IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Which Oil Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 06:02 PM
RiotGrip
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
So does the TRD Oil Filter PN PTR43-00081 that is recommended for the ISF. Only difference is the end caps are zink steel. See attachment. I really don't think they limit flow.

Lou
I’m not sure that filter is actually recommended for the IS-F. When I went to the TRD site, It didn’t list that filter as compatible with the IS-f(or any official recs for Lexus vehicles) and when I searched the part number with IS-F I found this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l-filters.html

However it only speculates that one could use it in the IS-F. I can’t say for sure those caps limit flow, however I am speculating as such, since all wix filters recommended for the high performance Lexus engines don’t have the caps. I’m not an engineer, but I’d only use the wix 57310 or the OEM filter in my IS-f. I think for most though any SN 5w-30 with a 5000 mile OCI and any filter that fits will get the IS-f engine to 250000 miles without much difficulty.
Old 02-12-18, 07:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I have run both the YZZ4 filter and the spec filter for the 2UR-GSE. I have oil analysis results with both including track weekends. There is no difference in wear. I also use extended drain intervals (12k miles) and run the same oil for the same period including track weekends without any significant variability in used oil analysis results. The biggest difference in my results was when Mobil 1 reformulated their oil, not when I changed filters.

I currently have the Lexus specified filters and I am using them on both my GS F and IS F. I have seen no difference at all, and I do not drive the cars (either of them) with a light foot.
The following users liked this post:
Greatest (02-13-18)
Old 02-13-18, 08:31 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by RiotGrip

I’m not sure that filter is actually recommended for the IS-F. When I went to the TRD site, It didn’t list that filter as compatible with the IS-f(or any official recs for Lexus vehicles) and when I searched the part number with IS-F I found this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l-filters.html

However it only speculates that one could use it in the IS-F. I can’t say for sure those caps limit flow, however I am speculating as such, since all wix filters recommended for the high performance Lexus engines don’t have the caps. I’m not an engineer, but I’d only use the wix 57310 or the OEM filter in my IS-f. I think for most though any SN 5w-30 with a 5000 mile OCI and any filter that fits will get the IS-f engine to 250000 miles without much difficulty.
I've had this TRD filter in my F for the last and current OCI's. Though I only have one report from Blackstone, its numbers indicate good filtration. Both it and the Toyota filter have proven to work very well in our cars. If I don't get a flawless 200k on this engine just as I did on my IS350, it won't be due to oil/filter.
Old 06-08-18, 10:16 AM
Finboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperMKIV
i "took one for the team" and i bought both oil filters so i could check them out...

here's some snaps:

there's def a difference in the color so i'm guessing the material will be slightly different as well

as you can read on the box, they're made in different locations as a previous poster mentioned as well

the kit on the right comes with some plastic adaptor piece and an extra o-ring

list price for the YZZA4 is $5.41
list price for the 51010 is $11.57
I compared the 51010 vs the YZZA4

sized them up side by side. The physical difference that i found

counted 43 pleats with the YZZA4
counted 45 pleats with the 51010

can someone else count the pleats, and see if its consistant

if it is 43 vs 45 pleats.. the ISF 51010 has more filter surface
Old 06-08-18, 02:02 PM
BlckGhst
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

43 on mine
Old 06-08-18, 02:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,831 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Since my last post to this forum I have switched to a WIX XP filter. PN 57041XP. There have been a couple of threads recommending this filter. I have done additional research, and am convinced of the superiority of this filter. And, yes it has plastic end caps.

Since we're now counting pleats - I came up with 44.

Lou
Old 07-29-18, 03:20 PM
Gsxr6k6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just counted 45 plates on the K&N PS-7018. The media on this filter looks of good quality. I'll be running this filter in my F.
Old 07-30-18, 09:14 AM
vertex16
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I opted to stick with the factory filter. Talked to the parts manager at my local dealer and bought a case at a 20% Discount. Each filter came out to be ~10$ plus tax for anyone interested
Old 07-31-18, 08:32 AM
3nergiz3d
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

I've ran both the YZZA4 and 51010. Opted for the YZZA4 because of the price. Haven't noticed any issues.
Old 11-10-18, 04:40 PM
othater
Driver School Candidate

Purchased a used 2014 ISF 250, I had 3 free oil changes from the Lexus dealer.
Now that its over I decided to do my own oil change.
So following this thread I went to Toyota and bought a YZZA4 filter.
When I pulled the old oil filter element out it was over a inch shorter.
Took it to the Toyota dealer so they can match the size it and they gave me YZZA3.
So I assume the Lexus dealer screwed me on my free oil changes by going cheap on the filters or the shorter ones are usable too.
I did a search and it seems the YZZA3 can be used on the standard IS250.
Old 11-10-18, 04:53 PM
Finboy
Driver School Candidate

How much uaed oil was in your pan ??
Old 11-10-18, 04:55 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by othater
Purchased a used 2014 ISF 250, I had 3 free oil changes from the Lexus dealer.
Now that its over I decided to do my own oil change.
So following this thread I went to Toyota and bought a YZZA4 filter.
When I pulled the old oil filter element out it was over a inch shorter.
Took it to the Toyota dealer so they can match the size it and they gave me YZZA3.
So I assume the Lexus dealer screwed me on my free oil changes by going cheap on the filters or the shorter ones are usable too.
I did a search and it seems the YZZA3 can be used on the standard IS250.
You do NOT have an ISF, you have an IS250 F-Sport. Completely different animals. The iSF has a larger oil filter housing and takes a larger oil filter. The Toyota PN 04152-YZZ3 is the correct OEM oil filter for your vehicle. The correct Wix PN is 57153, There does not appear to be an XP version of that filter. Your dealer did not screw you, he used the correct filter for your IS250. The ISF filter WILL NOT fit your car!

Lou
The following users liked this post:
othater (11-10-18)
Old 11-10-18, 07:09 PM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Quick question... prolly for Lou or Lance. And perhaps already answered in this thread. Does the IS-F oil filter need end caps? Or can the pleats be open ended? Got annoyed today when my K&N showed up and didn’t have end caps like the pic on both Amazon and the box showed, but then saw some Toyota filters that showed open ended pleats as well...
Old 11-10-18, 07:34 PM
othater
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flowrider
You do NOT have an ISF, you have an IS250 F-Sport. Completely different animals. The iSF has a larger oil filter housing and takes a larger oil filter. The Toyota PN 04152-YZZ3 is the correct OEM oil filter for your vehicle. The correct Wix PN is 57153, There does not appear to be an XP version of that filter. Your dealer did not screw you, he used the correct filter for your IS250. The ISF filter WILL NOT fit your car!

Lou
Now I feel stupid..That makes sense.
Thanks Lou
Old 11-11-18, 05:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Leander311
Quick question... prolly for Lou or Lance. And perhaps already answered in this thread. Does the IS-F oil filter need end caps? Or can the pleats be open ended? Got annoyed today when my K&N showed up and didn’t have end caps like the pic on both Amazon and the box showed, but then saw some Toyota filters that showed open ended pleats as well...
Either way. The OEM filter has no end caps. The F-Sport, Wix XP and maybe a few others have end caps. However, most don't. I've run both, but have now settled on the WIX XP. AFAIK, Lance has settled on the OEM 041542-51010 stock OEM filter. K&N's web site shows the filter with no end caps:

https://www.knfilters.com/oil-filter...018-oil-filter

Though some of the smaller illustrations show it both ways

Lou

Quick Reply: Which Oil Filter?