IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2021 IS Rear Turn Signal Bulb Swap to LED

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-21, 05:54 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,263 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by skygunner
I'm glad you prepared me. It's seriously lame that they don't have a standard, and make big changes behind the scenes without really telling the end-user. I noticed all of the other lights in-stock had a blade style design. That style seem to only have one LED on each side, consisting of two per unit. I really like the design of what is advertised online, because it focuses the light forward instead of to the sides. At this point I just hope they work without hyper flashing. If they don't work, it'll be a good reason for accepting the return.
Yeah that was my issue as well. The blade has two leds whereas the ones in the picture have 6. I went through this issue about 3 months ago when gettin the reverse lights for my girlfriend. I tried all of the big brand auto parts stores and the only ones were I successfully found them was at Oreily’s. So it might be worth trying. You can also check to see if another part number works. For example, a 168 bulb also accepts a 194 and vice versa. They are literally the same bulb and the packaging says they are compatible. I’m not sure about the 7440s though.
Old 10-24-21, 07:54 PM
skygunner
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Yeah that was my issue as well. The blade has two leds whereas the ones in the picture have 6. I went through this issue about 3 months ago when gettin the reverse lights for my girlfriend. I tried all of the big brand auto parts stores and the only ones were I successfully found them was at Oreily’s. So it might be worth trying. You can also check to see if another part number works. For example, a 168 bulb also accepts a 194 and vice versa. They are literally the same bulb and the packaging says they are compatible. I’m not sure about the 7440s though.
I've actually been to all of the O'Reilly's and the Auto Zones in the Anchorage area. All of them have the blade style design. There's not one store up here that has the Zevo 7440A in-stock. The closest I can find is a dual filament 7443, that would fit. I really hope my 7440A comes in as the old style. These are the last two LED's I need to finish this. If it's the blade style and works, I'll live.....
Old 10-24-21, 08:00 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

I've actually been to all of the O'Reilly's and the Auto Zones in the Anchorage area. All of them have the blade style design. There's not one store up here that has the Zevo 7440A in-stock. The closest I can find is a dual filament 7443, that would fit. I really hope my 7440A comes in as the old style. These are the last two LED's I need to finish this. If it's the blade style and works, I'll live.....
Ah bummer! Yeah I agree. The important thing is for it to work. The best I could find was that Walmart appears to sell the 6 LED 7443A bulb. And one of the reviews says that they are happy that they received the one that was pictured, not the blade style. But that was a year ago. So by now the stock they have might be the blade style. I’m considering ordering it but I will wait to see if your research shows that we need a resistor. I’m trying to avoid that as much as possible.
The following users liked this post:
skygunner (10-24-21)
Old 10-24-21, 09:32 PM
skygunner
Driver School Candidate

Ah bummer! Yeah I agree. The important thing is for it to work. The best I could find was that Walmart appears to sell the 6 LED 7443A bulb. And one of the reviews says that they are happy that they received the one that was pictured, not the blade style. But that was a year ago. So by now the stock they have might be the blade style. I’m considering ordering it but I will wait to see if your research shows that we need a resistor. I’m trying to avoid that as much as possible.
Hopefully they ship tomorrow....

I did happen to find the ones from Japan, from that previous post. Unfortunately they're sold out. Lol.
I'm surprised that a lot of people are content, with the way the halogen turn signals in the rear blinks. You'd think there'd be a lot more owners, who have already done this LED replacement.

https://www.croooober.com/en/item/cp...ulb-T-20-Amber

Last edited by skygunner; 10-24-21 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-27-21, 06:20 PM
skygunner
Driver School Candidate

Finally came in.....
TipsyTonio (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21, 06:23 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Finally came in.....
Hell yeah! You got the good kind! Would you mind posting the link of where you got them? Also, do they work without resistors or have you not installed them yet?
Old 10-27-21, 06:52 PM
skygunner
Driver School Candidate

Hell yeah! You got the good kind! Would you mind posting the link of where you got them? Also, do they work without resistors or have you not installed them yet?
The good news is, I got them from AutoZone online. The bad news is, the dreaded Super Hyperflash😔👎
The following 2 users liked this post by skygunner:
Oloung1 (05-13-24), TipsyTonio (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21, 06:54 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

The good news is, I got them from AutoZone online. The bad news is, the dreaded Super Hyperflash😔👎
Nooooooooooooooooo. I’m sorry to hear this man! What’s the next option for you then? I was really hoping this would work as I’d like to do the same. I’ve seen some bulbs that say they have integrated resistors, but I’m not sure about longevity on them. Alternatively you can just buy the Diode Dynamics ones that were previously used in the thread.
skygunner (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21, 07:02 PM
skygunner
Driver School Candidate

Nooooooooooooooooo. I’m sorry to hear this man! What’s the next option for you then? I was really hoping this would work as I’d like to do the same. I’ve seen some bulbs that say they have integrated resistors, but I’m not sure about longevity on them. Alternatively you can just buy the Diode Dynamics ones that were previously used in the thread.
The bulbs are definitely going to have to have the resistor built in. There's no room anywhere between the metal and the plastic housing to store anything additional....

