IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Grounding kit? Anyone try it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 09:41 AM
mrohno
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grounding kit? Anyone try it?

Hello everyone. Like the title asks....anyone try a grounding kit? I ask because back when I single and allowed to spend my money without having to file a request with the CEO (wife) I fooled around a lot with my first G35 and one big bang for the Buck mod was the grounding kits. I bought and installed a kit because 1. It was cheap, 2. Looked kind of cool, 3. Everyone one the G35 forum was doing it, and 4. The improvement promises and claims. I was skeptical at first when I received from the UPS delivery person what looked like a bunch of leftover cables from a high school science project, but once I installed I was a believer. Dramatically seemed to smooth the engine vibrations at idle and and under acceleration, the shifts in manual mode happened much much quicker compared to stock. I cannot make any other real performance gains as the car was pretty modded to begin with, but for $70 bucks I thought the improvements were quite noticeable. Is there a reason why it doesn't seem like people are doing this anymore? Like I've stated in my original intro to CL its been a while since I've been on a car forumand am not quite up to date with a lot of stuff. Am interested to read some comments to this.

Jay
Old 05-12-10, 11:01 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Hey Jay, I've done the same as you on my G's and M b4 with similar results and liked the mod. A lot of members on G35Driver were also very happy with this mod and swore by the results.

I've not heard much over here at CL, tho, and also wonder if anyone has done anything like this on the 'F'. I'm sure there will be some naysayers who feel it's snakeoil but none-the-less there are some who believe in it and experienced results.

BTW, Jay, I still have the 9 wire kit I removed from my M45 and would like to install it on the F tho I've not read about any connection points and have looked at the F's engine to see the possibilities.

Colin (Msedanman on 'Driver)
Old 05-12-10, 01:12 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Yeah I bought the grounding gear one from a member on G35driver, I think he was the owner of the company. It really did feel like helped my auto tranny shift faster in manual mode. I think I got the 10 wire one if I'm not mistaken. I'm in to see if anyone has tried it on an F.

Nice to see other G drivers on here. I was infinus over on G35 driver too

Jay what part of az are you in?
Old 05-12-10, 02:22 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

Count me in as another ex G35 driver who had installed a grounding and thought it improved things. I had a 6MT, slightly modded, and the grounding kit was one of the first mods that I did. Huh, and all of us in AZ

Lou
Old 05-12-10, 03:35 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i installed a few grounding cables i had left over (never put it on my IS300)...didn't really notice any diff on the F yet...although i haven't put them ALL on...
Old 05-12-10, 05:06 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, talk about some likeness. I had an 03 G35 6MT with a vortech and sold it for the ISF. I also ran a grounding kit and thought it really helped smooth the car out.
Old 05-12-10, 06:11 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

A few ex-G drivers here. glad to see you again. Some of you probably bought a kit from Gordgee over at 'Driver (a fellow Admin), who made these kits up and sold them at a very fair price.

Would be nice to find someone who's fitted a kit to the 'F'.

C.
Old 05-12-10, 06:19 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

I had one on my wrx and sti. I also remember bringing this up two years ago when i first got my F, all the naysayers came out of the woodwork.
Old 05-12-10, 06:52 PM
mrohno
Driver

Well I'm a believer and I think there has been enough research and stats to cool down any naysayers. Hope someone will either develop one or figure out the correct connection points.

Jay
Old 05-12-10, 08:21 PM
Splat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrohno
Well I'm a believer and I think there has been enough research and stats to cool down any naysayers. Hope someone will either develop one or figure out the correct connection points.

Jay
I already have all of them figured out just a matter of testing and the correct lengths. Since my car is off at elite i think i might need to borrow one, and i know just whos to get.

Ill come up with something for the masses by the middle of june.
Old 05-12-10, 08:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

You guys are funny. It's a waste. 35 years in electronics on ground and aircraft systems has taught me the size of the wire is only important if it's running warm to the touch. Differences in milliohms are not differences until current exceeds 100 amps.

