RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Out of warranty goodwill trani repair from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-06, 12:56 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Out of warranty goodwill trani repair from Lexus

For those who have been monitoring my posts on my trani repair issues...
See below links

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=240839
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=238236

Received call today with final verdict from Lexus Canada on their willingness to contribute to the out of warranty transmission repair cost I have incurred recently.

I paid $3800 CAD for repairs at local Toyota dealership which included a throttle position sensor and exhaust pipe.

Lexus will contibute $1700 which is half of the cost (excluding exhaust pipe and the throttle position sensor which they don't feel were related.)

I don't know why my invoice called for the sensor but the tech was honest enough to tell me the exhaust broke in the process of removal of the trani. In recognition of his honesty I paid the exhaust pipe replacement.. No charge for labour to install. I'm refering to the common flex pipe that breaks anyway.

At the end when I tried to argue with case manager the the trani breakdown was not as a result of any act or omission on my part, just internal component failure... Lexus' response was that legally there is no obligation to contribute to repairs which fall out of the terms of the warranty.. I stayed...! Their contribution was merely resulting from my maintenance history and brand loyalty.

I am sure if I was driving a Ford or Chrysler the response would have been different.

Am I satisfied... I guess so, if you consider the principal, ie: it was out of warranty and they still paid...

If you consider the consequences and cost to me: had to fork out $3800 for something I feel should not have broken or failed in the first place, no I'm not completely satisfied. At the end of the day, I have always been someone who recognizes that a car is mechanical in nature and subject to multiple factors, weather, driving habits, thermal expansion, fluid type and viscosity, just to name a few and as such has a propensity to breakdown... Conclusion, costs in maintenance are a direct by-product of vehicle ownership...

Oh my gosh my philosophicalness is making me sound like Salim...

I will however use the money from Lexus towards future maintenance items (timing belt, water pump and coolant flush) at the local Toyota dealership tho.

Thanks LEXUS
Cheers,

Fern

Last edited by Fern; 10-20-06 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-20-06, 01:47 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is sick is that I bet that with their contribution after the profit on parts and labor, they probably broke even. So they probably did not give you anything, they just chose not to make money on your case.
Old 10-20-06, 03:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,004 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
For those who have been monitoring my posts on my trani repair issues...

Lexus will contibute $1700 which is half of the cost

Thanks LEXUS
Cheers,

Fern
Not to dissapoint you

The glass is half full.

You fared better than what I expected. You took the full risk by going on your own to have the repairs done. Most would have swapped the tranny and never found out the inside condition.

Salim
Old 10-21-06, 06:05 AM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fern, nice job getting that cost recovery, even a partial contribution in a sense is fair, sort of like prorating warranty value on failed tires or batteries where the owner basically gets the balance of the expected lifetime value of the unit.

nothing wrong with that!
Old 10-21-06, 11:12 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
The glass is half full.

Salim
Yes, I agree,
the question is, " is it half full of air or half full of water, or is it full with both water and air" and if you consider that water also contains oxygen which is a big component of air... according to basic mathematics 2 halfs = 1 full glass.. of something

I know,... off topic but true.
Its all subjective

Salim, ever read any Ayn Rand?
Old 10-21-06, 06:33 PM
salimshah

Received 1,004 Likes on 907 Posts

Don't want a thead about me So I will take it off-line and will respond by PM.

Back on topic ..

How is the trasmission holding up after repairs? Do you feel the money (your portion) was well spent for the fix? My advice from the onset was leave it alone till the transmission slips or locks up.

Salim
Old 10-22-06, 08:10 AM
Fern
Lead Lap

I am very pleased with the repair.

Just one minor issue that is when I check the fluid level when the trani is hot it seams lower than the hot level indicator.

I have called the service manager and left a message that I will be taking it back for the tech to check out.

I guess better little less than too much.

I wonder if they put the amount of fluid required for the camry trani and did not consider the amount the highlander gets.

Its just surprising that the tech wouldn't have checked the level after road test

Its about the same distance below hot as the thickness of the hot area on the dipstick.
Old 10-22-06, 08:15 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Fern
I am very pleased with the repair.

Just one minor issue that is when I check the fluid level when the trani is hot it seams lower than the hot level indicator.

I have called the service manager and left a message that I will be taking it back for the tech to check out.

I guess better little less than too much.

I wonder if they put the amount of fluid required for the camry trani and did not consider the amount the highlander gets.

Its just surprising that the tech wouldn't have checked the level after road test

Its about the same distance below hot as the thickness of the hot area on the dipstick.
That happens.

My uncle and I will measure the ATF after every drain and fill. We drive it down to go shopping for parts, and then come back and check...a little low.

Same thing happens with coolant changes.