Rubber Hose Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-19, 06:35 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Rubber Hose Replacement?

Hi All!

So I haven't been to the dealership in quite a while because I have been having my routine maintenance done at an independent Lexus/Toyota shop. Well, it just dawned on me that I should probably be replacing the hoses on my car as the car has a build date of summer 2013, albeit was purchased by me originally in 2014. Thus, the hoses are six years old and I think it would be prudent to change them. The question is: which hoses do I change? I see that there is one clearly visible when opening the hood that leads from the radiator to somewhere, although I really can't see any others, but I'm sure, of course, that there are others in the engine compartment that need changing.

Can anyone help out? Sasnuke, perhaps? Which hoses should I change as part of preventative maintenance. The top hose that's clearly visible looks like it definitely needs to be changed.

Thank you!
Old 11-06-19, 07:01 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I think this is really an environment dependent question.
My brother is still driving his 1996 Camry with all the original hoses...so it's hard to think a 6 year old IS needs hoses.
Typically when referring to hoses, it's all the coolant hoses...which there are definitely a few.
Here is a diagram...admittedly not the best, but shows all the hoses.

There's the Upper and Lower radiator hoses
There's the 2 hoses that go to and come from the Throttle body
There's the 2 hoses that go to and come from the Transmission Oil Cooler
There's the 2 hoses that go to and come from the Heater Core (or Heater Radiator as per the diagram)

So you're at 8 hoses already.
There might be another 1 or 2 hiding on top the engine somewhere.

Personally I'd be inspecting the hoses for signs of cracking before making the move to replace any.
Sometimes they will look ok, but if you squeeze them firmly and hear some crunching noises, likely also not a good sign.

That top hose you referred to, why do you think it needs changing?
Reality is all the coolant hoses are the same construction, just varying sizes dependent on where and for what it's needed in the engine bay...so potentially if one is going, the rest likely won't be far behind.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
MagStock (08-11-21), Noeh (11-09-19)
Old 11-06-19, 07:27 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

god, that's a lot of hoses.

thanks, sasnuke. i guess i'll leave the hoses alone? i'm not quite sure. i live in the valley of southern california where the temperatures reach the 90s during the summer and below freezing during the winter, albeit not very often. that, and my car is always garaged whenever i'm not at work or out and about.

do you have a recommendation on what i should do if anything?

i'm basing the need for changing the top hose on its appearance. it looks weathered, but it isn't at all cracking. i guess it's just looking its age -- six years.
The following users liked this post:
MagStock (08-11-21)
Old 11-06-19, 07:50 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi

thanks, sasnuke. i guess i'll leave the hoses alone? i'm not quite sure. i live in the valley of southern california where the temperatures reach the 90s during the summer and below freezing during the winter, albeit not very often. that, and my car is always garaged whenever i'm not at work or out and about.

i'm basing the need for changing the top hose on its appearance. it looks weathered, but it isn't at all cracking. i guess it's just looking its age -- six years.
I concur with Sasnuke, it’s way too early to change hoses. The rubber hoses are designed to last a long time they are super durable since they run coolant through them. Also, there is a reason Toyota/Lexus uses certain coolant, both for better durability of the hoses and so the coolant itself lasts a long time.
Old 11-06-19, 09:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,296 Posts

I sold my 2008 ISF in early July of this year. I had for 11 years. Original hoses were just fine when I sold it.

Lou
Old 11-07-19, 02:45 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Thanks for the reassurance, guys. I'll leave my hoses alone! I just got a new position and the commute is further away so I'm just concerned for the wellbeing of the car as preventative maintenance is key!
Old 11-08-19, 05:06 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi

My best suggestion is regular inspection...like at every oil change, and then replace as necessary.
I can appreciate the environment you live in may take different tolls on the car than the environment I live in...for instance batteries seem to have a shortened life in the year round heat that up here is the great white north.

If the hose appears to have a white skin-ish type look, not to worry, it's just the environment and the hose interacting.
Maybe post a pic of that top hose so we can give a better answer about it specifically.
MagStock (08-11-21)
Old 11-08-19, 09:36 PM
athanato
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I've never had to replace a hose on any of my cars, just regularly inspect them.
Heck the battery in my 2IS lasted over 8yrs which is beyond the norm.
Engines and component materials have improved over the decades to the point that they should last a long time if they are maintained and used within design spec.
Jazzrock (11-08-19)