IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS350 vs IS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-18, 08:36 PM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default IS350 vs IS350 F Sport

Hi, I'm looking at buying a IS350 and I have some pretty specific questions that i haven't seen answered anywhere else, so I figured I would ask them here.
1. Is the ML audio upgrade worth it and can you get it on a non F Sport? The only cars I've seen it on are F Sports. I've seen bantering back and forth, but I'm looking for a more discerning post, not just "nah it sucks" or "yeah, it's incredible".
2. Is the difference between Sport and Sport+ only in the active dampening, or does it change the transmission and engine parameters too? Put another way, is the only difference between them suspension related or is the F Sport gaining faster shifts and the like?
3. I can't seem to nail it down, the threads seem dubious but is it possible to swap in the gauge cluster? I admit that I love the cool LFA gauge cluster and I'll have to stare at it all the time, might as well be something I like.
4. Are the seats swappable? My wife doesn't like all the heavy bolstering in the F Sport so I've thought about finding a (good) used seat for the passenger side, and yes, I know it'll look funny.
5. It seems the cars are mostly on equal footing when it comes to 0-60 and quarter mile times, so the F sport just looks better (SUBJECTIVELY!) and handles better, right?

Thanks!
Old 05-06-18, 09:03 PM
trinhtd
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NoMoreBimm
Hi, I'm looking at buying a IS350 and I have some pretty specific questions that i haven't seen answered anywhere else, so I figured I would ask them here.
1. Is the ML audio upgrade worth it and can you get it on a non F Sport? The only cars I've seen it on are F Sports. I've seen bantering back and forth, but I'm looking for a more discerning post, not just "nah it sucks" or "yeah, it's incredible".
2. Is the difference between Sport and Sport+ only in the active dampening, or does it change the transmission and engine parameters too? Put another way, is the only difference between them suspension related or is the F Sport gaining faster shifts and the like?
3. I can't seem to nail it down, the threads seem dubious but is it possible to swap in the gauge cluster? I admit that I love the cool LFA gauge cluster and I'll have to stare at it all the time, might as well be something I like.
4. Are the seats swappable? My wife doesn't like all the heavy bolstering in the F Sport so I've thought about finding a (good) used seat for the passenger side, and yes, I know it'll look funny.
5. It seems the cars are mostly on equal footing when it comes to 0-60 and quarter mile times, so the F sport just looks better (SUBJECTIVELY!) and handles better, right?

Thanks!
1. ive only really listen to the ML speakers and like them has good bass and clean sound. really havent played around with the setting
2. sport and sport + only difference is dampening then normal to sports it changes engine parameters with holding gears at higher rpms for longer and such
3. gauge swaps dont remember if it was swapable but it would cost so much it wouldnt be worth it. I love the LFA style gauge thats the first thing i show my passengers haha
4. no sure. is the only difference the bolstering? i love the way i fit in the f sport seats its hugs you and the lumbar support! (5'10 165lbs)
5. is this car for you or your wife? if its for you get the f sport cause i know youll regret getting the non sport.
The following users liked this post:
NoMoreBimm (05-07-18)
Old 05-07-18, 07:11 AM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks - the reason I'm curious about the difference between them is there's a small price difference, but largely it's because I like the tan interior, but that's not an option on the F Sport, they can only be gray, black or red. I guess it's not a big deal, but i'll be staring at it for many years, so I'd like make sure I get my money's worth.
Old 05-07-18, 07:17 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

In Sport+, the steering gets pretty heavy. Also, the F-Sport suspension has AVS so it does feel noticeably sportier overall.

Driving enthusiasts notice but others may not. I would test drive both and see if it matters to you.

Edit: AVS can be felt in all modes. Sport+ mode makes the dampers stiffer for really aggressive driving.
Old 05-07-18, 07:26 AM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
In Sport+, the steering gets pretty heavy. Also, the F-Sport suspension has AVS so it does feel noticeably sportier overall.

Driving enthusiasts notice but others may not. I would test drive both and see if it matters to you.

Edit: AVS can be felt in all modes. Sport+ mode makes the dampers stiffer for really aggressive driving.
So it sounds like it doesn't affect the throttle mapping or the transmission shift points, just the dynamic suspension and stuff. I'm not minimizing what it does, just making sure they're basically the same in a straight line.
Old 05-07-18, 09:34 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

The same. If it comes with the 17 inch wheels, might be even faster
Old 05-07-18, 09:43 AM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

Oh well there we go, problem solved! Thanks a lot for your help, makes picking a car a lot easier.
Old 05-07-18, 12:51 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Looks better/handles better package. don't forget the F Sport headliner which is unique and sets it apart from non f-sports.

