IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Drive Mode - Temporary Shift Range

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-18, 03:01 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

FWLIW the 2IS has a variant on this. If you paddle down to say 3rd gear it won't exceed 3rd until you paddle up or come to a complete stop.
Once stopped it reverts to 1st through 6th use.

Did they do this to the 3IS?
A quick press of the Trac button and it disables Trac until the vehicle hits and sustains 40mph for few seconds (IIRC) and then enables Trac. This can be defeated by holding trac for 5+ seconds while stopped. It remains disabled until key off, you wreck (all nannies off), or press the button again .
Old 07-10-18, 03:16 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

FWLIW the 2IS has a variant on this. If you paddle down to say 3rd gear it won't exceed 3rd until you paddle up or come to a complete stop.
Sounds better. In the 3IS it will also revert by just pressing the gas.

I'm gonna try that full-off for the TC today! There are times I'd like to have it remain off at 2nd gear without having to stop again if course.
Old 07-12-18, 08:49 AM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Can always turn the TC and VSC off - then you have the ability to hit the limiter.
Did not know this!!! Will try it out today
Old 07-12-18, 09:12 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,478 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
I believe it was November 2013 when production changed and cars started to be able to bounce off the limiter when in manual mode. It says it will in the owners manual however, another thread determined cars produced before 11/2013 (I think) would not bounce off the limiter and instead shift up even in manual.
That's interesting....
My 2IS has a 2012-11 production date and bounces off the limiter until shifted manually.
If you were tracking the 3IS the auto shift thing could be a huge bummer if corner entry speed happened to be near redline and it shifted right then and you loose engine braking...
Old 07-12-18, 12:34 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
That's interesting....
My 2IS has a 2012-11 production date and bounces off the limiter until shifted manually.
If you were tracking the 3IS the auto shift thing could be a huge bummer if corner entry speed happened to be near redline and it shifted right then and you loose engine braking...
I think HOMER350 was referring only to the first few months of 3IS production. Mines a 08-2013 production, so I would be in the group he's referring to.
Old 07-12-18, 02:27 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Did they do this to the 3IS?
A quick press of the Trac button and it disables Trac until the vehicle hits and sustains 40mph for few seconds (IIRC) and then enables Trac. This can be defeated by holding trac for 5+ seconds while stopped. It remains disabled until key off, you wreck (all nannies off), or press the button again .
That's interesting....
Yup as Sansuke said just the first few months of production for the 3IS. Mine was built 07/2013.

Yup it would be a bit of a bummer. A few times a week I drive the car pretty dang hard and it's not a great loss but on occasion I do have to pop it down a gear after I did not intend for an up shift. With the 8 speed trans 2-4th gear is where I spend most of my time when pushing the car so again it doesn't bug me much as I can flip through these pretty quick.

BTW that turning trac all the way off (new to me) allowed the car to shift at the 7.2k rpm point instead of 6.9 where it usually would. Awesome. Thanks!
Old 07-12-18, 02:35 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,490 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Yup as Sansuke said just the first few months of production for the 3IS. Mine was built 07/2013.

Yup it would be a bit of a bummer. A few times a week I drive the car pretty dang hard and it's not a great loss but on occasion I do have to pop it down a gear after I did not intend for an up shift. With the 8 speed trans 2-4th gear is where I spend most of my time when pushing the car so again it doesn't bug me much as I can flip through these pretty quick.

BTW that turning trac all the way off (new to me) allowed the car to shift at the 7.2k rpm point instead of 6.9 where it usually would. Awesome. Thanks!
Yeah for some reason, in D drive, it'll shift at 6200-6300 or so even if floored (with the stock limit of 6600 RPM). It's very silly. In M, it'll hold it to redline but auto-shift. I don't have a tuned car so I am not sure how it works there, but seems like it's similar in that it shifts about 300 RPM before the limiter.
Old 07-12-18, 04:53 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Yeah for some reason, in D drive, it'll shift at 6200-6300 or so even if floored (with the stock limit of 6600 RPM). It's very silly. In M, it'll hold it to redline but auto-shift. I don't have a tuned car so I am not sure how it works there, but seems like it's similar in that it shifts about 300 RPM before the limiter.
I as having an entirely different conversation in my head (about tuning) when I posted "7.2 k rpms". Mine behaves much like yours I notice arentz. Although I could of sworn I surpassed the limit a bit in 2nd gear uphill but i guess i was seeing things and I was unable to watch real closely.

