Search this Thread

Old 03-04-19, 02:07 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts
Default paint chips/rust around 3m protective film

Hey guys I’m sure most of you have seen this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...heel-arch.html
I have a 2015 is350.. no paint chips or rust...YET.
called the dealer, made them pull up the TSB in the thread above, dealer says they won’t fix tape or adjust door or do anything until it’s damaged...
I’m out of bumper to bumper warranty in 1 month and am 50/50 on getting extended warranty, don’t want to start another warranty debate, but what should I do? Body shop the dealer uses say they will adjust my door and apply a new 3m film in that area for $300 CAD plus tax.... but it might void future warranty work in that area???? Independent shop says for $100 plus tax they’ll apply a new piece properly there..
I don’t want to do something that will jeopardize future warranty work (recall or extended if I get it) but I also don’t want my first nice car getting chips, rust and possibly needing a $2600 paint repair...

first, would me doing the 3m film through this body shop actually void future warranty work in that area??

would Lexus platinum warranty cover a paint repair like this assuming it doesn’t turn into a recall??

Should I just say eff it, pay the 300$ for new film and never mention it to Lexus??
Should I get the independent to do it for $100+tax?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by NickCaesar; 03-04-19 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 02:37 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

You've been on here long enough that how often have you seen opportunities come up with other members which would validate an extended warranty? I'm a fan, they're nice peace of mind I just dont think its necessary here.

I'd pay the guy $100 to do it. Ask him to use 3M material, provide it if necessary and be done with it. $300 is way too much for just that.
Old 03-04-19, 03:22 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOMER350
You've been on here long enough that how often have you seen opportunities come up with other members which would validate an extended warranty? I'm a fan, they're nice peace of mind I just dont think its necessary here.

I'd pay the guy $100 to do it. Ask him to use 3M material, provide it if necessary and be done with it. $300 is way too much for just that.
what are you doing? Is yours chipping or rusted? Are u going to have the film applied correctly?

warranty wise I’ve seen problems on this forum from rust and paint damage to navigation units, hvac components, leaking struts, door lock actuators, ripped/torn seats, sunroof rattles and even some weird thing where some side view mirrors were peeling and turning black.

Engine and tranny are bulletproof, I know. It’s everything in between im worried about.

also my last vehicle, a 2010 Rx350..1 owner, serviced by the book had a leaking head gasket, broken water pump, and nav unit go all out of warranty and only with 100,000km so my faith in Lexus is not very good right now. But yes I acknowledge and ageee they are generally the best in reliability in the automotive world.
Old 03-04-19, 05:14 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Shoot yeah the nav unit could come into play, I guess with any car a good bumper to bumper could possibly pay off. Most of the other things are easy DIY fixes or normal wear/tear that I'm not sure a warranty would be alot of help with, I could be wrong and of course that's just my opinion.

I will be asking my credit union who finances my other car about a b2b warranty and while I'm at it I'll check on the IS. I checked last time when I bought the car and it was just way too $$$ at that time.

I hadn't read about this issue until you brought it up actually! Lol. I checked mine and I have 1 single tiny rock chip there on driver side only.
I have oem touch up paint I've used on other rock chips. I'll use that and purchase, cut, apply protective film myself.
Old 03-04-19, 05:25 PM
truu
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

You could also do it yourself. The 3M film is around $11 per side.

When it's a little warmer outside I was planning on doing it myself by leaving the film on, but cutting a small piece and covering the corner. I don't think anyone will pay that close of an attention to that area.

Last edited by truu; 03-04-19 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 07:08 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by truu
You could also do it yourself. The 3M film is around $11 per side.

When it's a little warmer outside I was planning on doing it myself by leaving the film on, but cutting a small piece and covering the corner. I don't think anyone will pay that close of an attention to that area.
Exactly. No probaly wont notice but these become weathered with time so might as well peel existing and replace while you're there.
Old 03-04-19, 07:58 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Shoot yeah the nav unit could come into play, I guess with any car a good bumper to bumper could possibly pay off. Most of the other things are easy DIY fixes or normal wear/tear that I'm not sure a warranty would be alot of help with, I could be wrong and of course that's just my opinion.

I will be asking my credit union who finances my other car about a b2b warranty and while I'm at it I'll check on the IS. I checked last time when I bought the car and it was just way too $$$ at that time.

I hadn't read about this issue until you brought it up actually! Lol. I checked mine and I have 1 single tiny rock chip there on driver side only.
I have oem touch up paint I've used on other rock chips. I'll use that and purchase, cut, apply protective film myself.
Nice as long as your chips not down to bare medal u should be good, I’ve only examined mine once, quickly, scared to really look close as with my luck I’ll see something. But I’m 99% sure I don’t even have a chip there so I figure throw 100$ at it and be done. I also have them putting in a thick strip, one that cover even more of the wheel well and than goes into the door crevice further. The factory strip causing the issue is very small, like 12 inches long and only about 1.5 inches thick, I’m gonna have them go more like 3” wide to cover more area, and deeper into the door crevice.