5 unit apart to see what type of connector and voltage it needs and then find a suitable replacement. It can't be that hard, but most people don't want to tear apart their NAV unit especially if they're still under warranty. Maybe someone who has a defective unit will donate it to be worked on for the sake of research?
Old 06-22-11, 11:26 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good information so far gentlemen - thank you

Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to disconnect in the trunk to reset the system? I just got off the phone with Lexus and they said sometimes they get lucky by resetting it and it starts working again... I know it is a long shot but worth checking...

Thanks,
Jonny
Old 06-22-11, 11:32 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jleonard71
Here's a guy who's doing it on eBay for $555: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...fAudioQ5fVideo
It seems he has feedback for 2 for the Lexus NAV - one he couldn't fix and the other one he got bad feedback for "ripping the buyer off". Either way, I don't think I will be sending him my system

But I do appreciate you posting the link...

Jonny
Old 06-22-11, 03:06 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can buy an extended warranty from a Toyota dealer? for the F?
Old 06-22-11, 03:10 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Can we please keep this thread about Nav and not warranties...

Jonny
Old 06-22-11, 03:34 PM
PurduePete
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

^^ Sometimes not replying is the best response when people are trying to help....
Old 06-24-11, 03:35 PM
jleonard71
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Good information so far gentlemen - thank you

Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to disconnect in the trunk to reset the system? I just got off the phone with Lexus and they said sometimes they get lucky by resetting it and it starts working again... I know it is a long shot but worth checking...

Thanks,
Jonny
I haven't heard of that working. When I took mine in the service rep didn't seem at all surprised to hear that it died. Without hesitation he said they would just replace the whole unit, and they could do it that day since they had a bunch on hand because of how frequently they go out. I'm guessing if there was some sort of easy "reset" they would have at least tried that first, wouldn't they?
Old 06-27-11, 01:24 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this problem almost 2 years ago and posted it here, I even included a video. Basically the screen is at fault, there is nothing that can be done as the screen doesn't respond to any input command. Troubleshooting is done through the touchscreen, and again as it doesn't work, it needs to be replaced. To the people that say that the whole unit is replaced... no it's not, they take the unit apart and replace the screen only.

In my case it was covered under warranty, if I were you I'd drive to the dealer and request a quote for fixing this problem, if I'm willing to pay $500 for the eBay solution, I'd be happy to pay $800 for the dealer solution which comes with warranty.
Old 06-27-11, 04:32 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^dealers will try to deny the request of just replacing the screen. They will want to replace the whole unit, which is $2k. Being able to just replace the screen would be very nice, and I'll keep that in mind if my navi ever goes wrong.
Old 06-29-11, 07:45 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PurduePete
^^ Sometimes not replying is the best response when people are trying to help....
I'm not understanding what you are getting at here?

Originally Posted by Juanca
I had this problem almost 2 years ago and posted it here, I even included a video. Basically the screen is at fault, there is nothing that can be done as the screen doesn't respond to any input command. Troubleshooting is done through the touchscreen, and again as it doesn't work, it needs to be replaced. To the people that say that the whole unit is replaced... no it's not, they take the unit apart and replace the screen only.

In my case it was covered under warranty, if I were you I'd drive to the dealer and request a quote for fixing this problem, if I'm willing to pay $500 for the eBay solution, I'd be happy to pay $800 for the dealer solution which comes with warranty.
My local dealer wanted to replace the unit, and didn't give me the option of just replacing the screen. When I asked about replacing just the screen they said they didn't do that...

Originally Posted by edgeucated
^^dealers will try to deny the request of just replacing the screen. They will want to replace the whole unit, which is $2k. Being able to just replace the screen would be very nice, and I'll keep that in mind if my navi ever goes wrong.
Now if only we could find a part number for just the screen or where to find the right screen with the right protocol then we could find the answer to this unfortunate conundrum...
Old 10-14-11, 07:23 AM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 342 Likes on 202 Posts

Just happened to #1, going to see what lexus of austin says.
Old 10-14-11, 07:45 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by vraa
Just happened to #1, going to see what lexus of austin says.
I feel your pain!!!.. I just has my 2 blue needles partially go out this summer...

I still have to take it in for a new gauge cluster.. I think I will be buying the extended warranty too...
It will make it easier to deal with small issues like this, that might pop up in the next few years.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-14-11 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-14-11, 08:53 AM
indyberett
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a local salvage yard. They usually give a warranty for up to 1 yr.
Old 10-19-11, 07:38 PM
tastfulmod
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came up on this a while ago. Hopefully it helps out. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=586894

Quick Reply: Nav / Touchscreen quit working