Backup Camera Guidelines Missing

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-21, 03:58 AM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Backup Camera Guidelines Missing

Morning guys,

so my backup camera wasn’t working on my 2015 IS350 F Sport. So I had it replaced by lexus since it was still under warranty. When I got it back yesterday the backup camera guidelines are missing. I’ve read the entire manual and can’t figure out how to get the guidelines back.

when it’s in reverse it’s just the camera view with no buttons or options to click on anything. And under the settings>vehicle> all that is there is maintenance, vehicle customization, and backup camera guidelines. I click on guidelines and select the one I want but when I put it back in reverse they still do not appear. I’ve tried restarting the whole unit as well by holding down the audio power button until reset happens.
Old 03-07-21, 06:10 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Chances are when they replaced the camera they didn't complete 1 or more calibrations...they likely bolted the camera in, saw and image on the screen, and figured that was it...that's why you're not seeing the Estimated Course Lines.
The calibration below you can do yourself at home easy...read the NOTICE below first.

If that doesn't work, then refer to the HINT, that calibration has to be done by the dealer.
While it's not impossible for you to do it, it's complicated and will take time and a tool...since the camera is under warranty the dealer should be doing as part of the replacement.

INITIALIZE PARKING ASSIST MONITOR SYSTEM

(a) If estimated course lines are not displayed on the image of the area behind the vehicle, perform the following procedure to correct the steering angle neutral point.

(1) Fully turn the steering wheel to the right and left on flat ground.

NOTICE: Memorizing the steering angle neutral point must be carried out with the engine started. Apply the parking brake, depress the brake pedal, check that the shift lever is in P, and ensure that the vehicle is not moving.

HINT: If estimated course lines are not displayed on the image of the area behind the vehicle with the steering wheel fully turned to the right or left, perform "Steering Angle Setting in Calibration".
Old 03-07-21, 06:23 AM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

So I tried the first thing. It didn’t help. Then I went to the setting steering in calibration and that option doesn’t exist.

the only options I have under calibration are position/Direction and Tire Change
Old 03-07-21, 06:31 AM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

Also not only am I not seeing the estimated course lines, I’m not even seeing the backup guidelines. There are zero lines period. It’s just the camera view.
Old 03-07-21, 06:36 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grigsbyt1
So I tried the first thing. It didn’t help. Then I went to the setting steering in calibration and that option doesn’t exist.

the only options I have under calibration are position/Direction and Tire Change
I didn't think the easy procedure would work, but it was worth a shot seeing how it was so simple.
The Steering Angle Setting in Calibration is not a menu option in the vehicle, it's a procedure in the repair manual...Calibration section of the Park Assist Monitor system, under the sub section, Procedure 1.
The dealer will have to do it as it involves a target being placed behind the vehicle at a certain distance in order to calibrate the camera...then you have to go into the Service Menu of the Navi unit in order to complete the calibration.
Just take it back to the dealer if the camera was under warranty...they likely didn't know they needed to calibrate it, hence why you have no Estimated Course Lines.

Last edited by Sasnuke; 03-07-21 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-07-21, 06:38 AM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

Perfect thank you! Last question, when I turn the vehicle on it defaults to the full screen navigation. Do you know how to change it to where when I turn on the vehicle it defaults to the radio full screen instead of always having to hit “home” then select the radio section
Old 03-07-21, 06:50 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Grigsbyt1
Perfect thank you! Last question, when I turn the vehicle on it defaults to the full screen navigation. Do you know how to change it to where when I turn on the vehicle it defaults to the radio full screen instead of always having to hit “home” then select the radio section
Assuming you have the Navigation Owners Manual for the car, go to page 38.
Note, this is not in the Owners Manual, it's the other book.

Last edited by Sasnuke; 03-07-21 at 06:55 AM.
Old 03-07-21, 07:35 AM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

Awesome! Thanks for everything!
Old 03-07-21, 03:24 PM
Grigsbyt1
Driver

Sorry for my miscommunication. When I turn the vehicle on it automatically displays the navigation in full screen. How do I change that to the radio? Page 38 in the navigation manual only shows me how to change the Home Screen.
Old 03-07-21, 07:57 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I just checked my IS to be sure, but the last screen you leave it on when you shut off the vehicle is the one it restarts on.
Try this...Press MENU, then Select SETUP, then GENERAL.
Scroll down until you see AUTO SCREEN CHANGE...confirm it's set to OFF.
Old 03-10-21, 11:56 AM
V00D001
Rookie

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I just checked my IS to be sure, but the last screen you leave it on when you shut off the vehicle is the one it restarts on.
Try this...Press MENU, then Select SETUP, then GENERAL.
Scroll down until you see AUTO SCREEN CHANGE...confirm it's set to OFF.
That sort of works for my 2018. The screen is split though into a "Main" larger screen on the left and a smaller "Info" screen on the right. The right screen will revert to the last one when I start the car, but Navigation is always displayed on the "Main" screen upon start up. If I want something else on the main screen (other than Navigation), I have to select it from the main menu every time I restart the car. It's not hard - in my opinion I shouldn't have to do it every single time I start the car. I like most people, want to set it to a "default" screen so that when I restart the car, the "default" screen is displayed, not Navigation. Unless I'm missing something, I can't figure out how to do that.

Please excuse the dust specs - haven't had a chance to clean the inside in a while.

Last edited by V00D001; 03-10-21 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-13-21, 12:00 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Please do update when you got this solved.. thank you.