Go for it. It adds weight and makes no measurable difference in a properly designed system.

I could certainly see them helping Hondas after seeing their daisy chained grounding, but Toyota is a LOT smarter than that.

BTW, I did notice every one of you said "feel" which is the worst possible reason for buying something other than a stripper.
Old 05-12-10, 11:41 PM
infinus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISFer
A few ex-G drivers here. glad to see you again. Some of you probably bought a kit from Gordgee over at 'Driver (a fellow Admin), who made these kits up and sold them at a very fair price.

Would be nice to find someone who's fitted a kit to the 'F'.

C.
Yeah that's the guy I bought it from
Old 05-13-10, 08:39 AM
mrohno
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You guys are funny. It's a waste. 35 years in electronics on ground and aircraft systems has taught me the size of the wire is only important if it's running warm to the touch. Differences in milliohms are not differences until current exceeds 100 amps.

Go for it. It adds weight and makes no measurable difference in a properly designed system.

I could certainly see them helping Hondas after seeing their daisy chained grounding, but Toyota is a LOT smarter than that.

BTW, I did notice every one of you said "feel" which is the worst possible reason for buying something other than a stripper.
Hey Lobuxracer, I hear you, and in no way am I trying to argue or disrespect You (I wouldn't know how to argue electrical stuff let Alone with someone from that field and being a newb to CL I want to be respectful to all the members) but my expirience on the G35 with the grounding wires was very positive and the results were very noticeable especially in the shifting of the auto trans and the engine note and idle/acceleration quality. Also the independent dyno tests done by many mags and tuners do show slight HP gains (3-7 whp seemed to be the norm). Also there were many electrical engineers on the forums that backed this stuff up and even used big words to describe what was happening. to me its not about HP gains, at least not with this mod....but if it can do what it did on my Infiniti with the trans, engine smoothness at idle and acceleration and get any improvement on gas mileage...then I think its worth a try. Do I know why it works? No clue, but I stand by my claims and like I said before I am a ridiculous skeptic. If it does on the F what it did on my G, then it is one of the best bang for your Buck mods out there.

My name is Jay and I approved this message!
Old 05-13-10, 08:50 AM
mrohno
Driver

Originally Posted by infinus
Yeah I bought the grounding gear one from a member on G35driver, I think he was the owner of the company. It really did feel like helped my auto tranny shift faster in manual mode. I think I got the 10 wire one if I'm not mistaken. I'm in to see if anyone has tried it on an F.

Nice to see other G drivers on here. I was infinus over on G35 driver too

Jay what part of az are you in?
Infinus, I'm in Scottsdale. You? Is there a lexus club out here? Been out of the car scene for a few years and only been in AZ for five years. There is gonna be a car meet/show this Saturday in Scottsdale at Brighton autobody.....it would be cool to get a bunch of AZ IS-Fs and all other lexus owners there!

Jay
Old 05-13-10, 11:44 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Splat
I already have all of them figured out just a matter of testing and the correct lengths. Since my car is off at elite i think i might need to borrow one, and i know just whos to get.

Ill come up with something for the masses by the middle of june.
Good for you splat. I'm willing to give it a try again.
As far as I can see, there are no negatives for this mod. Apart from about a pound of weight, and a pittance in money. Who cares about that.
As you said, this shifting if better and it's been proven to improve idling with a slight improvement in hp.

Mrohno.. I don't think anyone took it that you're dissing anyone for going out on a limb and liking something. Don't worry about that.
We had the same negativity and derision over at 'Driver. Just ignore it.

Anyone who likes it and believes in it will subscribe to it.
Anyone who doesn't won't. Simple as that.

I can tell you that there were many happy Infiniti drivers using grounding gear.

Can't wait to hear more on it.

C.

Quick Reply: Grounding kit? Anyone try it?