IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is there something unique about Vossen Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-19, 12:02 AM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is there something unique about Vossen Wheels?

Hello!

Recently picked up a 14' IS350 and I'm thinking of changing the wheels on it with RSR Half down lowering springs. I wasn't intending on modifying the car but...that's getting pretty difficult haha.

I've been browsing the forum and it seems like a lot of people like Vossen Wheels. I do like them but I was curious if anyone can shed some info on the wheels themselves and if there is anything particular that makes them so popular.

Is it just the design? the quality? something else?

Looking to go to 19's, tied in with RSR half down...don't want to have any issues with rubbing...my work parking garage is HORRIBLE with steep and uneven inclines when driving up/down each level (super annoying!).

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-19, 12:51 AM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

I think the whole reason people get aftermarket wheels is mainly for the looks (as much as people say performance, that comes second and that's a maybe). The reason why I say performance second / a maybe: aftermarket performance wheels are supposed to be lighter than stock to make your car faster and better material for a stronger wheel. So usually the fake / copy brands use worse material and they are heavier as well too. Most people cheap out on wheels and just get it for the looks and don't think twice about the performance.

This guy does a video comparing his stock rims to his new Vossen ones which seem to be very close in weight, I believe the Vossen wheels are bigger than the stock ones. I haven't changed the rims on my car because I heard that can alter the speedometer reading so idk if I want to mess with all that. This is just what I know but I am sure someone can give you a better answer than me.
Old 06-22-19, 07:24 AM
evident
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

They pay alot of people on forums across multiple makes/models to push their rims. They are usually heavy and not performance oriented. mainly for design/style only. They are big and some designs are nice but i'd rather have some rays or volks. I think they may have just did a collab with rays so maybe they are trying to branch out

Last edited by evident; 06-22-19 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
anthonys2r (06-23-19)
Old 06-22-19, 03:20 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by logix1229
Hello!

Recently picked up a 14' IS350 and I'm thinking of changing the wheels on it with RSR Half down lowering springs. I wasn't intending on modifying the car but...that's getting pretty difficult haha.

I've been browsing the forum and it seems like a lot of people like Vossen Wheels. I do like them but I was curious if anyone can shed some info on the wheels themselves and if there is anything particular that makes them so popular.

Is it just the design? the quality? something else?

Looking to go to 19's, tied in with RSR half down...don't want to have any issues with rubbing...my work parking garage is HORRIBLE with steep and uneven inclines when driving up/down each level (super annoying!).

Thanks in advance!
Just my opinion but Vossens are pleasing to the eye and are in the top ten of aftermarket wheel warranties, as is BBS, Rays,Volkswagen,Work. I absolutely love my CVTs on my car.
Old 06-23-19, 01:31 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Napalvr
Just my opinion but Vossens are pleasing to the eye and are in the top ten of aftermarket wheel warranties, as is BBS, Rays,Volkswagen,Work. I absolutely love my CVTs on my car.
Yes I agree with you they are quite pleasing to the eye. That's mainly the reason I'm considering them. I don't drive the car super hard so I don't care so much on the "performance" aspect but of course having lighter wheels would be nice as adding additional weight to an already heavy car would suck....

In regards to other "performance", of course I want the wheels to be able to withstand every day driving, etc. I commute quite a distance every day for work so I do want the rims to hold up.
Old 06-23-19, 04:54 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
They pay alot of people on forums across multiple makes/models to push their rims. They are usually heavy and not performance oriented. mainly for design/style only. They are big and some designs are nice but i'd rather have some rays or volks. I think they may have just did a collab with rays so maybe they are trying to branch out
Exactly this, especially the bold. I believe most of the wheels are cast or multi-piece forged; not 1 piece forged.
Old 06-23-19, 06:21 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I have 19" Vossen CVT's on RSR half downs. I love the look and get many compliments.
The following users liked this post:
Napalvr (06-24-19)
Old 06-24-19, 04:43 AM
LexusfanVA
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 159 Posts

They have many design that are definitely pleasing to the eye and they have gotten much better over the years. When they first came out, first few years some people had quality issues, but since then they have massively improved as well as offered more expensive/lighter forged and flow formed designs. There was even for a time stories of wheels breaking which in my opinion was limited only to their five spoke design which seemed flimsy anyways. Personally I have had three different sets and never experienced any issues. They were always on the heavier side but looked great, my last set was in 2016.

Another thing that Vossen does right is get exact specs for every car. Over the past few years I have bought Wed Sport, Gramlights, and Enkei, and the specs are a pain in the *** to find and make sure you are getting it right. This combined with their excellent marketing strategy with great videos on YouTube allows you to see from every angle what you are getting in nearly every shade and size possible.