IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Android and Apple Carplay - Is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-21, 07:57 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerotec
Interesting… so I’m going to have to connect back to my Lexus Bluetooth in order the play music? Does that mean I’m going to have to click the media button every time I start my car?
If you keep input in AUX you should not have to switch audio input you should be able to get audio from Carplay every time. There's a setting on Zlink to start Carplay automatically, you should also check for App update in the settings sometime they fix a lot of bugs with update.
The following 2 users liked this post by dojoman:
Jazzrock (06-18-21), Zerotec (06-18-21)
Old 06-18-21, 01:39 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
If you keep input in AUX you should not have to switch audio input you should be able to get audio from Carplay every time. There's a setting on Zlink to start Carplay automatically, you should also check for App update in the settings sometime they fix a lot of bugs with update.
I'll go ahead and check that out right now!
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (06-18-21)
Old 06-18-21, 05:08 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Okay so, the audio is actually coming from the aux port under the arm rest? Basically the Bluetooth streams the music to the unit and the unit outputs it through the aux which outputs that through the speakers?

Also, how are you guys getting internet connection? When I open Z-Link it’s having me turn on hotspot on the Android unit that connects to my phone via WiFi since it’s outputting a hotspot connection. The only thing with that is it’s only allowing me to play music offline through Spotify and I can’t go on any websites on my phone. It’s not giving me any connection basically.
Old 06-18-21, 06:03 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Okay so, the audio is actually coming from the aux port under the arm rest? Basically the Bluetooth streams the music to the unit and the unit outputs it through the aux which outputs that through the speakers?

Also, how are you guys getting internet connection? When I open Z-Link it’s having me turn on hotspot on the Android unit that connects to my phone via WiFi since it’s outputting a hotspot connection. The only thing with that is it’s only allowing me to play music offline through Spotify and I can’t go on any websites on my phone. It’s not giving me any connection basically.
AUX port is connected through Android unit via harness cable it’s not connected under arm rest. When you’re using CarPlay the audio from CarPlay is going through Android system and then it outputs to AUX INPUT to Lexus. When you’re streaming Bluetooth you’re still listening through AUX. You can also switch over input to Bluetooth from Lexus to stream directly from phone to Lexus and you can control tracks on CarPlay screen.

You can setup WiFi on Android to use your home WiFi or when you’re away you do need hotspot on your phone to connect.
The following 2 users liked this post by dojoman:
Jazzrock (06-18-21), Zerotec (06-18-21)
Old 06-18-21, 06:21 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 152 Posts

AUX port is connected through Android unit via harness cable it’s not connected under arm rest. When you’re using CarPlay the audio from CarPlay is going through Android system and then it outputs to AUX INPUT to Lexus. When you’re streaming Bluetooth you’re still listening through AUX. You can also switch over input to Bluetooth from Lexus to stream directly from phone to Lexus and you can control tracks on CarPlay screen.

You can setup WiFi on Android to use your home WiFi or when you’re away you do need hotspot on your phone to connect.
Who's on first? What's on second. I Don't Know's on third. All I know is my system works for me.
Old 06-18-21, 09:48 PM
Zerotec
Driver

I assume you’re using the hotspot given by the Android unit? Instead of you giving a hotspot connection to the unit. For some reason when the hotspot connects, I have no internet connection. I’m not really able to use my phone at all and all my music has to be listened to offline. Any remedies/settings I needs to change?

Last edited by Zerotec; 06-19-21 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-19-21, 09:20 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I assume you’re using the hotspot given by the Android unit? Instead of you giving a hotspot connection to the unit. For some reason when the hotspot connects, I have no internet connection. I’m not really able to use my phone at all and all my music has to be listened to offline. Any remedies/settings I needs to change?
I rarely use Android on this unit except to update CarPlay app. I’m able to use my phone while connected to hotspot. On the iPhone when you open hotspot it will disconnect WiFi on the phone because hotspot needs WiFi. So if you used CarPlay wirelessly you will loose connection. But you should be able to use iPhone to stream music via Bluetooth. If you use CarPlay you should not need to have Android connected to hotspot unless you want to use Android app.
Old 06-19-21, 02:26 PM
Zerotec
Driver

I rarely use Android on this unit except to update CarPlay app. I’m able to use my phone while connected to hotspot. On the iPhone when you open hotspot it will disconnect WiFi on the phone because hotspot needs WiFi. So if you used CarPlay wirelessly you will loose connection. But you should be able to use iPhone to stream music via Bluetooth. If you use CarPlay you should not need to have Android connected to hotspot unless you want to use Android app.
I for sure got something faulty from the seller. Mind you I didn't go with Lexion. I have contacted the seller about what to do from here.
Jazzrock (06-19-21)
Old 06-19-21, 02:27 PM
Zerotec
Driver

Hopefully, I will be able to fix this. I think some settings that came from the factory are set off for some reason. Maybe I need some sort of administrativecode in order to access them? Not too sure. I'll keep you guys updated.
Jazzrock (06-19-21)
Old 06-19-21, 04:52 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 152 Posts

I for sure got something faulty from the seller. Mind you I didn't go with Lexion. I have contacted the seller about what to do from here.
I really hope you're able to figure this out. I know how carefully you looked at various units before making a decision.
Zerotec (06-20-21)
Old 06-19-21, 06:33 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Which unit do you have? I also don’t have Lexion I have the original one sold by 4x4shop I bought as used it’s a few yrs old model.
Old 06-20-21, 04:03 AM
Zerotec
Driver

Which unit do you have? I also don’t have Lexion I have the original one sold by 4x4shop I bought as used it’s a few yrs old model.
I got the YZG unit. The only issues I’m having is that the hotspot doesn’t connect automatically along with when I manually turn it on via the touch screen, it doesn’t give my phone any service. I have to go into an app that uses service (Safari for example) for it to turn to cellular data while still being connected to hotspot for it to work. Moreover, Z-Link doesn’t want to start up automatically. Maybe when I fix the hotspot problem it will? There’s no setting for me to turn on Automatic Startup. Maybe I’m just missing something because these doesn’t seem right…
Old 06-20-21, 04:05 AM
Zerotec
Driver

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
I really hope you're able to figure this out. I know how carefully you looked at various units before making a decision.
Yeah… hopefully I can figure this out. If not I could always sell this unit as used to someone on the marketplace who’s not as picky as me aha. But hopefully I can figure it out!
Old 06-20-21, 09:42 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I got the YZG unit. The only issues I’m having is that the hotspot doesn’t connect automatically along with when I manually turn it on via the touch screen, it doesn’t give my phone any service. I have to go into an app that uses service (Safari for example) for it to turn to cellular data while still being connected to hotspot for it to work. Moreover, Z-Link doesn’t want to start up automatically. Maybe when I fix the hotspot problem it will? There’s no setting for me to turn on Automatic Startup. Maybe I’m just missing something because these doesn’t seem right…
So you don’t see an option to update zlink in the app setting? Yeah this is weird not able to use iPhone with hotspot something isn’t right.
Old 06-20-21, 09:57 AM
JohnAceGT8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple carplay

Originally Posted by kaleo211
I bought one from Taobao (Chinese version of eBay), and installed it myself, it worked great so far. only cost me about $280 including shipping to the US.

I just bought this same module. How has this been working for you so far? Any issues or concern’s I should now about please? Thank you.

Quick Reply: Android and Apple Carplay - Is it possible?