IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

DIY oil change surprise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 06:56 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default DIY oil change surprise

I recently changed my oil myself, for the first time, on my IS350. As those of you who have done this know, included with the oil filter are two rubber rings, one large one for the outside rim of the filter, and a smaller one for the tube in the middle of the assembly.
When I removed the old filter, there was no smaller ring to be found! I fumed a bit, and installed the new filter using both large and small rings.
When I called Lexus to complain, I was told that they don't use the small ring! They said it serves no purpose but to facilitate a "clean drain", which I do not understand.
I was absolutely dumbfounded that they would give you a rubber ring and not expect it to be used!
Old 08-08-18, 01:07 PM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

subscribing. I haven't changed the oil on mine yet. Very interesting.
Old 08-08-18, 02:43 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,656 Posts

From what I remember doing this months ago:

Step 1) The oil filter housing assembly includes an outer "Access window" if you will that loosens with a 3/8" drive ratchet extension. The oil doesn't drain when you remove that "access window" cap until you stick the included plastic drain spout with it. Then you perform a "Clean drain." as the oil is a clean directed stream. You then replace THAT smaller o-ring when you remove that "cap."

The filter remains on the car.

Step 2) Then after it drains, THEN you remove the actual filter housing using the large Toyota oil filter socket tool. Then some more oil drips out.

You can perform step 2 without performing step 1 and achieve the same result. Step 1 is for convenience and cleanliness though so you don't get a bunch of hot oil all over your hands and all over the ground. But it is doable. If you do JUST step 2, you can skip the install of the new small o-ring.
Old 08-10-18, 03:45 AM
lew_b
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting ready to do my first DIY oil change on my '17 300 ISF. I found this at amazon:
Amazon Amazon
Anyone use this before, and is it any good ? Or would keeping a drain pan under the filter accomplish the same task ?
I'm coming from an '04 IS, so I'm used to oily messes when removing the oil filter
Old 06-17-19, 02:41 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Skip the background on this screwup.

Broke my 1/4 drive wrench trying to take off the oil filter canister. 1/4 is what I keep in the trunk and thought my plier style oil filter wrench would be sufficient anyways. That cannister lid for the filter is on there TIGHT. 1st time I've done this car so the shop did this.

So I already dropped all the oil and replaced without filter. I will go grab my 3/8" drive and redo in a couple days so I get the new filter in there.

Opinions...should I drain all the oil again starting from drain plug? Should I just remove filter and catch whatever comes out there and top off with new oil? How much could I expect to get out? Or if I don't insert the little drain plug will nothing come out? 1st oil change I've done on a car with this style oil filter.

Took only 6 qt to fill without having removed the filter.
Old 06-18-19, 09:00 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

How often are you changing your oil?

If it were me, I change every 5k, I'd just take the filter out, and top it off.
I'm no professional but I don't think it'd be a big deal if you did it every 10k

Lexus recommends oil changes every 10k,
unless you drive under "special operating conditions" , where they recommend every 5k
defined on p.44 on the Warranty/Service manual:
https://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY...350_WSG_lr.pdf

Old 06-18-19, 09:26 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Skip the background on this screwup.

Broke my 1/4 drive wrench trying to take off the oil filter canister. 1/4 is what I keep in the trunk and thought my plier style oil filter wrench would be sufficient anyways. That cannister lid for the filter is on there TIGHT. 1st time I've done this car so the shop did this.

So I already dropped all the oil and replaced without filter. I will go grab my 3/8" drive and redo in a couple days so I get the new filter in there.

Opinions...should I drain all the oil again starting from drain plug? Should I just remove filter and catch whatever comes out there and top off with new oil? How much could I expect to get out? Or if I don't insert the little drain plug will nothing come out? 1st oil change I've done on a car with this style oil filter.

Took only 6 qt to fill without having removed the filter.
Replace filter and top up.

Your 1/4 drive ratchet didn't stand a chance...
Old 06-18-19, 01:53 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Your 1/4 drive ratchet didn't stand a chance...
I thought the same thing. I always do my own and just lightly snug the filter cap but after heat cycling its always super tight.

As already mentioned, I never bother with the filter drain/small o-ring. I just open the entire filter housing partially and let it drain out slowly so it doesn't make a mess.
Old 06-18-19, 03:01 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Ok ill take both your suggestions and just replace filter slowly drain and top off.

Does 1 qt sound excessive to expect to come from filter housing? Guess it doesn't matter it's at a good level now and I'll find out tomorrow.
Just concerned about it making a mess in there on the engine floor board.

Ha...yeah anytime you put an extension on a 1/4" drive you get a "this is dumb" feeling. It's just what I keep on me hadn't appropriately prepared for the canister style filter housing.
Old 06-20-19, 02:17 PM
bionictony
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

probably less than 1/2 qt will drain out if you take out the filter. do you use the plastic insert to drain the housing first? or do you just plan on unscrewing the housing?