Drive Mode - Temporary Shift Range

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 06:24 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Drive Mode - Temporary Shift Range

Anyone use this mode?

While in drive mode, we're able to select a top / maximum gear the car will shift into, temporarily. Do this by using
the paddle shifters and selecting a gear 2-8 (2-6 on six speed).

Nice for downshifts when I dont want to be in manual mode. However, would be even nicer if it worked as it seems it's supposed to. When in traffic, I dont need the car shifting up to 5th gear at 25mph, but rather would like to limit this to say 3rd gear as I know I'm about to slow back to 5mph.

However, the problem is the after pushing the accelerator for 4 seconds it comes out of this mode, rendering it useless for my purposes. I guess it's the "temporary" part that's got me baffled

Anyone use this and find a good purpose for it?
Old 07-09-18, 06:29 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Also, I did read about this in the owners manual and it confirmed what I've written above. Just something's in there go unsaid and thought I'd get a fellow user's experience.
Old 07-09-18, 07:42 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

The new 8 speed transmissions use "m" manual mode and the 6 speed transmissions uses "s" sport mode. The sport mode chooses the best gear for what your foot is doing and limits the top gear to wear you set it. It is basically a gear limiter. No real need to shift. On the other hand, the 8 speed transmissiion Manual mode "m" is whatever gear it is in until you decide to change it.
Old 07-09-18, 08:06 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by GaryJG
The new 8 speed transmissions use "m" manual mode and the 6 speed transmissions uses "s" sport mode. The sport mode chooses the best gear for what your foot is doing and limits the top gear to wear you set it. It is basically a gear limiter. No real need to shift. On the other hand, the 8 speed transmissiion Manual mode "m" is whatever gear it is in until you decide to change it.
No I'm not talking about manual mode.

This mode is similar but used while in Drive (as described). Shown on the dash as gears D2, D3, D4....as opposed to manual mode M2, M3, M4 etc.
Old 07-09-18, 11:22 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Aahh so that's what it's for lol..
I've always thought that it's some half-assed manual mode that doesn't work very well.
However, it also doesn't work the way you described - I think it's more for letting the car know what you want to do next. For example, if you're cruising at highway speeds and then shift down to 3rd for overtaking, it does that perfectly fine. When you then shift up to 6th, the car knows that you will return to normal cruising speed and will eventually shift to 6th (when it's the best time to do so). If you would shift up to 5th, it would think you're slowing down a bit, so it stays in 5th for a short while. If you don't slow down however, it switches to normal mode and changes back to 6th again.
Old 07-10-18, 05:05 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
The six speed transmission has an "M" manual mode.
Old 07-10-18, 08:47 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

I’m going to try this out and see what happens, it’s interesting.
Old 07-10-18, 08:50 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Yeah I almost never use the paddles outside of M. The only time I could really see it is if I want to engine brake, but this happens automatically if I touch the brakes while going downhill. I remember trying it during the test drive and being quite underwhelmed, but later I got to try M mode and was more pleased with the way it behaved.

The "S" mode behavior described above only applies to models that have shared transmissions with Toyota products, such as the ES.
Old 07-10-18, 09:17 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Raghza
Aahh so that's what it's for lol..
I've always thought that it's some half-assed manual mode that doesn't work very well.
However, it also doesn't work the way you described - I think it's more for letting the car know what you want to do next. For example, if you're cruising at highway speeds and then shift down to 3rd for overtaking, it does that perfectly fine. When you then shift up to 6th, the car knows that you will return to normal cruising speed and will eventually shift to 6th (when it's the best time to do so). If you would shift up to 5th, it would think you're slowing down a bit, so it stays in 5th for a short while. If you don't slow down however, it switches to normal mode and changes back to 6th again.
Yup were both kind of correct on what it does.
At least, what you've described is the most useful purpose I see so far. Being about to find a lower gear quickly for passing or engine braking without switching to M mode.

However, the way Lexus describes this (and the way I interpret it), is that you are creating a "temporary shift range" as its named.

For example, if you put the car in M4, it will be in 4th gear period (unless you slow way down).
However, if you put the car in D4 (using paddle shifters while the shift lever is in the D position) than the car will shift normally through gears 1-4, but not exceed 4th. You've then set your "shift range" to gears 1-4.

That is how I understand it is "supposed" to work. They say after pressing the accelerator for an extended amount of time (4 seconds for me) than it disengages this function and returns to normal Drive mode.

So it seems only useful just to get you in that lower gear quickly and temporarily. But that's not a "temporary shift range" as they've called it.
The following users liked this post:
Raghza (07-10-18)
Old 07-10-18, 09:47 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,209 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I only use the paddles in D mode when I want to slow without touching the brake pedal. Other than that I find it useless as the computer will revert back to D mode pretty quickly.

Around traffic I keep it in M mode so I can move around more efficiently as the transmission takes way too long to react.
Old 07-10-18, 09:52 AM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I come from 6MT, so I miss the shifting. I sometimes put into M mode and forget to shift up after red light and hit high rpm on 1st gear by accident. I'm going to try to exclusively drive on M mode going forward.
Old 07-10-18, 10:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by yohan81718
I come from 6MT, so I miss the shifting. I sometimes put into M mode and forget to shift up after red light and hit high rpm on 1st gear by accident. I'm going to try to exclusively drive on M mode going forward.
I wonder what long-term effects that will have. In M mode the torque converter gets locked up from 2nd to 6th gear.
Old 07-10-18, 01:25 PM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing I hate is how it feels like the car automatically shifts out of 1st and 2nd much sooner than you think/feel it should. Every other car I've owned would stay in gear when in Manual mode and just bounce of the rev limiter. I suppose this isn't a big deal, but it just feels like it shifts out of 1st and 2nd early.
Old 07-10-18, 01:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
The only thing I hate is how it feels like the car automatically shifts out of 1st and 2nd much sooner than you think/feel it should. Every other car I've owned would stay in gear when in Manual mode and just bounce of the rev limiter. I suppose this isn't a big deal, but it just feels like it shifts out of 1st and 2nd early.
Can always turn the TC and VSC off - then you have the ability to hit the limiter.
The following users liked this post:
Former5SFE (07-12-18)
Old 07-10-18, 02:16 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
I believe it was November 2013 when production changed and cars started to be able to bounce off the limiter when in manual mode. It says it will in the owners manual however, another thread determined cars produced before 11/2013 (I think) would not bounce off the limiter and instead shift up even in manual.

Quick Reply: Drive Mode - Temporary Shift Range