Loved it in my CT200h F Sport (felt so premium compared to the standard gray headliner) and now in my IS
NoMoreBimm (05-07-18)
Old 05-07-18, 01:03 PM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Looks better/handles better package. don't forget the F Sport headliner which is unique and sets it apart from non f-sports.

Loved it in my CT200h F Sport (felt so premium compared to the standard gray headliner) and now in my IS
​​​​​​​Thanks for the insight, I didn't realize the headliner was different, that's pretty cool! The more I learn the more I realize that the F Sport is really the only way for me to go, even if I can't get the tan interior in it. Also, E46CT - I went through some of your DIYs in your signature and they're great. If I end up with an IS (and I should...) then I will DEFINITELY be doing some of them. Thanks!
Old 05-07-18, 04:01 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

For sure! Yes the F Sport is a no brainer, in my opinion. F sport also gets a different brake booster (for whatever reason) so maybe it stops faster? =D
Old 05-08-18, 05:42 AM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

I just noticed the AWD version gets a 6 speed while the RWD gets an 8 speed, I can't fathom that they perform very different, but is there any difference in the shifting speed or responsiveness of the transmission?
Old 05-08-18, 06:36 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoMoreBimm
I just noticed the AWD version gets a 6 speed while the RWD gets an 8 speed, I can't fathom that they perform very different, but is there any difference in the shifting speed or responsiveness of the transmission?
Not much straight line speed difference but the 8 speed is noticeably better in aggressive driving in terms of shift quality. It will shift faster and you can bang off the rev limiter if you are in Sport mode with the traction control off.

The bigger difference will be in driving feel between the AWD and RWD. The AWD will tend to plow into corners more and feel a little less nimble than the RWD. It's similar to the difference in the AWD vs RWD BMWs.
NoMoreBimm (05-08-18)
Old 05-08-18, 07:39 AM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

Ah ok, got ya. I had contemplated the AWD version because we can get some snow here in Ohio, but from what I've read about the RWD IS350 it's not that bad in the snow, worst case get some snow tires. Also, I drove a C5 Corvette through the winter last year, so I feel just about anything out there will fare better. Thanks again, I'll aim for a RWD, but be content if the right AWD shows up instead.
Old 05-08-18, 08:50 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Back in 2013 when the 3IS came out, Motor Trend did a fairly extensive review of each model (250, 350 AWD, 350 RWD F Sport). It's getting a bit dated, but still relevant.

A couple relevant points to your questions:

Of the 350 AWD (non F Sport):

When it comes to how the car drives, the difference is less obvious. You might expect the AWD would change the handling characteristics, but it isn’t noticeable. The steering is no heavier and no less communicative, and there’s no hint of torque steer. An advantage of the full-time all-wheel drive system is you’ll never feel the front axle connecting and disconnecting, which means it won’t upset the handling. A disadvantage is a small penalty in fuel economy, which is already slightly low for the class. Understeer is still the default when you test the limits.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...-awd-update-3/

Of the 350 RWD F Sport:
Before we get into the numbers, I’ll explain what the F Sport package is and isn’t. This is not the new IS F. It’s got the same 306-hp V-6 as the standard IS 350, making the same 277 lb-ft of torque. As this one is rear-wheel drive, it’s paired with an eight-speed automatic rather than the all-wheel-drive car’s six-speed auto. What the F Sport package does, performance-wise, is add a Sport S+ mode to the drive mode selector (in addition to regular old Sport), adaptive damping, and exclusive 18-inch wheels on Bridgestone Turanza summer touring tires. Cosmetically, the F Sport package does a lot more, adding a new front bumper, LED headlights, leather steering wheel, leather shift ****, heated leather seats, aluminum pedals, black headliner, and a very cool reconfigurable digital instrument cluster lifted from the LFA supercar. Not listed on the window sticker is a valve in the air intake that lets a nice growl of induction noise into the cabin when you’re hard on the gas.

That’s what F Sport is. Here’s what it does: Our long-term F Sport needed 5.6 seconds to hit 60 mph and 14.0 seconds flat to run the quarter-mile, trapping at 99.8 mph. You’ll note, though, that this is slower than the IS 350 AWD it replaced in the long-term fleet. That car, with its all-wheel-drive grip, got a much better launch and hit 60 mph in 5.3 seconds on the way to a 13.9-second quarter mile at 99.4 mph. The rear-wheel-drive F Sport had some trouble putting the power down, something I think better tires would’ve helped, perhaps Potenzas instead of Turanzas.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lexus...port-update-5/
NoMoreBimm (05-08-18)
Old 05-08-18, 09:36 AM
NoMoreBimm
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I appreciate that and it answers all my questions. It's settled: AWD or RWD isn't really important, so which ever pops up with the better deal is what I'll go for. I just wish I could hear the base audio vs the ML audio, because finding one with ML audio is proving very elusive.

Quick Reply: IS350 vs IS350 F Sport