My next step is to go to a local place here that specializes in this kind of stuff... or buy the previously mentioned Mustang lights.

Last edited by skygunner; 10-27-21 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-27-21, 07:45 PM
TipsyTonio
Racer

The bulbs are definitely going to have to have the resistor built in. There's no room anywhere between the metal and the plastic housing to store anything additional....

My next step is to go to a local place here that specializes in this kind of stuff... or buy the previously mentioned Mustang lights.
I’m curious if the 7443 bulbs would present the same issue? I doubt that then being double filament would do anything. But I guess it’s possible. I just find it weird that the Mustang ones work yet they don’t advertise having built in resistors. They are, however, 7443, not 7440. Please keep us posted.
skygunner (10-27-21)
Old 10-27-21, 08:19 PM
skygunner
Driver School Candidate

I’m curious if the 7443 bulbs would present the same issue? I doubt that then being double filament would do anything. But I guess it’s possible. I just find it weird that the Mustang ones work yet they don’t advertise having built in resistors. They are, however, 7443, not 7440. Please keep us posted.
when I get some free time I am going to go to a local place that specializes in this kind of stuff. I'll let you know🙂
Old 10-29-21, 05:32 AM
BillCannon
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

@skygunner would you be so kind to provide links for all the various bulbs you’ve replaced?
for sure I need to upgrade the trunk light since OEM lighting there is super weak and I can’t see anything in there. I might replace some of the other interior lights as well but for sure am starting with the trunk. Not sure I see the value in uograding the turn indicator bulbs though. Maybe to proactively prevent a burn out?
Old 10-29-21, 05:40 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

when I get some free time I am going to go to a local place that specializes in this kind of stuff. I'll let you know🙂
I found these on Amazon which seem to have great reviews and a couple of those reviews are from Lexus IS, though not the 2021+ model year. Might be worth a shot.
Amazon.com: SIRIUSLED RLS 7440 7440A Built in Resistor Anti Hyper flashing LED Bulb Turn Signal Light Amber Orange Color Full Aluminum Body Single Filament Error Free Pack of 2 : Automotive Amazon.com: SIRIUSLED RLS 7440 7440A Built in Resistor Anti Hyper flashing LED Bulb Turn Signal Light Amber Orange Color Full Aluminum Body Single Filament Error Free Pack of 2 : Automotive
skygunner (10-29-21)
Old 10-29-21, 05:45 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Originally Posted by BillCannon
@skygunner would you be so kind to provide links for all the various bulbs you’ve replaced?
for sure I need to upgrade the trunk light since OEM lighting there is super weak and I can’t see anything in there. I might replace some of the other interior lights as well but for sure am starting with the trunk. Not sure I see the value in uograding the turn indicator bulbs though. Maybe to proactively prevent a burn out?
BillCannon, he used these. 194 ZEVO LED Mini Bulb, Pack of 2 194LED.BP2: Advance Auto Parts
As the packaging says, you can also use a 168 or 2825 bulb. Please note that under the same product number there seem to be two variations. There are some that 1.0W and some that are 0.5W. If you order online you have no idea of knowing which you will receive. Alternatively you can just go in store and check the packaging.
And truthfully, for me at least, the reason for upgrading them is making the car feel like the $55,000 car that it is. There's no reason why some $20,000 cars have full LED lights, but a $55,000 car makes you pay $1250 to get LEDs in the front, but you still have no OEM way of getting LEDs in the back.
skygunner (10-29-21)
Old 10-29-21, 10:58 AM
skygunner
Driver School Candidate

I found these on Amazon which seem to have great reviews and a couple of those reviews are from Lexus IS, though not the 2021+ model year. Might be worth a shot.
Amazon.com: SIRIUSLED RLS 7440 7440A Built in Resistor Anti Hyper flashing LED Bulb Turn Signal Light Amber Orange Color Full Aluminum Body Single Filament Error Free Pack of 2 : Automotive

Ordered......

BillCannon, he used these. 194 ZEVO LED Mini Bulb, Pack of 2 194LED.BP2: Advance Auto Parts
As the packaging says, you can also use a 168 or 2825 bulb. Please note that under the same product number there seem to be two variations. There are some that 1.0W and some that are 0.5W. If you order online you have no idea of knowing which you will receive. Alternatively you can just go in store and check the packaging.
And truthfully, for me at least, the reason for upgrading them is making the car feel like the $55,000 car that it is. There's no reason why some $20,000 cars have full LED lights, but a $55,000 car makes you pay $1250 to get LEDs in the front, but you still have no OEM way of getting LEDs in the back.
Well said.

Quick Reply: 2021 IS Rear Turn Signal Bulb Swap to LED