IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Air Oil Seperator

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 06:14 PM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Oil Seperator

Re Racing has an air oil separator that they are offering for our vehicle. I was wondering if I'm going to see any benefit if I don't track my car?
Old 07-06-18, 06:38 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

If you're referring to the RR Racing Air Oil Separator, all it is really is an oil catch can.
Would it be beneficial? Sure...it won't hurt anything...especially with a vehicle equipped with direct injection it would be beneficial...so basically 3IS.
Old 07-07-18, 12:51 PM
nan88
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Do you have a link, would be interested in one.
Old 07-07-18, 05:55 PM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nan88
Do you have a link, would be interested in one.
https://www.rr-racing.com/v/mobile/product.asp?productid=ISXAOS0002
The following users liked this post:
nan88 (07-07-18)
Old 07-07-18, 07:06 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by irkthejerk
https://www.rr-racing.com/v/mobile/product.asp?productid=ISXAOS0002
So would this work for the 4 cylinder turbo engine? They seem to be very specific about it being for the 350.
Old 07-07-18, 07:19 PM
nan88
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

So would this work for the 4 cylinder turbo engine? They seem to be very specific about it being for the 350.
Been waiting for one too.
We just need to find where the pcv system is running and intercept it with a oil catch can.
But this one seems to be 2GR-FSE specific. I'm guessing mounting, tubing, and pcv points.
Old 07-07-18, 07:26 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Likely the reason they specify the 300 and 350 is because the mounting bracket and hoses have been custom made to fit the engine bay of those vehicles.
As the 250 and 200t are different under the hood, it probably won't mount in the same location as intended for the 300 and 350.
At $189.99 USD it's a little on the pricey side. It's probably $100 for the actual universal catch can, and then the extra $90 for the customer bracket and hoses...and R&D to make it.

Last edited by Sasnuke; 07-07-18 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-09-18, 08:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

change your oil frequently (as you should be) and replace PCV valve as needed. no need to add some random tuner parts to the engine bay. you're just giving yourself extra things to check, empty, and clean for no good reason. i've also noticed 0 oil drop on my 200t despite driving/boosting as hard as i do in triple degree weather. last check at 10,000 miles, zero drop. which is incredible for a hard driven turbo car. so if there's oil being consumed, it's negligible

if you have a full blown track car where you see the hood open a lot, then i'd say why not. but for a street car, i'm not seeing it. even if you do like to floor it.
Old 07-09-18, 08:24 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

The only reason I even contemplate a catch can is because of this but it could be certain automakers have more issues with it than others.

Last edited by Flash5; 07-09-18 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Grammatical error.
Old 07-09-18, 09:02 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah it certainly catches the gunk that would otherwise be recirculated but good quality oil and filters help mitigate that, especially at tighter OCIs. At the end of the day though, all these cars will easily pass 200,000 miles with or without one. I used to rebuild these systems quite a bit for BMWs--they're relatively quite complex, piping/plumbing everywhere. Took a few hours. I haven't looked at it but I think our cars use one little valve that takes seconds to replace. I'll have to check that out for the 200t (out of curiosity)
Old 07-09-18, 02:18 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I think what should be recognized here is that the PCV valve and oil catch can (OCC) are here for similar but different purposes.
They both allow the crankcase to vent back into the intake, however, the PCV valve allows everything to vent back into the intake, while the OCC attempts to seperate out the oil and allow the remainder to vent back into the intake.
When a PCV valve stops operating, likely stuck due to crud inside it, then replacement is the most effective method to restore function. If the OCC stops venting, then empty it (hopefully no one waits that long)...pretty straight forward.

For some vehicles the OCC will be more, or less, effective. On a vehicle with only direct injection, like the 250 (which I have), this will be more effective over any of the other 3IS variants.
As the 250 has no injectors to wash the back of the intake valves, that oil that an OCC would capture is now caking up my intake and the back of the intake valves.

I'm contemplating installing one...but really need to find a quality unit that won't completely break the bank. The OEM one from the video looks like some engineering went into it...but I'm sure it's reflected in the price.
Realistically you don't need anything huge once you empty it at each oil change...which is recommended since you're in there anyways.
Mounting location also needs to be factored in...having it near the factory PCV valve would minimize running hoses all over the engine bay.

It's on my list...
Old 07-09-18, 07:27 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
change your oil frequently (as you should be) and replace PCV valve as needed. no need to add some random tuner parts to the engine bay. you're just giving yourself extra things to check, empty, and clean for no good reason. i've also noticed 0 oil drop on my 200t despite driving/boosting as hard as i do in triple degree weather. last check at 10,000 miles, zero drop. which is incredible for a hard driven turbo car. so if there's oil being consumed, it's negligible

if you have a full blown track car where you see the hood open a lot, then i'd say why not. but for a street car, i'm not seeing it. even if you do like to floor it.
That impossible ! you installed it wrong, you're talking to a lot of Car Tuners and car Guys here sir and even Engineer ! i had Oil Catch can on my 250/350 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen 350, TRD Solara Supercharge, old Supra/Prelude, the Oil Air Separator is good for Direct Injection and Turbo Engine.

everyone change oil in time, PCV valve don't need to replace unless it stucks, i don't track anymore my Solara is City driving now and i get oil in that can like crazy too, my Lexus is daily commute work car and it drops quite amount of oil in the can.
Old 07-10-18, 09:10 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Solara350
That impossible ! you installed it wrong, you're talking to a lot of Car Tuners and car Guys here sir and even Engineer ! i had Oil Catch can on my 250/350 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen 350, TRD Solara Supercharge, old Supra/Prelude, the Oil Air Separator is good for Direct Injection and Turbo Engine.

everyone change oil in time, PCV valve don't need to replace unless it stucks, i don't track anymore my Solara is City driving now and i get oil in that can like crazy too, my Lexus is daily commute work car and it drops quite amount of oil in the can.
I could not understand anything you wrote there. Not sure what you are saying. My car and oil system is stock. I didn't install anything. No oil loss.
Old 07-12-18, 04:59 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
I could not understand anything you wrote there. Not sure what you are saying. My car and oil system is stock. I didn't install anything. No oil loss.
you said you’ve installed it and its not working ? You dont get any drop ? Lol dont understand what ive said ? Dont play dumb my friend you’re over talking . Well i dont understand you at all lol i mean what are you talking about ?
Old 07-12-18, 05:05 PM
Solara350
Instructor

I don't think many people understand you tbh it's hard to understand because of your grammar, not trying to be rude at all .
its ok thats straight up answer , dont just play dumb , i know my grammar isnt perfect but they’re understandable , you guys just hate the way i talk. Some of you wanna be smart thats all

Quick Reply: Air Oil Seperator