IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Accident.. Input desired

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 07:31 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Accident.. Input desired

So last night I was hit in the back by a Silverado at an intersection. The light was red and he said his foot slipped off the brake, seemed kind of hard for that but I didn't hear any squells either.

Anyway, the damage is definitely the rear cover and some damage underneath. Not sure it the trunk lid is creased until they straighten it out a little. He hit me square and was high enough that I don't see any damage to the ISS track exhaust .

Anyway, my first estimate came in at a little under 1500 with just an external viewing. Is it worth it to file or pursue a diminished value (DV) claim. I don't believe the total will go over 3K for repair.

Does anyone have any experience at a DV and what might be expected since this is a minor accident? Thanks.
Old 02-23-10, 08:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

What does the police report say? I had a similar incident with my 350 - very light tap to the bumper, scratched bumper cover, only a repaint for $600. Carfax had "moderate damage" because the officer screwed the pooch on the report and it cost me $4k when I traded the car in. I didn't know about the moderate damage piece until I went to trade it in. Pissed me off to no end.
Old 02-23-10, 08:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by clifftrail
So last night I was hit in the back by a Silverado at an intersection. The light was red and he said his foot slipped off the brake, seemed kind of hard for that but I didn't hear any squells either.

Anyway, the damage is definitely the rear cover and some damage underneath. Not sure it the trunk lid is creased until they straighten it out a little. He hit me square and was high enough that I don't see any damage to the ISS track exhaust .

Anyway, my first estimate came in at a little under 1500 with just an external viewing. Is it worth it to file or pursue a diminished value (DV) claim. I don't believe the total will go over 3K for repair.

Does anyone have any experience at a DV and what might be expected since this is a minor accident? Thanks.
You should read your insurance policy coverages carefully and see if deminished/dimunition of value is something that is excluded. Most big insurance carriers will exclude it. Your best bet is to fight the other party and claim against their insurance company. If they have crappy insurance...go with your own. If you have a high deductible, see if your policy allows deductible waivers or see if the other carrier is any good.
Old 02-23-10, 09:09 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Not concerned with deductible. Its really a non-issue since he was at fault. He has Farmers and I have USAA. I can go either way and get it repaired and my insurance will refund me the money and go after him if I decide not to deal with Farmers because of a hassle. I know I can pursue a DV claim, just curious if anyone out there has done it and what advice they offer. Thanks.

If there is no police report does it show as an accident on carfax? How does this type of information get reported and recorded against a VIN? I've got 5 days to submit a police report and so far both ins carriers told me its not necessary because liability for this accident isn't in question plus he's admitted fault.

Last edited by clifftrail; 02-23-10 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 10:55 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Not concerned with deductible. Its really a non-issue since he was at fault. He has Farmers and I have USAA. I can go either way and get it repaired and my insurance will refund me the money and go after him if I decide not to deal with Farmers because of a hassle. I know I can pursue a DV claim, just curious if anyone out there has done it and what advice they offer. Thanks.
If you're concerned with the use of aftermarket (non oem) replacement parts, USAA, Farmers and a few other big companies exercise that rule. If you want strictly OEM replacements, make that clear to your carrier USAA or Farmers, which ever you chose to go with. Don't be too confident with DV. I would definitely check with your policy coverages and see if there are specifics to it. If all else fails, ask your claims rep handling your file or if you're concerned about your claims rep knowing your intentions, just call USAA's insurance sales dept and see what info they can divulge.

If there is no police report does it show as an accident on carfax? How does this type of information get reported and recorded against a VIN? I've got 5 days to submit a police report and so far both ins carriers told me its not necessary because liability for this accident isn't in question plus he's admitted fault.
Depending on the insurance carrier, your VIN is entered in their database. Sometimes carriers by law divulge info to the state. There are several databases that can obtain this info. DMV records are just one way. Vehicle values, condition reports and such are also ran through third party sources, especially when running a value to guage vehicle value for a total loss or repair threshold. Carfax doesn't exactly say who they get their info from, but a lot of info regarding a vehicle based off vin# records and entries.
Old 02-24-10, 03:26 AM
n0th1ng
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would do it for a big damage like mine but i dont know about 3k... after attorney and costs i dont think you will get that much money back..
i'm in the middle of DV case right now we are looking to get about 15-20 k because my damage was alot more than that...
Old 02-24-10, 03:52 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife got hit by a BMW (she was in a Mazda Protege 5). The damage (visual) didn't look so bad. When the body shop lifted the mat in the trunk they noticed the frame was cracked to the extent that the car was declared a total.

Regardless, that's going to lower the value of the car..
Old 02-24-10, 04:51 AM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 02-24-10, 06:41 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diminished value claim! make sure you do one. I can recommend you a great place that will get you a great write up and you will see some money from it. Trust me you want to do this.
Old 02-24-10, 10:53 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

A police report or insurance claim WILL show up on carfax eventually. That will ultimately cost you money when you sell.
Old 02-24-10, 05:00 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Splat
Diminished value claim! make sure you do one. I can recommend you a great place that will get you a great write up and you will see some money from it. Trust me you want to do this.
What is the place?
Old 02-24-10, 06:03 PM
StealthFF
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would definately file a dimished value claim! It should not hit your insurance I know through the past with State Farm on comprehensive thats what you pay for and plus worth it on a vehicle like the F on me 250 before on quarter panel damage and total value of $2300 I got $2500 back.. so yeah
Old 02-24-10, 06:11 PM
jctheplaya
Lead Lap

post some pictures up and we can determine...
Old 02-25-10, 06:44 PM
clifftrail
Pole Position

Here a couple of pics.

Old 02-25-10, 09:06 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Based on those pics, it looks like the rear body panel got pushed in just a bit which is causing the decklid not to seat square with the quarters. Can you pull up the carpet inside the trunk and see how the floor and the frame rails look?

(My daily grind is a field adjuster for a major insurer...which is why I ask).

Quick Reply: Accident.. Input desired