It will shift at the 6600 limit with TC off and manual mode, regularly so far. Manual mode TC on about 6300. Drive mode TC on it will be as low as 6100 depending on what mood the car is in.

Just burned through the quickest last quarter tank in a long time playing around with this
Old 07-13-18, 06:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I tested it out this morning. The D mode in Normal and Sport shifts at ~6200 rpms. The Manual mode with Sport setting, trac on, it auto shifts around ~6500 rpms. There is pretty good pull on the remaining 300-400 rpms left so its good to know that if you really want to pull hard to redline, shift that lever to the left. One question...is there a difference in redline shifts between Manual mode and Normal and Manual mode and Sport? there shouldn't be but just wanted to know if you knew.
Old 07-13-18, 09:13 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

However, if you put the car in D4 (using paddle shifters while the shift lever is in the D position) than the car will shift normally through gears 1-4, but not exceed 4th. You've then set your "shift range" to gears 1-4.

That is how I understand it is "supposed" to work. .
That's not how it works. There is no gear limiter. The ecu will resume normal transmission function to provide best fuel economy.
Old 07-13-18, 09:21 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Right. Activating "M" mode while in D, by using the paddles, is merely a temporary override allowing you to shift up or down. The car will resume normal "D" mode after a few seconds.
Old 07-13-18, 11:13 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by EZZ
I tested it out this morning. The D mode in Normal and Sport shifts at ~6200 rpms. The Manual mode with Sport setting, trac on, it auto shifts around ~6500 rpms. There is pretty good pull on the remaining 300-400 rpms left so its good to know that if you really want to pull hard to redline, shift that lever to the left. One question...is there a difference in redline shifts between Manual mode and Normal and Manual mode and Sport? there shouldn't be but just wanted to know if you knew.
From what I can tell, there is not any difference. If you pull the paddle before it reaches redline, it seems like the shift is executed faster. But if you are in M and allow it to auto-upshift, it will feel pretty much the same as in D.
Old 07-13-18, 11:44 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

From what I can tell, there is not any difference. If you pull the paddle before it reaches redline, it seems like the shift is executed faster. But if you are in M and allow it to auto-upshift, it will feel pretty much the same as in D.
I tested in normal mode with M mode and it shifted around ~6500 rpm. If i leave in D, it shifts around 6200 rpm. There is a noticeable difference between the shift points between the two modes. If i turn off trac, it just bounces off the rev-limiter
Old 07-13-18, 12:58 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by EZZ
I tested in normal mode with M mode and it shifted around ~6500 rpm. If i leave in D, it shifts around 6200 rpm. There is a noticeable difference between the shift points between the two modes. If i turn off trac, it just bounces off the rev-limiter
Correct.
I think he was asking about the auto-upshift quality at redline as compared to the shifts in D drive, of which I can tell no difference. Obviously it shifts earlier in D as has been previously posted. But, the speed/feel of the shifts seems to be the same to me.
Old 07-13-18, 01:43 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Anyone use this mode?

While in drive mode, we're able to select a top / maximum gear the car will shift into, temporarily. Do this by using
the paddle shifters and selecting a gear 2-8 (2-6 on six speed).

Nice for downshifts when I dont want to be in manual mode. However, would be even nicer if it worked as it seems it's supposed to. When in traffic, I dont need the car shifting up to 5th gear at 25mph, but rather would like to limit this to say 3rd gear as I know I'm about to slow back to 5mph.

However, the problem is the after pushing the accelerator for 4 seconds it comes out of this mode, rendering it useless for my purposes. I guess it's the "temporary" part that's got me baffled

Anyone use this and find a good purpose for it?

is this on every model including is200t?

Quick Reply: Drive Mode - Temporary Shift Range