IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Bad caliper paint job

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 05:05 PM
NGPRI350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad caliper paint job

Hey guys first post here, I have a 3Is And wanted to get the calipers painted orange. They used the G2 caliper paint kit and let it cure over night. When I went to pick it up the pair job was poorly done, lots of viable brush strokes and some areas where you can see through the paint to the base. On top of that when I went to pick it up they said they noticed a crack in the axel hub. I took it to the dealership to get that fixed under warranty and the people at the dealership think it happened when the car was being lifted up to get the wheels off. What is the best course of option to take? I already paid for the work and am taking it back tomorrow to see if they can touch up the paint job.
Old 05-10-18, 10:38 PM
NGPRI350
Driver School Candidate

Shameless bump
Old 05-11-18, 01:24 AM
faisal11ir
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually G2 paint isn't that reliable won't stand brake cleaners or steam wash, best is powder coating or you can check the new reflective foils.
Old 05-11-18, 11:49 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Even the best paint will suffer a poor finish at the hands of bad prep.
If they couldn't do it right the first time, I can't imagine taking it back will rectify the issue.

Powdercoating if definitely the way to go, but more expensive and time consuming.

Either find a reputable facility to do the paint again, or step up to the powdercoating.
Old 05-11-18, 12:03 PM
NGPRI350
Driver School Candidate

So I went back today and they were saying it's because lexus uses cheap calipers and the finish on the OEM calipers were rough so the paint didn't stick well and they ran out towards the end. Only getting a partial refund and asked them to strip the paint, any one know if using paint remover discolors the stock look?
Old 05-11-18, 12:12 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by NGPRI350
... because lexus uses cheap calipers ...

Ouch...well that's harsh. Lexus doesn't make the calipers, they are made by Advics, who makes calipers for the Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Subaru, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Mercedes Benz, and VW...and I probably missed a couple.
So I'd like to know which calipers they are painting that are not cheap, because I've pretty much named every typically passenger car on the road.

I can't imagine the paint remover will damage the caliper finish, but I guess you'll find out. I'd be more concerned about the caliper boots for the pistons...hopefully they don't go crazy with the paint remover.
The following users liked this post:
link13 (05-17-18)
Old 05-11-18, 02:10 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,654 Posts

They're absolute idiots. That wouldn't last a nanosecond with me

Let this be a lesson though. always DIY. never pay anyone to do anything you can do with your own hands. because it often involves a ton of other steps like lifting the car. and teenage bozos (aside from not knowing S), will mess up your car cause it's not theirs
Old 05-17-18, 03:31 AM
504boy
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys first post here, I have a 3Is And wanted to get the calipers painted orange. They used the G2 caliper paint kit and let it cure over night. When I went to pick it up the pair job was poorly done, lots of viable brush strokes and some areas where you can see through the paint to the base. On top of that when I went to pick it up they said they noticed a crack in the axel hub. I took it to the dealership to get that fixed under warranty and the people at the dealership think it happened when the car was being lifted up to get the wheels off. What is the best course of option to take? I already paid for the work and am taking it back tomorrow to see if they can touch up the paint job.

came out kinda redish/orange..
Old 05-17-18, 07:47 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have used G2 on several of my cars with good results. The color has typically lasted several years before it starts to degrade. Even then, looks better than rusty Toyota calipers!
Old 05-17-18, 08:32 AM
NGPRI350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nwfsnake
I have used G2 on several of my cars with good results. The color has typically lasted several years before it starts to degrade. Even then, looks better than rusty Toyota calipers!
but did it have a smooth finish or can you kind of see brush strokes and unevenness?
Old 05-17-18, 09:46 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I always do two coats, I think that was the mistake. Trying to do one thick coat never works. The second coat seems to flow out better and dries to a nice gloss. On my son's is200t, two coats of the red G2 dried smooth enough to apply a LEXUS high heat decal to the front calipers. Looks great, especially when moving!
Old 05-23-18, 09:25 PM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

I can tell you from experience that the Advic coating on the 350 calipers is rock solid. I tried to chemical strip it with aircraft paint stripper and it didn’t budge or anything. I ended up leaving it and just sanding it before I did mine with PPG basecoat and clear coat paint.

So I went back today and they were saying it's because lexus uses cheap calipers and the finish on the OEM calipers were rough so the paint didn't stick well and they ran out towards the end. Only getting a partial refund and asked them to strip the paint, any one know if using paint remover discolors the stock look?