IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-18, 02:19 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Distortion will depend on song but generally modern stereos have tricks to lower subwoofer gain to avoid distortion

as far as subwoofer line control, get it. can't recommend it enough. sometimes you'll have really strong bass when you want to relax and sometimes it'll be too weak. installed mine using just fingers. no tools. completely stealth
Old 08-17-18, 05:13 PM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Distortion will depend on song but generally modern stereos have tricks to lower subwoofer gain to avoid distortion

as far as subwoofer line control, get it. can't recommend it enough. sometimes you'll have really strong bass when you want to relax and sometimes it'll be too weak. installed mine using just fingers. no tools. completely stealth
I think I made a mistake of stepping into highend audio shop. Of course I'm not going to spend 5k (he called it basic setup) on audio system with signal processor and all but it made me feel my audio system sucks and adding sub will still suck.
Old 08-18-18, 02:07 AM
lance55
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yohan81718
I think I made a mistake of stepping into highend audio shop. Of course I'm not going to spend 5k (he called it basic setup) on audio system with signal processor and all but it made me feel my audio system sucks and adding sub will still suck.
I wouldn't sweat it. Especially If you're only playing at volume 30, a mid range amp and sub will give enough extra bass to regular or ML to sound pretty good. Just make sure your music is high bitrate.

And yeah, you definitely want a bass ****. Like E46 said, sometimes you want to relax, but also, you'll want to adjust it with virtually every song. I have to crank mine for some, lower it for others. Depends not only on the genre but also the production.
Old 08-19-18, 04:12 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Here's a dumb question... for those that have the 2018 IS F-Sport, it mentions the wheels are aluminum. Are they really aluminum throughout or just an aluminum coating on the wheel?

Reason why I ask is because on my old car I had an old set of silver Motegi rims and on one of the rims, the surface actually had been flaking/peeling off over the years... like small flakes like paint has chipped off revealing an aluminum/machine-looking metal underneath. It looks horrible and I'm guessing it was failed powder coating?
Old 08-19-18, 06:39 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Here's a dumb question... for those that have the 2018 IS F-Sport, it mentions the wheels are aluminum. Are they really aluminum throughout or just an aluminum coating on the wheel?

Reason why I ask is because on my old car I had an old set of silver Motegi rims and on one of the rims, the surface actually had been flaking/peeling off over the years... like small flakes like paint has chipped off revealing an aluminum/machine-looking metal underneath. It looks horrible and I'm guessing it was failed powder coating?
Mine definitely seem to be aluminum.
Old 08-20-18, 08:07 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sirdizzle
Turn on the AC, turn the temperature down to LOW and let it run for a few min to "clear out the pipes" so to speak. Then turn off AC. I had a 2nd gen IS350 and have a 3rd gen IS350. I notice the heat radiating into the cabin from the vents even with the fan and AC off when the heater is set to anything but low.
The discussion of heat radiating from the vents came up in this thread, and I really noticed it yesterday.
It was an unusually cool day, and I had the climate control off.......but it felt like the heat was on.
I was driving with the windows down, but it got too hot. I had to fire up the the A/C to "clear the pipes".
Does one clearing of the pipes usually solve it for the drive?
Old 08-20-18, 08:18 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
The discussion of heat radiating from the vents came up in this thread, and I really noticed it yesterday.
It was an unusually cool day, and I had the climate control off.......but it felt like the heat was on.
I was driving with the windows down, but it got too hot. I had to fire up the the A/C to "clear the pipes".
Does one clearing of the pipes usually solve it for the drive?
My recommendation would be to leave the system in AUTO mode. On cooler days, it'll work itself out (we just had one of those here as well). I don't think I have taken it out of AUTO in many months now.
The following users liked this post:
RKSTRAT (08-20-18)
Old 08-20-18, 11:14 AM
Former5SFE
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it normal for the wipers on these cars to not automatically swipe after holding the stalk in washer position? Every car I've ever owned would eventually start wiping if you held it down long enough. It's kind of cumbersome holding it in spray mode, then flipping the stalk down, and repeating as necessary. Thought this was kinda odd.
Old 08-20-18, 01:08 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Former5SFE
Is it normal for the wipers on these cars to not automatically swipe after holding the stalk in washer position? Every car I've ever owned would eventually start wiping if you held it down long enough. It's kind of cumbersome holding it in spray mode, then flipping the stalk down, and repeating as necessary. Thought this was kinda odd.
If you hold the washer position a bit longer, the wipers should come on. I've noticed if I very quickly use the washers, it doesn't always activate the wipers.
Old 08-20-18, 01:50 PM
Former5SFE
Driver

Hmm, there may be something wrong with mine then. I've held it in washer position for a good 5 seconds (which is an eternity in washer spraying time) and nothing happens. I'll try on my way home from work again.
Old 08-21-18, 09:21 AM
Former5SFE
Driver

Okay, there's actually nothing wrong with mine. You just really have to hold it down a while to get them to automatically swipe. I'm just not used to it being this long, so I never held it down long enough haha.

Another question before I bring into the dealer for some minor fixes before bumper-to-bumper expires, can the headlight aim be easily adjusted myself? 2015 IS350 F sport. I cant find anything about it in the manual. Mine need to be adjusted up maybe 5 degrees at most. They're just a tad too low. I've noticed when I'm right next to someone on the highway, their headlights go a bit farther than mine.
Old 08-21-18, 10:11 AM
Colorway
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the joystick for the center console is moved in any direction (up, down, left, or right) is it supposed to bounce back to the middle? Or does it just stay to where it was moved?
Old 08-21-18, 12:35 PM
abaitedcat
Driver

How do I play music or roll windows when the Engine isn't on? I've never had a keyless entry thingy like this before so I'm confused. Thank you.
Old 08-21-18, 12:47 PM
MorrisGray
Driver School Candidate

Okay, I have a new dumb question.... Is the IS350 a bigger car than the IS250?
Here is why I ask. I was at work talking about shopping for a new IS350 and one guy says he has a 2007 IS250 and his friend has a IS350. He proceeds to tell me the IS350 his friend owns has more room in the back seat than his IS250. I say that maybe they had increased the roominess in newer models and asked him if his friends was a newer model. He says no the 350 is bigger than the 250, kind of like BMW 3 series vs BMW 4 series. I thought he didn't know what he was talking about but am unsure about the older model of the IS. Was he correct?

As far as I can tell now at least, the only difference in a IS any size motor, is just the motor size.
Old 08-21-18, 01:10 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by MorrisGray
Okay, I have a new dumb question.... Is the IS350 a bigger car than the IS250?
Here is why I ask. I was at work talking about shopping for a new IS350 and one guy says he has a 2007 IS250 and his friend has a IS350. He proceeds to tell me the IS350 his friend owns has more room in the back seat than his IS250. I say that maybe they had increased the roominess in newer models and asked him if his friends was a newer model. He says no the 350 is bigger than the 250, kind of like BMW 3 series vs BMW 4 series. I thought he didn't know what he was talking about but am unsure about the older model of the IS. Was he correct?

As far as I can tell now at least, the only difference in a IS any size motor, is just the motor size.
Within generations, the cars are same size regardless of engine choice.

Maybe he means the 3IS is larger than the 2IS which is true. And the 3IS just so happened to be a 350 while the 2IS he's comparing it to just so happened to be a 250. Engine doesn't matter. Generation does.

Quick Reply: 3IS Simple/"Dumb" Questions Thread - Ask away and get answers!